Driving Real-Life Cars the Videogame Way

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Driving Real-Life Cars the Videogame Way

Thanks to the miracle of violent, hilarious science, we now have irrefutable proof that driving a car in a videogame is absolutely nothing at all like driving a car in real life.

Serious simulators aside, most videogames force players to drive their cars from the third-person view, a perspective that not only shows off the action better than a cockpit view but also helps compensate for the lack of peripheral vision inherent in games. But how would that point of view work in real life? The intrepid science team at Rooster Teeth decided to find out.

Using "$2500 worth of camera equipment sitting on top of what looks like duct tape and zip ties," the team attached a video rig to a Ford pickup with blacked-out windows, then had two expert test drivers take it out for a spin. The name of the game was to stay within the preset course and avoid - or possibly hit, that part isn't too clear - all the "inflatable pedestrians" along the side of the road. To ensure genuine videogame authenticity, two members of the Yakuza also took part in the experiment.

The results are about what you'd expect: Funny, violent and laced with obscenities. Educational, too! But really, kids: Please don't try this at home. (And if you do, be sure to get video.)

I think this is flawed, saw it the other day and the camera angle is all wrong. A bit higher, not so steep and a bit of practice I'd say it's very doable!

Love the Triad lads beating them before they drive.

Stinger ending made me laugh. Pretty inaccurate representation though. Camera was pretty low and angled pretty high.

Ah yes the Roosterteeth guys....the creators of Halo Machinima and Red VS Blue.

Hilarious!!!!! LOL!!

Ive been watching this video for the past 2 days, and i still laugh my ass off every time Gus gets kicked in the kidneys.

yeah, the camera was a bit off of how the angle is in games.
Still entertaining, I guess.

I thought they were going to sit in a room and drive the car remotely. That would have been a more accurate representation of what driving in videogames is like.

(Just hear me taking this too seriously.)

Gus has won science! Bow before the science-winner!

Much as I respect the thought of listening when people tell me to not try this at home....I want to try THIS at home!
Was cool seeing Griff live for once, and Gus and Geoff competing insanely as usual. ROFL! :D

Holy crap that was funny. I burst out laughing at work, had to show a fellow researcher.

That is so going on my list of things to do when I become rich and famous... Well, the fame isn't nesescary

LTK_70:
I thought they were going to sit in a room and drive the car remotely. That would have been a more accurate representation of what driving in videogames is like.

(Just hear me taking this too seriously.)

And for the complete likeness they should have automated the car so you can control it with analogue joysticks.

Hmm that could be funnish too bad they went so sloooowwww lol

Generic_Dave:
I think this is flawed, saw it the other day and the camera angle is all wrong. A bit higher, not so steep and a bit of practice I'd say it's very doable!

Yeah. Crappy camera angle. The reason they did so poorly was because they couldn't see anything in front of the car.

ThrobbingEgo:

Generic_Dave:

Yeah. Crappy camera angle. The reason they did so poorly was because they couldn't see anything in front of the car.

A nice 32" flatscreen rather than a tiny monitor might help too ;-)

The camera is placed at a terrible angle. Whenever I drive in games I always have to move the camera so I have a clear view of the road directly in front of me.

I've actually always wondered what that would be like, although I think that the camera wasn't quite high enough.

does holding in the break make it go backwards?

lmao, thats pretty epic.

Reminds me of my times on GTA and going over ramps and flying...

I died laughing when the Yakuza started kicking the shit out of them when they started going over to the car.

rofl if i had a liscence then i would so drive like i was in a vidya game.

That really brightened up my mood. It was hilarious.

You guys think that Geoff and Gus are "expert drivers"?

Thats funnier than the video!

My god, i love the roosterteeth crew.

Roosterteeth is incredible. This is just further proof

I would love to see this become a regular thing on their website

This makes me wish Mythbusters did video game myths...

Can a 14 year old girl hold a giant sword?! (Final Fantasy)

Do bandaids, food or water cure bullet wounds?! (Every action game ever)

Funniest thing I've seen all week.

The camera was much too low, couldn't see anything directly in front of the car.

"I win Science!" has become my new favorite phrase. However, I think that this, like all other experiments made primarily for entertainment, fails to test variables, control groups and use multiple test subjects (I.E. More than two)

samsonguy920:
Much as I respect the thought of listening when people tell me to not try this at home....I want to try THIS at home!
Was cool seeing Griff live for once, and Gus and Geoff competing insanely as usual. ROFL! :D

I know I was thinking the same thing, though I think that the article should change 'expert test drivers' too 'Gus and Geoff, two maniacs'. The only thing they are real experts on is put downs :) poor gav...

Best column post EVER

Excellent. I always love the reacts from Gus.

"Why do the valets need baseball bats?"

Really entertaining.

Loved the disclaimer (when you think about it, disclaimers are pretty pointless and are superseded by a tiny thing called "common sense"). The "Yakuzas" were also hilarious.
What did I learn? "That foam bats hurt about as much as real ones"... *chuckles*

That was so damn hilarious. Especially the Yakuza beating on them. But yeah funny little experiment that had me laughing all the way through.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here