Microsoft to Make Budget Balancing Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft to Make Budget Balancing Game

Microsoft is apparently working with the US Government to make a game all about balancing the budget.

We're all feeling the pinch of the credit crunch and subsequent recessions, and are being forced to tighten our belts. Even governments are not immune, as the billions pumped in to stimulating the economy have left them with massive debts and the uncomfortable prospect of having to make cuts to public spending.

This is where Microsoft comes in, as the company has apparently been approached by the US Government to create a game which better explains the difficult reality of making spending cuts, and thereby hopefully make the public more sympathetic to the idea, or at least not actively hostile.

This isn't the first time this has been tried either, as back in 1989, a game called Hard Choices was created with much the same premise by the National Economic Commission, and again in 1994 by the "Bipartisan Commission on Entitlement and Tax Reform" with a game called Budget Shadows.

Former Democratic Senator for Nebraska Bob Kerrey, who headed the 1994 commission believes the new game is likely to "go viral" and said that a game was a good way to get the "support among the populace for the exceptionally unpopular things you need to do to solve this problem."

Source: Joystiq via 1up

So it's a Mii-fit?

I thank yew

The_root_of_all_evil:
So it's a Mii-fit?

I thank yew

I know you are called "The_root_of_all_evil" but that was just...

I really hope Daniel Cook is the one who's doing this.

http://lostgarden.com/2010/01/ribbon-hero-turns-learning-office-into.html

It better have damn good gameplay.

what happened to people who could make a budget and stick to it? If you need a Game/program to tell you how to budget then you shouldn't have the responsibility over money in the first place.

Also if this is for the government then my last statement stands. Stop being a douche and give your position to someone with a shred of intelligence.

So, a counrty in an economic downturn who needs to cut costs is going to spend money to make a game about cutting costs.

Anyone else think thats a little... ironic...?

If you create an inflexible budget and stick to it, you have Georgia and Alabama. We're terrible states in which to live, and we have horrific public services, where we have them.

This is a Good Idea. Problem is that those of us who already understand the horrible reality of the government's budget woes will be the only ones playing it.

People don't seem to understand that budgets of first-world countries *affect the entire planet*.

The primary issue in the US is that we have representatives from different states, all of whom are convinced that the *ONLY* state that needs *ANY* money is *THEIR* state, and the rest can suck it. This is why the same ass who complains about another ass building a statue to himself in Podunk, IL is introducing six bills for his own statues in Backwoods, MS at the same time.

So another management sims for all the people obsessed with them...

...well, I might actually play it, lol. Intresting concept

Will it be on Xbox live?
*cough*
''Omg, noob! l2balance the budget!''

''Wtf, nobody redces txes like tht!''

I can barely imagine what kind of new slang emerges.

Fox news will somehow take this to be the government teaming up with the evil video game industry to make sure we all are under the surveillance of big government. I would bet a dollar this eventually makes it to them and they flip shit about our "personal liberties and freedoms".

This could actually help. Maybe they can restrict the major screwups to the game instead of our economy.

Wow, a game that allows people to practice an under-taught and important life skill? I give it a thumbs up.

Oh God...

If i recall, on the WALL-E Viral advertising website, they joke at a game thats supposed to be designed to help kids learn to do there taxes.

That joke just became alot less funny and alot more creepy.

THIS JUST IN: Government to make budget cuts, approaches multi-billion dollar corporation to make game. News at 11.

So ... many ... smart-ass comments ... so ... little ... time...

Proteus214:
Wow, a game that allows people to practice an under-taught and important life skill? I give it a thumbs up.

If only it weren't brought to us by a government trillions of dollars outside of their own budget, and getting even moreso every second, including with the money spent on this game. That kinda makes it lose a lil somethin'. Maybe that's just me.

Andraste:
So ... many ... smart-ass comments ... so ... little ... time...

Proteus214:

If only it weren't brought to us by a government trillions of dollars outside of their own budget, and getting even moreso every second, including with the money spent on this game. That kinda makes it lose a lil somethin'. Maybe that's just me.

I was thinking more along the lines of smaller budgets. Like just personal living expenses or small business kind of stuff, not holy shit international commerce and budget management for an entire nation lol.

if this is real i hope they monitor how the people who lead the leaderboards play and try out a new method or 2

OMG L2P EXCEL.

*sigh*

Its so stupid I cant think of a smart-arse comeback.

Errmm....Its a shit idea and is going to flop?

Taawus:
Will it be on Xbox live?
*cough*

Pwn3d! Y00 jus got tea partied!

Bets that nobody in Congress will be able to get past the first level?

My first thought was that they were turning Excel into a game...

...but then I realized that's already been done with EVE Online.

Soooo... like Sim City?

CyberKnight:

Taawus:
Will it be on Xbox live?
*cough*

Pwn3d! Y00 jus got tea partied!

OH SNAP.

Please don't tell me they decided to spend money on this, all thing budget-wise considered.

Logan Westbrook:

..and the uncomfortable prospect of having to make cuts to public spending.

Why should that be uncomfortable? We spend too much money on public spending as it is...

Programs that fail should get less money; not keep what they have so we don't make cuts.

At last! A game my dad might like!

Strategia:
THIS JUST IN: Government to make budget cuts, approaches multi-billion dollar corporation to make game. News at 11.

Right. So now we are wasting money making a game to demonstrate why we can't stop wasting money. And yes, it's a waste... a game like this will not be profitable.

Mortakk:

Strategia:

Right. So now we are wasting money making a game to demonstrate why we can't stop wasting money. And yes, it's a waste... a game like this will not be profitable.

It isn't supposed to be profitable. It is designed to teach the ignorant 90% of the US what managing a trillion-dollar-budget actually *means*. People seem to think that Congress can simply *will* programs out of existence, with absolutely no ill effects.

Every budget cut means people out of work. Who is going to hire them? Or would you prefer they be homeless? And bear in mind that a minimum wage job (or three) isn't enough to keep them in a home.

*edit* Probable? What?

Woem:
Soooo... like Sim City?

Aaahaha :D that's what I thought, too.

This is the first time I've heard the phrase "go viral" in terms of a video game. Can a video game actually go viral? I assumed this meant that millions of people visited a particular video... so does this mean millions of people will pirate this game? I think I misunderstand the point of this phrase in the context of the article. Do they mean it will sell millions of copies? What ever happened to devs looking forward to going gold?

I find it suspect that this game wasn't mentioned as being an educational tool. Well, if HLS is ninjaing your interwebs, they might learn how to balance the budget from a 10 year old.

Okay, I think a lot of people are not grasping the concept of the whole economy, and could probably stand to play the game. This is probably a cost effective method of educating the ignorant masses, compared to other options. Education programs, television campaigns, all of these are very pricey. Sure they could make some cheesy website with low quality flash games but nobody would pay attenton to it or learn anything except for middle schoolers assigned to visit it by their teachers.

RvLeshrac:
It isn't supposed to be probable. It is designed to teach the ignorant 90% of the US what managing a trillion-dollar-budget actually *means*. People seem to think that Congress can simply *will* programs out of existence, with absolutely no ill effects.

Every budget cut means people out of work. Who is going to hire them? Or would you prefer they be homeless? And bear in mind that a minimum wage job (or three) isn't enough to keep them in a home.

Thank you.

Now the government is getting into gaming, is this a sign of things to come?

No thanks. I prefer to keep them out of my life as much as possible.

DarkHuntress:
Now the government is getting into gaming, is this a sign of things to come?

No thanks. I prefer to keep them out of my life as much as possible.

Glad to see you're keeping up with the news.

*edit*

By the way, people thought that would be terrible, too. Every single one of them was wrong, from the beginning.

*edit2*

Apparently, I need to make my point more explicit: THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT ALREADY FINANCES A GAME, CALLED AMERICA'S ARMY.

Now, where are those Blink tags...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or