Microsoft Accidentally Unveils Gears of War 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft Accidentally Unveils Gears of War 3

Thanks to Microsoft, and not to Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski, the world now knows, or is at least pretty sure, that Gears of War 3 is coming in April of next year.

CliffyB was scheduled to appear on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon last night to reveal a new game, widely expected to be Gears of War 3. At the last minute, the appearance was postponed to the following Monday; initial rumors suggested that Bleszinski was bumped for singing sensation Justin Bieber but he denied the story on Twitter, writing, "The truth of the matter is that we wanted to take a couple more days to polish what we're showing." Whatever the case, it looks like somebody at Xbox Live didn't get the memo because in spite of the change in plans, an ad for the game appeared on the Xbox 360 dashboard last night.

"Gears of War 3 announced," the ad incorrectly advised gamers. "The epic story concludes April 2011." That part may be true and, specifics of the release date notwithstanding, it's hardly an Earth-shattering surprise, but it's still kind of a kick in Epic's junk. CliffyB can tell us about the game and maybe show us a little bit of what's in store, but at this point, unless he surprises us with something completely unexpected - a new Jazz Jackrabbit, maybe - it's bound to be a bit of an anti-climax.

Rough break, Cliff. Keep this in mind the next time that Bieber kid gets in your face.

Source: Kotaku

Oh no, a sequel everyone knew was going to happen is happening, its the end of the world!

Really, who didnt see this coming?

I dont even care, the series is pretty meh to be honest.

Edit: Seeing how someone is trying to troll me over this comment im pointing out it is obvious because of the fact that they left it on a cliffhanger and are going to resolve it, and I feel that the series is average, its just another super violent cover based shooter.

Also, does it matter who announces it really? If Microsoft has a release date its already being made, Microsoft just beat them to it.

I was hoping for another fall release.

*sigh*

I was hoping for a new Jazz Jackrabbit. :(

Holy shit.

THANK YOU.
I've been looking for the name of Jazz Jackrabbit for years.
I used to play that all the time as a kid.

OT: ...
Eh.

Looking forward to it. Gears has always been pretty weak in the story department, but the second one made it a bit more interesting, and the multiplayer is the only competitive game I've really gotten into playing online. Hopefully, though, they'll make it a bit harder to chainsaw and lower the melee's power by a lot.

Wow, I'm surprised someone remembers Jazz...
OT: We knew GoW 3 was coming, so it's not that bad.

New Jazz Jackrabbit would be sweet.

Yeah, but CliffyB (As I'm required by Escapist Law to call him) has got to be pretty pissed that his thunder was stolen by the Xbox Live dashboard...

"Accidentally"? By the laws of the Internet, I label his mistake a "fail".

Well, some body is getting fired for this.

Meh, stuff like that happens, but Gears 3 is coming out possibly next year! Awesome!

...to the surprise of no-one. I mean christ I'm already expecting at least GoW 4 personally.

Cool, nice to have a date now for the release but CliffyB's thunder was most certainly stolen. Still, will now look forward for a teaser trailer that will inevitability appear Monday or soon after.

A new Jazz Jackrabbit?! That'd be AWESOOOOME!!! Do keep it 2D though, don't go the Sonic route.

Oh...yeah, Gears of War 3. Not really a surprise now is there? Shame I can't play it though, as my 360 died. Well, not that I'll really miss out gameplay-wise. Gears of War was pretty nice the first 2 games, but I had my fill of the gameplay. Like with Halo.

Unless you release 2 and 3 for PC, I don't want to hear it...

Calumon: Meanies. Jack liked the first one...

Call me when they make a new engine that everyone and their brother is going to go out of their way to makes games with. Then we'll have news.

But only vicariously, as it'll mean this console generation is coming to a close.

I don't get why CliffyB would call an announcement of Gears 3 "mind-blowing" and "awesome". I mean, everybody expected that.

Catkid906:

And this. Also i saw that Calumon wasn't in the post initially! A bit late to the party, huh, you little fuzzball?

Cliffy: "The truth of the matter is that we wanted to take a couple more days to polish what we're showing."

Bullshit, nobody plans an appearance like that and then pulls at the last minute for "polish"

Look, just tell the truth or simply say "it's a secret" or at the very least tell a more plausible lie like: "something came up and we HAD to postpone"

Postponing for anal things like "polish" just sound so disingenuous and if it is true then it REALLY shakes my confidence in him and his product as he has so little confidence in it that he pulls his big unveiling at the last minute.

Yeh damn right new jazz jack rabbit. =] just this day I found that game in my pile-O-Crap i might try play it although doubt it'd run on windows 7.

Gears is a bit Meh. to me but whatever I enjoyed the multi-player for a bit with friends. Terrible matchmaking tough but either way ill probably buy it. Wonder if some one got fired =]

Kollega:

Catkid906:

And this. Also i saw that Calumon wasn't in the post initially! A bit late to the party, huh, you little fuzzball?

Calumon: Hey! I need food too y'know!

Sheesh, don't have to even tell me... Evidence is in the fridge

Catkid906:

Cliffy: "Microsoft want us to appease the fanboys I mean meau meau meaaauugh, piracy cutting into our sales on PC!"

Logic: but if you don't release it at all on PC then you can GUARANTEE that you won't have any PC sales...

Cliffy: "but it'll be so badass..."

People: we want mouse aim damn it!

The DSM:
Oh no, a sequel everyone knew was going to happen is happening, its the end of the world!

Oh no, a comment everyone knew was going to happen occurred, it's the end of the world!

Really, who didn't see something as idiotic as the above coming?

I don't even care, the comment is pretty meh to be honest.

Why bother posting if all it's going to be is pointless sarcasm and cynicism with no real point or discussion value?

OT: I look forward to it; I kinda already guessed what was occurring but the details announced by EDGE such as possible underwater sections, jungle areas and a new enemy that can stop you from staying in cover sound very intriguing.

Microsoft still hasn't fixed that leak, then. It's still a low blow for Epic, however.

Cliff should bring that chainsaw gun and pay a visit to Justin. Two flies with one swat.

Joking aside, can't say I'm surprised, felt more like they just announced that the sun was gonna rise tomorrow.

Man, I played Jazz Jackrabbit 2 while I was a kid alot! I loved the level editor too.

No offense but in all honestly we knew there would be a sequel. That plus Cliff mentioned Gears of war was a trilogy somewhere that I cannot remember.

Justin Bieber has now interrupted game advertisements and announcements. There is no safe haven anymore

Treblaine:

Catkid906:

Cliffy: "Microsoft want us to appease the fanboys I mean meau meau meaaauugh, piracy cutting into our sales on PC!"

Logic: but if you don't release it at all on PC then you can GUARANTEE that you won't have any PC sales...

Cliffy: "but it'll be so badass..."

People: we want mouse aim damn it!

eh.. I wish it came out on pc, but third person shooters do tend to work better with controllers.

I would MUCH prefer a new Jazz Jackrabbit game to another Gears of Boredom.

I think that the "oh nos" from this come from the possibly epic intro to the "it's official we're making Gear 3 and not just rumors", they could have brought in real life Gears or something and said "We're making Gears 3" or anything and people would be shocked, but since it's confirmed, they won't have the shock and awe they were expecting...it's more of a disapointment for CliffyB prolly, since he was probably excited to be the first to confirm Gears 3

JWW:
"Accidentally"? By the laws of the Internet, I label his mistake a "fail".

It certainly falls into the category, but. its awesome none the less =D

Glaad to see it will be as epic as ever

NBA Alligator Panic, Ha!

Edit: OOPS! Had two tabs open and posted in the wrong one! That was supposed to go in the Videogame Name Generator thread.

The DSM:

Edit: Seeing how someone is trying to troll me over this comment im pointing out it is obvious because of the fact that they left it on a cliffhanger and are going to resolve it, and I feel that the series is average, its just another super violent cover based shooter.

Also, does it matter who announces it really? If Microsoft has a release date its already being made, Microsoft just beat them to it.

corrction they left it on a poor cliffhanger, something that most people guessed was going to happen by that point in the story

It reminds me when Gears of War 1 for PC was "accidentally" unveiled some years ago...

JEBWrench:
I was hoping for a new Jazz Jackrabbit. :(

I know... I feel your pain.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook