Wizard of Oz Plus Left 4 Dead Equals Awesome

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wizard of Oz Plus Left 4 Dead Equals Awesome

If Dorothy, the Tin Man and the rest killed zombies instead of fighting winged monkeys, it might look something like this.

New takes on The Wizard of Oz may not be quite as common as reimaginings of Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland, but they're not exactly unheard of - which is why it's slightly surprising that it took so long for someone to combine it with Valve's Left 4 Dead. As MTV Multiplayer's Russ Frushtick puts it, it makes perfect sense in hindsight:

Four individuals (and a dog) with little in common are thrown together by fate and must work together, overcoming challenge after challenge in their way, in order to survive. It's practically the same story, only one group doesn't get a Good Witch to help them out and one group needs to deal with magical poppy fields.

Okay, maybe it isn't the same story at all, but wouldn't it be badass if it were?

The Left 4 Oz image you see here to the right was created for ConceptArt's "Character of the Week" contest, the entries for which can be more easily seen on SuperPunch. While some of the other entries are cool, none of them are Left 4 Dead which automatically makes this one the coolest of them all.

What I like the most about the mock poster is how effectively it apes the style of Valve's actual Left 4 Dead campaign images. You have the four Survivors standing together in cool poses holding their various weapons, you have the cheesy-yet-awesome campaign title ("The Road," in this case) and an equally cheesy-yet-awesome one-liner catch-phrase.

Seeing as how two of the Left 4 Oz Survivors are using melee weapons - the Tin Man's wood axe and the Scarecrow's pitchfork - this game would clearly be using the L4D2 engine, which makes me wonder what sort of Uncommon Infected this level would have. Zombie Munchkins could be cool, but they'd be a bit too much like the Jockey. Zombie Winged Monkeys, on the other hand? Is that a recipe for childhood terror or what?

I'd totally play this game. I really, really would. The only question in my mind is: Would all the original L4D fans hate Dorothy because she isn't their precious Zoey? I guess we'll (unfortunately) never know.

Dibs on playing as the Cowardly Lion.

(Via MTV Multiplayer)

Zombie flying monkeys.
Well I just found my new nightmare.

Damn, I want that as a poster.

shirin238:
Zombie flying monkeys.
Well I just found my new nightmare.

Says the guy with the American McGee Cheshire cat.

I would probably play that game. Scare me to death though.

I would love it!!! And we only hate Rochelle cause she sucks and has no personality and while zombies are invading all she cares about is her hair (stereotypical woman)

Meh... Has a lacking of Ellis. But I'm sure Dorothy would be ten times better as a character than Rochelle.

Awesome poster.

Would Scarecrow and the Tin Man have much to fear from zombie-like creatures?

More importantly, would everyone else have secret doubts about Scarecrow given all his 'I wanna brain!' talk?

Love it. Took me a moment to get the title joke, though.

EXT Yellow Brick Road. MORNING.

LION lifts gun to head screaming after seeing the bloodstained body of his munchkin best friend covered in monkey feathers. DOROTHY rushes to console him

DOROTHY

Oh fuck Lion! What happened! Put that gun down!

LION

Dorothy I don't have the courage to carry on down this Yellow Brick Shit!(Pauses) but I realize the only way to get some is to not blow out scarecrows heart and Tinmans Brain....And carry on

Prefarably with Samuel L Jackson playing the lion.

That is scary cool.

Who needs courage when you have a gun.

Now that's epic! The tin man is "the terminator'

lol, just so awesome!

It's only a matter of time before some one Mods this for L4D(2) on the PC.

Baron Khaine:

Completely agree.
This is the coolest thing I have seen... today :P

That was freaking awesome. Screw the L4D characters, this is so much better. Zombie imps, all those witch guards, blast your way into the wizard's castle/skyscraper and go murder us a witch.

Ahh, to dream.

I liked all the art in this contest but the "The Road" poster really stands out. "Awesome" is an understatement; would love to see some talented filmmakers put together a "trailer" for this "movie".

PipBoy2000:

Baron Khaine:

Completely agree.
This is the coolest thing I have seen... today :P

AgreeČ, plus: I want to see this fleshed out into a game.

D0WNT0WN:
Who needs courage when you have a gun.

Damn why didn't I think of that.

Farnsworth pwns.

John Funk:

Dibs on playing as the Cowardly Lion.

Damn it. Dibs on the Scarecrow then. >_>
Somebody have to make this game! It's too awesome of an idea to forget. D:

Baron Khaine:

Couldn't agree with you more.

Somebody HAS to make this mod... HAS TO.

Baron Khaine:

Ditto. That is pretty badass right there.

John Funk:

I'd totally play this game. I really, really would. The only question in my mind is: Would all the original L4D fans hate Dorothy because she isn't their precious Zoey? I guess we'll (unfortunately) never know.

I think we'd only hate Dorothy if she failed to deliver anything in terms of humor or personality. Rochelle was such a bore compared to Zoey. As long as Dorothy didn't repeat that mistake, no problems. :D

OT: This would be a fun custom map to play. I'm surprised no one has taken the time out to make it (if it hasn't been made yet). However, Uncommon infected monkeys would need to be added to really make it good.

Best mock L4D poster I've ever seen and that really is something given the number of them. I think it's just as good as some of the offical campaign posters!

Also as a response to that last question. Yes people would rage that it's not Zoey but for me it comes down to how likeable she is. Zoey was a very funny and likeable character but Rochelle was not, she had barely any lines and fewer that were funny or endearing.

Just had to clear that up, I hate people thinking I rage about Rochelle for no appropriate reason. I have a good reason, damnit!

Hay, who here is a L4D (or L4D2) modder? Why don't you make this a reality? You just need to make some new models (change the survivers into Dorthy, Tin Man and the rest, and change the zombies into those gaurds that the witch has or monkeys), and create a campaign based around the land of Oz (a corn field, a forest, the witches castle and a burnt down emerald city).

Well, someone had to :)

One of the more original uses of the campaign template psd I've seen in a while.
Pros:
Awesome

Downsides:
No Bill and Louis. Those guys rock.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Well, someone had to :)

that witch looks like a guy

call the modders

Ah, conceptart.org. It is a lovely place.

The modders really need to get on this ASAP. This level of epic can not go unrealized.

....Awesome. Just awesome. That would get me to play L4D again.

Pure, canned awesomeness.

Good going Valve.

THIS...IS.....AWESOME!!!!!

Saved that picture for hopes of making it a full sized poster.

I feel the need to point out that they've already been to the Emerald City at least once. The Tin Man has his heart :D

frankly hilarious, I love it, and I would instantly play it the moment someone makes a mod for it (it's going to happen now)

The Lion just looks badass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or