Infinity Ward Heads Found New Studio - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Infinity Ward Heads Found New Studio - UPDATED

Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella have formed a new game studio and signed an exclusive deal with none other than Electronic Arts, a move Activision claims "comes as no surprise."

The Modern Warfare masterminds announced the formation of Respawn Entertainment today, a new venture which "will focus on creating state-of-the-art gaming experiences for global audiences." The new studio is being funded by seed capital from EA, according to the LA Times, and has signed an exclusive distribution deal with the publisher, but in an unusual twist, West and Zampella will retain full ownership of the IP they create.

"Respawn Entertainment marks a fresh start for Jason and me," Zampella said. "For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise. We're very proud of what we built - and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again - open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA."

"Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve," West added.

West and Zampella formed Infinity Ward after leaving 2015 Inc., which had developed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for the PC. The Call of Duty franchise it established quickly and decisively shouldered the Medal of Honor series into near irrelevance. "It has a certain irony to it," EA Games President Frank Gibeau admitted. "But the fact that they were in this situation was a stunning opportunity for us."

UPDATE: As reported by Joystiq, Activision has responded to the news of West and Zampella's new venture with the following statement: "This agreement comes as no surprise to Activision given the myriad of improper activities detailed in the cross-complaint filed on Friday against Jason West and Vince Zampella. We look forward to continuing to work with Infinity Ward's deep bench of proven talent on exciting new projects."

That position, of course, dovetails with Activsion's assertions in its lawsuit that West and Zampella were "scheming" with its closest competitor - that being Electronic Arts - including a "secret trip by private jet" to meet with senior executive, presumably with the intention of jumping ship.

Must admit this was fairly inevitable. Love the irony though...

Woot!

EA!

I adore each ever since taking a risk with Mirror's Edge. And even more with this DLC plan.

Onyx Oblivion:
Woot!

EA!

I adore each ever since taking a risk with Mirror's Edge. And even more with this DLC plan.

Agreed. I hope they create something that makes Call Of Duty look foolish.

Nobody saw this happening....oh wait...

Anyhoo if this brings us more brilliant EA smacktalking, then so be it!

This probably won't help their court case.

hmmm...

This all seems a little too.. 'convenient' for the two...

Maybe this was all planned in the first place..? Maybe Activision were actually right when they accused them of talking with EA even before they left the company...?

Or maybe I'm just being a conspiracy theorist...?

Echolocating:

It does indeed make Activisions claims of them basically planning this with EA while still at IW seem more real. Maybe Activision were actually on the right in this whole debacle?

Echolocating:

This is exactly what I thought. I mean, Activision's whole argument was they we're about to do this..

Well, good for them. Maybe now people will stop complaining about how Activision is such a money grubbing pig now that they don't have to deal with them anymore.

Simalacrum:
hmmm...

This all seems a little too.. 'convenient' for the two...

Maybe this was all planned in the first place..? Maybe Activision were actually right when they accused them of talking with EA even before they left the company...?

Or maybe I'm just being a conspiracy theorist...?

I think it was more to do with giving Activision the two fingers after what they did really. Also this has made me giggle lots at the complete and utter irony of it.

And, in five years, when Respawn make a groundbreaking series entitled "Oscar Mike", EA will screw them over and they will create a new studio under the careful watch of Activision.

This goes to show that Activision was right to sack these guys. It is to 'convenient' that they ended up working for EA as Activision said they were planning to do. I knew from the start that Activision were telling the truth. No way would you sack the main guys on Infinity Ward without some knowledge of their deceit. These two guys were greedy and trying to do Activision over without a doubt.

Well, well done EA.

I don't know what's going down at Activision, but they're losing the plot.

History doesn't repeat; it rhymes.

This is kind of hilarious. Interesting to see how this will turn out.

This is one time that I will allow EA to gobble up a studio. Take that Activision.

Should've named it "Campers Entertainment".

*troll face*

Pending the Activision trial, this would mean EA would have hands in the 3 biggest FPS franchises. A bit scary for one publisher to have that much power tho.

Like i said in the other thread about this, I wonder if they'll be helping with or taking over bad company from DICE. Thought it does seem like they would rather make an all new franchise.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with. Now if only all the other companies under Activisions control would follow suit.

juvemisfit:
Pending the Activision trial, this would mean EA would have hands in the 3 biggest FPS franchises. A bit scary for one publisher to have that much power tho.

I don't think that Activision is gonna lose the rights to CoD that just doesn't seem possible.

However i still think a lot of people are gonna take this as a sign of what the next CoD game is gonna be like. Its suprising how many people will completely change their mind on games with a little developer Drama like this. They are probably gonna lose a bit of their market with this.

juvemisfit:

MUAH HA HA HA! EA is all powerful and you will bow down to them! Now take off your pants and bend over!

*as darth vader*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Althoughm, i did like Mirror's Edge.

Sweet! Although I went into this thread praying that they would call their new studio Sledgehammer.

The sad part is 60% of the CoD players won't even know about tis, and if and when those two make a game that challenges MW2 you can expect those 60% to start bashing the shit out of them.

Dudemeister:

Onyx Oblivion:
Woot!

EA!

Agreed. I hope they create something that makes Call Of Duty look foolish.

They already did, it's called Battlefield.

Good on them.
With those awsome creative rights I could not see them doing any better.
As long as EA dosn't loan them to DICE for BF3 I will be fine with this. They can touch the BC IP. Just never let them near the BF IP.

Jiraiya72:

Echolocating:

This is exactly what I thought. I mean, Activision's whole argument was they we're about to do this..

Yeah but would they have done it had they not been fired? The effects and the causes don't quite match up.

hehe. Saw this coming. Well, at least they have been able to keep doing what they love.

I wonder whats going to happen with them now with there new firm and what they will create. EA looks like its been more human with than the former...

It's funny, Activision drove away their money makers because they were worried they'd go to EA... making them go to EA.

Let them do what they want to do; I've seen their results, and they are good.

Though I honestly cannot blame Activision entirely for their previous efforts to control Infinity Ward's IP; when you catch the Golden Goose, you don't kill it, you cage it.

The only good news in this case is that Respawn will retain control of their Intellectual Property. I'm just waiting and wondering how EA will cock this deal up; probably by inserting something unpleasant into the customer's nether regions (metaphorically speaking) when the company does produce something profitable.

Good luck with that lawsuit boys; hope you can prove Activision breached contract before you did.

http://kotaku.com/320762/infinity-ward-to-ea-chicago-were-hiring

Somebody help me out. Is this irony? Poetic justice? Karma?

Or just another day in the life of big business?

Oh EA, you opportunistic bastard. This is just silly now.

Hmm. I approve. This doesn't necessarily mean that West and Zampella were planning to do this, but that once they were fired, they had no other choice. Regardless, with any luck EA will be able to release even more of a competitor to CoD than BF:BC2 now that these guys are on board, which will help reduce CoD's chances of becoming a monopoly-esque franchise. Variety is good, mmmkay?

What do you think, Captain Falcon?

EA is doing all they can to retake the throne of top publisher XD

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook