Defect Reduces Splinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition Price

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Defect Reduces Splinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition Price

The Spinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition is now going to be cheaper because of an unfortunate defect.

Splinter Cell: Conviction's Collector's Edition, the one coming to North America anyway, was announced at a price point of $80, but Ubisoft recently informed GameSpot that the price would be reduced to $70. This isn't due to the state of the economy, or charity on Ubisoft's part, but rather a defect in one of the included items.

The North American Conviction Collector's Edition will come in a steel case and includes an art book, comic book, decals, USB drive, and an in-game outfit and weapon. The item at the heart of the price reduction issue is the custom USB drive, which Ubisoft says a "random sampling" that it tested were found to be defective. The drive was supposed to come loaded with a bunch of extra features including wallpapers, concept art, "making of" videos, and storyboards.

Ubisoft did not say what the issue was with the USB drives, but the company did say that not all of them are defective. So, if you purchase a Splinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition and receive a working USB drive, it's just like hitting the lottery!

All of the extra features available on the USB drive will be available through a method to be revealed on Splinter Cell: Conviction's website on April 15. There are separate limited/collector's/special editions of Splinter Cell: Conviction available in other regions of the world and through specific retailers, which is why this issue only affects the North American release. Splinter Cell: Conviction is scheduled to release for the Xbox 360 in North America next week on April 13. The PC version is expected a couple weeks later, and don't forget, it'll include that awesome new DRM!

Source: GameSpot

Ubisoft in shoddy craftsmanship scandal? The horror and surprise! /sarcasm

Tom Goldman:
So, if you purchase a Splinter Cell: Conviction Collector's Edition and receive a working USB drive, it's just like hitting the lottery!

The same could be said of buying any recent Ubisoft game and them actually allowing you to play it.

Normally they do this sort of test before the USB drives ship out.

This reminds me of Muse's special edition of their album: one of the tracks on the USB version was corrupted.

Alright I guess Ubisoft thought it wasn't killing its business fast enough. They decided to throw in some faulty hardware with your non-functioning game. Why don't they just cut to the chase and just have a Ubisoft representative come to your house and punch you in the face every time you purchase one of their products.

Could one way of looking at it be as a marketing ploy a sort of damaged collectible? Or drama to increase awarness?

HontooNoNeko:
Alright I guess Ubisoft thought it wasn't killing its business fast enough. They decided to throw in some faulty hardware with your non-functioning game. Why don't they just cut to the chase and just have a Ubisoft representative come to your house and punch you in the face every time you purchase one of their products.

What, you haven't heard? That's their new DRM!

Oh good, so the PC version should cost about 15 then seeing as we won't be able to play it for days at a time.

HontooNoNeko:

Hey, that just gave me a whole new insight! Ubisoft executives are commiting some kind of fund fraud which relies on getting their company out of business - and fast! They are sabotaging their own affairs to declare bankruptcy and run off with the money!

You know... I used to really like UbiSoft...

What the hell happened?! Are they trying to kill their company?

Yes i cant wait, I'm actually gonna get 10 bucks off! Rad!

Couldn't really care less about limited edition stuff, since I wasn't planning on buying that. But yeah, things are really going downhill for ubisoft.

I think this will be the last game I'll ever buy from them, and it will be for the xbox.

danpascooch:

HontooNoNeko:

Don't worry, they won't punch you in the face if you show then the physical case, the manual, 2 copies of the receipt, and a signed document from your place of purchase.

If you bought it digitally, they will then go through your PC and browser history to make sure your telling the truth.

But don't worry, if you didn't pirate the game, then you have nothing to worry about!

The hypocrisy amuses me to no end.

If this were Activision the argument would have been "Boo Activision, they just want our money!"

Ubisoft has acknowledged the mistake, cut the price, and planned an alternative method of obtaining the materials you pay for. And still they complain. Do you honestly think that Ubisoft itself had its programmers and designers sit in a room and test the flash drives?

If your copy of Star Wars is defective, it's not George Lucas' fault.

Damn i thought this was a dig at ubisoft

Splinter cell comes with defect so its cheaper. The defect is Ubi's DRM

Irridium:

danpascooch:

HontooNoNeko:

Don't worry, they won't punch you in the face if you show then the physical case, the manual, 2 copies of the receipt, and a signed document from your place of purchase.

If you bought it digitally, they will then go through your PC and browser history to make sure your telling the truth.

But don't worry, if you didn't pirate the game, then you have nothing to worry about!

Oh, but unfortunately, a small defect in a random sampling of their search techniques may cause your computer to explode and burn your fucking house down.

Oh well at least they lowered the price beforehand and made a statement, instead of coming up with an ultra-lame excuse when this would eventually get unearthed.

danpascooch:

Irridium:

danpascooch:

HontooNoNeko:

Oh, but unfortunately, a small defect in a random sampling of their search techniques may cause your computer to explode and burn your fucking house down.

All in the "glorious" fight against piracy!

sinclose:
Oh well at least they lowered the price beforehand and made a statement, instead of coming up with an ultra-lame excuse when this would eventually get unearthed.

danpascooch:

Irridium:

danpascooch:

HontooNoNeko:

Lmfao, I totally agree. I don't buy PC games anymore, don't bother. I can pirate them, but eh, I like my 360 too much atm. But well, GLORY TO THE NEW DRM.

WanderFreak:
Do you honestly think that Ubisoft itself had its programmers and designers sit in a room and test the flash drives?

If Ubisoft aren't responsible for making the things it releases are of a working standard, who is?

WanderFreak:

If this were Activision the argument would have been "Boo Activision, they just want our money!"

Ubisoft has acknowledged the mistake, cut the price, and planned an alternative method of obtaining the materials you pay for. And still they complain. Do you honestly think that Ubisoft itself had its programmers and designers sit in a room and test the flash drives?

If your copy of Star Wars is defective, it's not George Lucas' fault.

Agreed. They've done what they could to make sure that you could get the materials, even if those that come with it are defective, and they're lowering the price. It's too bad the defect exists in the first place, but this is pretty much how you deal with it when it comes to light. What more do you guys want?

Agreed with Orannis62, they know about the problem and are doing something about it. And they are going to put the materials online so that the people will get what they wanted. You have to at least give them props for that, besides they could have just screwed us over by coming up with an excuse AFTER Splinter cell conviction came out.

You probably need to be connected to the internet to use them anyway.

Agh curse you DRM!!! I think I may be forced to just buy this one on Xbox 360 instead of my PC. I don't trust my ISP enough to not drop my connection and make me lose all my unsaved Splinter Cell progress.

Tom Goldman:

All of the extra features available on the USB drive will be available through a method to be revealed on Splinter Cell: Conviction's website on April 15.

But what if I don't have an internet connec-

Oh wait.

I'll put down real money that Splinter Cell is cracked inside of a week, allowing pirates to play but not legitimate customers.

I wonder who manufactured the USB drives. Sandisk are making the ones for the x360 and there are rumours going around that some of their new drives are faulty.

HontooNoNeko:

Because they can't put drm on their representatives to prevent you stealing their punching techniques.

Ubisoft is just not doing anything right, HORRIBLE DRM, defective products, shitty customer support.

I'll be done with these goons for a while. No interest in products with excess garbage.

As terrible as there DRM is, I can't fault them here. It was a mistake, they don't charge you for the mistake, and they give an alternate way to get the material. That's being responsible. If you are really wanting the original version, use your saved money to buy a flash drive, and put that extra stuff on it. You still win in the end. The lesson for Ubisoft here is not anything about this defective equipment, it's that not only have they lost sales to this useless DRM scam, people also are more prone to think you are being a bunch of crooks at the slightest provocation. Even if the justification for criticizing you so is a stretch at best.

WanderFreak:

Except for one simple fact. Activision wouldn't tell you that the drive is defective until AFTER you bought the game. I don't know how you think this is hypocritical. Ubisoft has been given the evil eye lately too with some of the worse DRM mankind has ever seen to Prince of Persia's copout ending, to ACII's copout DLC, etc. Activision would raise the price and not give you support for dedicated servers. They both suck just in different ways.

Well, at least they are taking some accountability.

Although, only $10? Seems a little...little? best word for it

I will most likely just rent Splinter Cell: Conviction. Mostly for achievements that the game will have. I like the Splinter Cell games but not enough to buy them, just rent them.

Why does Ubisoft continue to use that DRM? They should know by now that people dislike it and that it will most likely end up costing them money.

What bugs me is $10 off, when many people, because of the DRM are going to take the route of getting a copy for $80 off with no DRM.

Which of course will tell Ubisoft that games don't sell on the PC platform and go console only.

nasty vicious circle...

Why... why would they send out a broken USB drive if they know it's broken... Why can't they either fix it or test it before they send it out to stores?

why don't they just delay the release so they can fix the defected USB drives?

Frankly, I'd rather get a more expensive product than one that doesn't work at all...

Good thing I don't live in North America!

Actually, wait... I don't have a 360...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or