StarCraft II Collector's Edition Revealed

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

StarCraft II Collector's Edition Revealed

Blizzard outdoes itself with the StarCraft II Collector's Edition: how can $99 feel like it's too little to pay for this much awesome?

As someone who has bought all of the collector's editions for World of Warcraft and its expansions, I was beginning to feel a little bit jaded. Sure, the art books are nice and the behind the scenes DVDs are interesting, and I never grow tired of someone in WoW asking me where I got a mini Diablo as a pet, but I was starting to wonder whether all of that swag was worth the price tag. And then Blizzard comes out with the details for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty collector's edition and I start to giggle shamefully like the fanboy I am. I don't even care that it costs a hundred bones. Do want.

There's no date set yet, but the beta has been out for a while so we may get a release date soon. Wings of Liberty is only the first of three StarCraft II titles and focuses on the Terran race, with a Zerg and Protoss campaign to follow.

Here's what you get for all of that love:

• The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
  • An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion set
  • A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more
  • The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
  • StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
  • A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
  • Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit

The Jim Raynor USB dogtags with the original games are just sweet, and the fact that you can customize your units in game, that's pure awesome-sauce. The rest is standard gravy, but knowing Blizz, its standard gravy tastes pretty damn good, especially when its poured over the chicken-fried steak of actually playing SC2. (I think I've exhausted this metaphor, don't you?)

Retailing for $100 is a bold move, considering other CEs top out around $80-90. But some inexplicable reason, I think this one might be worth it.

I'm just pissed that I'm going to have to buy a total three of these for StarCraft II, as I'm sure there will be special editions for Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void. Damn you Blizzard for being so awesome!

...Wow, in an age of collector editions being cheap spray painted toys from China and maybe an art book or two, this seams like it really deserves the name Collector Edition.

My god...

That thing looks like it could be the holy fucking grail!

Holy crap.

Do want.

So it contains everything but the game itself? Well that's kinda weird.

Time to start saving.

John Funk:
Holy crap.

Do want.

Couldnt have said that better myself. That is one fine piece of gaming history, wrapped up in a freaking AWESOME battlechest.

RanD00M:

I think that part was implied. I am tempted to pick this up and then try to make some money back a couple months later on selling the WoW pet to some silly pet hoarder. (No offence to all the hunters out there, I mean the silly NCP collectors)

Now the question is, how much will the WoW pet sell for on ebay afterwards? :) If you want to play sc2, but don't happen to play wow, you could probably recoup a lot of the cost that way.

RanD00M:

I think its assumed that people are intelligent enough to work out the game is included too.

Perhaps this is why all games are heading towards spoon feeding every minute detail.

Aside: I'm late to the party on this Starcraft deal, seeing everyone salivate at the mouth over this new one - how does it serve people who's only real forray into RTS is the C&C series?

God, I can't wait :D
also, I get the appeal of the Thor pet :P

I don't even care about Starcraft II and I'm in awe.

RanD00M:

A true Collector would've used connections to make a Pre-Order on Starcraft II the moment the 1st Starcraft was announced, thus already having the game Pre-Ordered and making the Collectors Edition containing the game utterly pointless.

Or they found that saying the game came with it was pointless, like how 360 Games no longer say Achievement Enabled on the back of the cases anymore.

John Funk:
Holy crap.

Do want.

Seconded, that was the first thing that went through my head, and I hate special editions.

Now that's what I call a collector's edition. Coffee table art book, The Complete Starcraft 1 on a USB, behind the scenes DVD, soundtrack CD and downloadable bonus swag. Gravy indeed.

A collectors Edition that actually effects the game? HOLY ZERGLING DROPPINGS!

Calumon: Whoa... Want it soooooo much!

Thats a fairly good boxset for tghe price too. Thats certainly worthy of the title of collectors edition.

Only thing that could have beat it is Bioshock 2 did come with Big Daddy XD

TheNumber1Zero:
A true Collector would've used connections to make a Pre-Order on Starcraft II the moment the 1st Starcraft was announced, thus already having the game Pre-Ordered and making the Collectors Edition containing the game utterly pointless.

Or they found that saying the game came with it was pointless, like how 360 Games no longer say Achievement Enabled on the back of the cases anymore.

I know that thinking that the game is included is self given.But think about it.Ever since Activision and Blizz merged,the quality of WoW has declined.And yet they make oodles of money.So they might sell the CE edition,and then you have to spend another $40 to get the actual game.

"decals to customize your units in-game" This worries me a bit, could hurt competitive gaming if it makes identifying units more difficult.

I must still be part of the minority who isn't excited about SC2. When they said there was no LAN play, they lost me. Blizz seems to be really into the whole CE version of games, but doesn't this seem like putting the cart a mile before the horse on this one since the game isn't even out yet, and they are already planning a CE version?

I am honestly not trying to be pessimistic about this game. It has been a long time since SC was new, and with a fresh generation getting exposure to this, it is something to be excited about. You can only hear Blizz talk about WoW so long before you tune out any news about Blizz at all if you aren't in to WoW. With the diminishing returns they are finally seeing on their prize cash cow project, and hopefully with Diablo 3 coming along in short order, I still have some faith in Blizz to create something that doesn't emulate WoW in a different dressing. SC is a universe unto itself, as is Diablo, but sadly games of those genres are falling in step with WoW because gamers are more familiar with the system in place.

Anyone think the replacement for WoW will eventually be World Of StarCraft?

This fills me with an urge to buy this game, and hunger for Steaks and Gravy. Mmmmmm...

Blizzard never fail when it comes to collectors editions. Hell, they just never fail!

I find myself considering buying this as ive never played starcraft before so having the original game would be a bonus. The wow stuff though has no effect on me. The case looks really awesome though

Random Bobcat:

I think its assumed that people are intelligent enough to work out the game is included too.

Perhaps this is why all games are heading towards spoon feeding every minute detail.

Aside: I'm late to the party on this Starcraft deal, seeing everyone salivate at the mouth over this new one - how does it serve people who's only real forray into RTS is the C&C series?

They're partnered with Activision now. Don't make assumptions.

...I was just considering stealing Starcraft 2 from somebody else, but I think I might just pick up the collectors edition anyways.

And I shall quote a famous philosopher.

a famous philosopher:
Damn...

Now I want to see what the usb looks like.

Really tempted by this...assuming this comes to UK.

BloodSquirrel:

They're partnered with Activision now. Don't make assumptions.

How clever, an Activision snipe.

My first thought was "holy *bleep*, one *hundred* dollars????".
Then I read: "An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag", and thought "oh wow".
I think I just might crack my piggy bank for this...

dochmbi:
"decals to customize your units in-game" This worries me a bit, could hurt competitive gaming if it makes identifying units more difficult.

Blizzard have already showcased them and they aren't destracting at all. They are simply symbols mounted on units.

If you're interested

WANT! Hopefully, this will be a collecters edition that I will actually be able to obtain.

ok need help here, i keep missing out on gettig collecters editions of the WoW expacs and i WILL NOT do the same for this....do i have to wait till the release date is announced to pre-order this or should i start running out of my house this very moment to go to a game shop?

GodKlown:
I must still be part of the minority who isn't excited about SC2. When they said there was no LAN play, they lost me. Blizz seems to be really into the whole CE version of games, but doesn't this seem like putting the cart a mile before the horse on this one since the game isn't even out yet, and they are already planning a CE version?

I am honestly not trying to be pessimistic about this game. It has been a long time since SC was new, and with a fresh generation getting exposure to this, it is something to be excited about. You can only hear Blizz talk about WoW so long before you tune out any news about Blizz at all if you aren't in to WoW. With the diminishing returns they are finally seeing on their prize cash cow project, and hopefully with Diablo 3 coming along in short order, I still have some faith in Blizz to create something that doesn't emulate WoW in a different dressing. SC is a universe unto itself, as is Diablo, but sadly games of those genres are falling in step with WoW because gamers are more familiar with the system in place.

Anyone think the replacement for WoW will eventually be World Of StarCraft?

1. What well-known game hasn't had pre-orders for a Collector's Edition? Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2...how long have you been a gamer exactly?

2. In addition to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, Blizzard already has another MMO being developed. A "next generation" action-MMORPG based on an entirely new IP. There are no plans to turn either Starcraft or Diablo into MMORPGs, but there ARE plans to continue the Warcraft RTS games. I can't wait for Warcraft 4. Blizzard is a much larger company now, so you can bet your ass we'll be seeing a TON of non-MMO games start to pour out of them.

Holy crap, you're actually getting SC1+BW with this as well? Kudos for that.

Ok thats pretty darn cool and i'm going to get it. But I have one issue with this Collectors Edition. Why is there no T-shirt like there was with Starcraft 1? Me wanty t-shirt!

But in all seriousness when can you order the collectors edition?

Would be fun on a raid "Heal me" the healer misclicks the Thor and keeps getting Thor's here.

Do want, wonder how many workarounds I will have to get this baby down here.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here