Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

Sony says the PlayStation Move, the motion controller for the PS3 that's due out later this year, is as much for hardcore gamers as it is for the casual crowd.

Everybody knows that motion controllers are for lightweights. The Wii may have popularized the concept but it never caught on with the core demographic, which for whatever reason has been reluctant to give up its controllers, keyboards and mice in favor of jumping up and down and flailing around like an electrified idiot. It's a mystery, really. But Shuhei Yoshida, chief of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, says the Move is going to break those chains by appealing as much to the hardcore as it does to the casual.

"The precision of the Move system allows game designers to create games as simulations and games with much more depth than other motion-based game experiences," he told Edge. "We are sure that hardcore gamers will appreciate and enjoy the challenge, with a much finer control over how they interact with the game and achieve greater success in those games."

"It was very interesting to hear comments by a certain journalist who tried Sports Champions' table tennis, who clearly enjoyed playing the game but complained about the lack of perceived one-to-one control at certain times," he continued. "During the GDC event we were showing the game's entry-level mode, which includes a lot of assists to ensure that everyone who plays the game for the first time can enjoy it. However, we plan to have in the final game a more simulation-based mode, which will allow expert users to really try out their skills. That promises to be a hardcore experience."

That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?

So Sony's entire argument is "our controller is totally different because we made it and thus simple-minded people who use labels will be drawn to it"

Actually that sounds about right.

I CALL UTTER BULLSHIT!

Sony, I love you, but no. Just no. I don't believe you.

Although if you make a PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus with PlayStation Move controls, I'm fucking buying it anyway.

Yup, I'm a fanboy.

...I still dont see how this argument will sell it to the hardcore gamers? Movement is all well and good, but, we dont want to be flailing around when we want to relax, we just want to play and take it easy.

I still want to see more on how exactly it will work, but, im not sold on it yet

Guess what I'm thinking about this. Clue: it comes from a male cow's bottom.

[Edit] And yes, someone has already said it.

No, it's not.
/thread

This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.

I give it two months before "Holiday Fun with Barry the happy Bear"

OT:If they follow through with some hardcore games that seem appealing and not a platformer Mario Style games. I might look it up.

Just becuase you say it dosen't make it so. Like i could say i was surrounded by naked cheerleaders *Hopes*.... nope nothing.

Sony, we still kinda like you. Eventhough you lied about your footage being pre-rendered and everything else about the PS3's massive techical errection. But please don't just spout more bullshit like this. It's like the "Only possible on PS3" thing, sometimes your comments just make us put our heads in our hands and go "ohh... oh dear..."

I think by 'hardcore' they mean 'hardcore at the real life version of the game you are playing' so golf pros will be good at teh golf games, table tennis players will excel at table tennis, soldiers will excel at fps' and samurais will be good at swordplay games

so not hardcore gamers....Fail methinks

If hardcore gamers don't want to use motion controls, they will most likely not fucking buy it!

Seriously, I highly doubt hardcore gamers will buy this. You can't tell hardcore gamers, who've been following the industry since they were basically kids, what they want and what they'll like. They've grown up with controllers/keyboards and mice, and nothing you can say will make them want to openly welcome a brand new control scheme that the Wii has basically turned into a gimmick (with a few exceptions).

What are all these companies smoking? Pure powdered optimism?

Please refer to my most recent post post about the PlayStation Move.

Addition: I will say this: I am a hardcore gamer and I will not buy the PlayStation Move because of the dead end it, Natal, and the Wii represent.

I think the error in the motion control devs' thinking is that we all want to move. We don't. I mean occasionally ... to the fridge for another (root) beer, but that's about it.

We've made a freakin' art form of sitting still with a controller for hours on end for the last several decades, and they think that all that time we were sitting there thinking, "Damn, I wish I could hop about, flailing just like my character on screen. Wouldn't that be rad?"

Srsly.

*falls on floor*
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*sniff*
That's a good one

Typhusoid:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.

Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.

Hahahahahaha. Ha. Why isn't Nintendo suing them? They have a patent, right?

Andy Chalk:
That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?

Thats a great point. What about that fighter or SOCOM to talk about?

Calumon: Silly! They're all just plain Silly! XD

This is the SAME EXACT LOGIC that Sony used to reason the "hardcore" would blindly pick up a $599 machine, and one exec's claim 5M people would buy it without even picking up a single game.

zelda2fanboy:
Hahahahahaha. Ha. Why isn't Nintendo suing them? They have a patent, right?

Because the Move basically uses the EyeToy to track movement. That's why you need to buy TWO controllers, one packed with an EyeToy, in order to do any of the games in Sports Champion. One $99, the other $59. Yay! You just spend $160 + the cost of a PS3 to play a game that comes packed with the $199 Wii!

xavierxenon:

Typhusoid:

Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.

The Wii sold because it cost $250 at launch.

The PS3 didn't sell because it cost $600 at launch.

GET IT?

I'm not sure if it's wise to use the word 'hardcore' in association with something that looks like a dildo :P

Typhusoid:

Like the other person said...extremely successful. Your point is?

I wouldn't sat hardcore as the term here. I'd say "more mature motion control games then we've seen". Anyone seen the picture of the Move? It has all the buttons of your standard controller, plus an extra circle and X button. This may actually work.

As one of the people who believes that the kind of "hardcore" they're going for is right, I am happy.
Seriously, why can't sport sims be hardcore? They are. Top Spin 3 is hardcore as hell.
The problem with the Wii is that it was made for hardcore games but instead fell into the pit of cheap budget titles with no depth.
If Sony doesn't allow this, I'm bying God Of War 3 or something just to support them.

Aura Guardian:

Typhusoid:

Well, extremely successful doesn't mean extremely good, now does it? I mean, Twilight is extremely successful.
Not to start any console wars or anything so, if you have anything to object, PM please.

JourneyThroughHell:
As one of the people who believes that the kind of "hardcore" they're going for is right, I am happy.
Seriously, why can't sport sims be hardcore? They are. Top Spin 3 is hardcore as hell.
The problem with the Wii is that it was made for hardcore games but instead fell into the pit of cheap budget titles with no depth.
If Sony doesn't allow this, I'm bying God Of War 3 or something just to support them.

Sports can be hardcore: see MLB 10: The Show.

Spending $160 to be able to play Wii Sports? You have to be either rich and stupid or a total tool to waste money like that.

Are the "hardcore" begging to play Wii Sports? REALLY?

JourneyThroughHell:

Aura Guardian:

Typhusoid:

Well, extremely successful doesn't mean extremely good, now does it? I mean, Twilight is extremely successful.
Not to start any console wars or anything so, if you have anything to object, PM please.

Actually it does. It depends on who it targets. That's why both examples you provided are extremely successful. You may not like it. But others do.

Andraste:
I think the error in the motion control devs' thinking is that we all want to move. We don't.

As the kids like to say, "This."

When I want to move, I'll take my ass outside and do it for real. And in spite of my etched-in-stone gamer cred, I do that sometimes. More than you probably think. But gaming? No. Altogether different.

Now, there are some instances when it's fun, like when I'm playing a group party game or something and everyone's watching and having fun and probably drinking like fish. But that, to my mind, is back in Casual-Land, and the Wii's already got that covered.

To be honest, the problem with motion controls being "Hardcore" is that "hardcore" gamers generally want to game a lot. 12 hour power sessions and "oh wow, I forgot to sleep for work" and such are the much parodied hallmarks of a "Hardcore" gamer, whether it's an RPG fanatic, or someone engaging in huge numbers of shooter deathmatches.

The problem with a motion controller being "hardcore" among other things is that nobody is going to be able to get up and spazz out for 12 hours with a motion sensor.

Also, I tend to agree with the choice of titles. Pretty much everyone who saw the Wiimote thought of it's potential for sword fighting games and the like, and truthfully nobody has really exploited that well (most attempts have been lacking). Others have looked at the potential for interactive violence in games like "Manhunt 2" (which was never truely explored as far as it could have been) and similar things. Indeed it seems like the anti-gaming crowd freaked out about this kind of thing to the extent where game companies were afraid to really run with it, which is in part why I feel the Wii never took off beyond a casual market. Even games like "Madworld" are a pale shadow of what they could have been with that control potential.

Even getting beyond the "how do I play all day with this" aspect, I have yet to see any evidence of Sony being willing to become the company that is going to mount it's white horse and do a massive charge against international game censors and watchdog groups to "free" motion control enough to be used for "M rated"/Hardcore gaming of that variety.

I mean sure, I could see torturing "people" with a remote like that in a horror game, or using it to get into some deep knife/sword fighting action (perhaps even online multiplayer) but I am not sure if the guts exist to do it right.

"That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?"

Here is what I thought was going through there head:
Engineer 1 - "So marketing needs us to make up a game to show off this cool tech to hardcore gamers. What do we do?"
Eng 2 - "Hmm, lets make a quick and simple game that requires precision and accuracy but will not take a lot of time to develop.
Eng 1 - "Ping pong, it requires a ton of accuracy and dex, and will take all of 2 weeks to program."

Simply put, pong is simple to implement but shows off the power of the new tech (yes it's new tech because this and natal are in a league of there own when talking about those dam wiimote) and shows how accurate it is.

I'm not saying it's marketing genius or even smart, but I can see the reason for choosing it.

"If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?"

Damn good question. If only I had a damn good answer... :(

Aura Guardian:

JourneyThroughHell:

Aura Guardian:

Typhusoid:

Actually it does. It depends on who it targets. That's why both examples you provided are extremely successful. You may not like it. But others do.

Picking up a ton of five-year-old consumers who can't tell the difference between accurate and inaccurate control schemes does not make the Wii good. It makes it successful and profitable, but it does not make it good. Just as neither Twilight nor Hannah Montana are good. Selling out to the lowest common denominator =/= good.

That being said, I can see a potential in motion-controls, but only if Microsoft and Sony start trying something different as opposed to just trying to develop what they think will take customers from the Wii. IE this: http://theperegrine.com/

More like that plz.

Aura Guardian:

JourneyThroughHell:

Aura Guardian:

Typhusoid:

The fact that others like it makes it successful, but it doesn't make it good.
See where I'm going?
For the guy you were quoting, the Wii is not good. For me, it's mediocre. For you, hell, I don't know.

JourneyThroughHell:

Aura Guardian:

JourneyThroughHell:

Aura Guardian:

Typhusoid:

The fact that others like it makes it successful, but it doesn't make it good.
See where I'm going?

For the guy you were quoting, the Wii is not good. For me, it's mediocre. For you, hell, I don't know.

I love it. Been my primary console for nearly 4 years

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or