$25 World of Warcraft Mount Launches on Blizzard Store

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

$25 World of Warcraft Mount Launches on Blizzard Store

For a quarter hundo, World of Warcraft players can get their hands on an exclusive mount made of blue and space and stuff.

Today, Blizzard added two new items to the Blizzard Store that will no doubt have World of Warcraft players soaring through the stars. The first is a $10 pet called the Lil' XT that joins the ranks of other pets already available such as the Lil' KT and Pandaren Monk. The second is more of a gameplay affecting addition: a Celestial Steed mount that is siphoning hundreds of thousands of dollars from players already.

The Celestial Steed costs $25 and is like sitting your butt on an armored constellation. Purchasing one applies to all characters on a World of Warcraft license. It will move as fast as whatever your current level of skill allows. If you're still a World of Warcraft fetus, it will remain in the celestial stable with a celestial tear in its eye until you level up properly.

According to WoW.com, the queue for the Celestial Steed has already reached over 80,000 people as of this writing, which calculates to something like $50 billion in profit for Blizzard in less than one day. Now, if we could just get Blizzard to put a unicorn mount on the Blizzard Store, I would reactivate my World of Warcraft account in an instant. I would do anything to ride on a unicorn.

It might seem like Blizzard is ripping players off here: anger, hate, rage, etc, but perhaps it isn't. Some WoW players spend dozens of hours grinding and questing just to get certain in-game items, which they are paying for the privilege of, so this is sort of like cutting out the middleman even though it costs almost two months of subscription fees. On the other hand, I don't play WoW anymore, and was completely over special items that made people stop and point at me when I did play. In a way, it's just like Blizzard selling a World of Warcraft t-shirt or another piece of merchandise, but the Celestial Steed just happens to be in-game.

To those still raiding and questing on a daily/hourly basis, is it okay for Blizzard to charge $25 for a special mount, or is it a shameless money grab? When it comes right down to it, the money Blizzard is earning will probably only go towards more Blizzard goodness, so I could think of worse places for these millions of dollars to go.

(Via: WoW.com)

When you think about it, the people who got the TCG items probably spent a whole lot more than $25 on their respective mounts.

Edit: Also, that thing looks cool as hell. Kinda want.

I was first in line. Bought this thing within 10 minutes of it being out. Love it <3

I think this is a waste of money... and I still kind of want one.

-m

I don't play WoW, but if I did I wouldn't pay $25 for a digital item I can only use in game. I would have to get a T-Shirt or a soundtrack or something to go with it. that just seems like too high a price for a digital horse.

Wished I had that much disposable income... I need a job, a free-lance water treatment guy's assistant doesn't bring in too much cash.

Yes I worked with my step dad on a construction site bringing tools up and down a ladder and filling up barrels of chemical.... Once

*sigh* it pains me to know people will actualy buy this...

Blizzard's diabolical schemes are endless.

If I wasn't going to cancel my account this weekend I would be VERY tempted. But, I am, so I'm not :D

FloodOne:
I don't play WoW, but if I did I wouldn't pay $25 for a digital item I can only use in game. I would have to get a T-Shirt or a soundtrack or something to go with it. that just seems like too high a price for a digital horse.

You wouldn't say that if you knew it went to every character you have or will ever make. It also scales its speed to whatever your highest attained speed is.

It's one of those things that doesn't detract from the game so no-one has any basis for complaining about it. I won't buy it, and I don't care if anyone else does.

Oof, that's really rather expensive. Still, people obviously want it, and this sort of thing is definitely a money printer for Blizzard.

Is it 310 speed?

Zer_:
Is it 310 speed?

No, but it will go 310 if you have a mount that already does.

$25 seems a tad steep for my taste (although saying that, being a citizen of the UK I'd be paying just over half that) For that kind of price I would at least want half a month play-time bundled in with it.
Y'know like the deal you get for buying the Gryphon plushy which comes with the in-game version too.

Is that too much to ask for? I suppose it's up to what the item is personally worth to the person buying it.

For me, it's just too much.
Although like others I totally want one.

If you want a unicorn mount that badly you can always go play a paladin in Everquest, they get one.

Eh the steed looks kinda crap. However Lil' XT is just plain adorable!
As for charging for it, eh. I have no problem with it on one condition. It is not something that is more powerful than anything you can find in game. If it is faster then the in game mounts you can earn then yeah, it unbalances shit. If however it is just a autolevelling mount with a unique skin then I am perfectly fine with it.

A fool and his money...

Metal Brother:
A fool and his money...

Would you apply that to any hobby anyone has? If not, you're not being reasonable.

It really comes down to money vs. time. While $25 is quite steep, I am really looking forward to the day they bottom out the farming economy by offering you mini transactions to buy things in game you normally have to spend time farming materials or gold.

This all being said when I haven't played in over a year, but I deride pleasure watching the grind loving community start screaming when things like mounts are lowered to level 20 and "they spent so many hours getting theirs, it's not fair!". It's a game, have fun or go away. Seriously. Go away.

50........... billion........... dollars..... in............ one...... daaaaaay....... saaaadface

*Fogzie suffocates himself*

Well. Wow. Good job WoW. Now I really don't see any other game then WoW 2 dethroning it from the position of Master God of all MMOs. It has established it's place pretty well and I can imagine Bobby is gleefully rubbing his hands. Yaaaay. I don't know what to say as I don't know what I feel

50 billion dollars in one day? How do you figure? Im pretty sure that if 80,000 people bought it that is only 2 million dollars. Where you got 50 billion i have no clue. If blizzard could raise 50 billion in one day they could probably get the US out of this financial deficit.

Jiraiya72:

FloodOne:

You wouldn't say that if you knew it went to every character you have or will ever make. It also scales its speed to whatever your highest attained speed is.

I used to play wow a while back and yes, this is a waste. I would stay away from it if I were still playing cause I know its only a shameless money grabbing scheme to make shit tons of money by basically doing nothing. All blizzard is doing is making a false demand by releasing things every so often so people feel like they are special when they actually are able to buy one. And blizzard is laughing all the way to the bank.

Poomanchu745:
50 billion dollars in one day? How do you figure? Im pretty sure that if 80,000 people bought it that is only 2 million dollars. Where you got 50 billion i have no clue. If blizzard could raise 50 billion in one day they could probably get the US out of this financial deficit.

Foggy_Fishburne:
50........... billion........... dollars..... in............ one...... daaaaaay....... saaaadface

*Fogzie suffocates himself*

Well. Wow. Good job WoW. Now I really don't see any other game then WoW 2 dethroning it from the position of Master God of all MMOs. It has established it's place pretty well and I can imagine Bobby is gleefully rubbing his hands. Yaaaay. I don't know what to say as I don't know what I feel

Hopeless Bastard:

And... 80,000*25 is 2 million... not 50 billion...

Guys..he was being facetious..

I dont bother trying to help these people, I say you are being sucked dry, they reply
"Atlest i am not a 10year old without money"

On the other hand Good job to blizz for this, Not every company can pull this off.

Its fine. Its certainly not a "money grab". Blizzard already makes more money in a year than half of Europe.

Since the mount cost structure was reversed (training used to be cheap and mounts were expensive) so that the mounts are cheap and the training is expensive, this isn't much of an advantage at all. Essentially this mount is the equivalent of paying 200 gold for a gryphon (though substantially more awesome looking).

I wouldn't buy it, but my god is Blizzard smart by doing this. They always have a way of increasing profits.

Well, not been a WoW player, no idea what this is in terms of been good or bad for mounts.

What I know though is thats is scandalous, for sure

wadark:
Its fine. Its certainly not a "money grab". Blizzard already makes more money in a year than half of Europe.

Since the mount cost structure was reversed (training used to be cheap and mounts were expensive) so that the mounts are cheap and the training is expensive, this isn't much of an advantage at all. Essentially this mount is the equivalent of paying 200 gold for a gryphon (though substantially more awesome looking).

When was the last time a company said to themselves, "Hey! We have ENOUGH money! Now everyone sit back and relax while we rake in the steady profit stream!" No, this is a pure money grab to make more money because there is no such thing as too much money.

the company in charge of WoW are the greediest fuckers on the planet that much i am certain of

In the context of the game, its meaningless. Just a bit of fluff.

In the context of the real world, people have spent more money on stupider shit.

Blizzard charges for monthly access to a game that wouldn't raise anything resembling an eyebrow were it not online. The only reason world of warcraft can be considered a good game is in the context of other mmos. Compared to other games, is a pile of crap... and its about as good as mmos can get before the telecommunications "light barrier" is broken. So we have an objectively bad game that functions as well as something released a decade ago, yet that "mmo" bit somehow justifies the monthly rate. I know all the persistent technical issues involved with running an mmo better than most the people who play them, they just don't do anything for the quality of the game. But I'm rambling a bit...

Judging from the quality of the product vs the money obtained from it, I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. Now, I'd like to think there are real people working at blizzard. I'd like to think this was a calculated response to the amount of money zygna makes in a year from "200 million" people. As this would certainly prove theres nothing special about zygna's business model.

And... 80,000*25 is 2 million... not 50 billion...

Poomanchu745:

wadark:

When was the last time a company said to themselves, "Hey! We have ENOUGH money! Now everyone sit back and relax while we rake in the steady profit stream!" No, this is a pure money grab to make more money because there is no such thing as too much money.

Well, regardless, it's not like its some horrible greedy thing. Don't want/need it? Don't buy it. Simple as that. I for one will be paying for one ASAP, better than spending $1000 on a spectral tiger (Yes, that is what they go for on ebay).

I have a WoW account. It's deactivated and has been for months. Why is this tempting me to play again? It's such a waste of money but it's really pretty. Just saying.

AMAZING, they can get lazy halfway through making an actual mount and just say "Ah fuck it lets make it translucent and give it shiny armor, which we'll just tweak some old armor models for" and rip a trillion people off in a second.

Im glad i dont have a credit car that allows me to order online.....
(wouldnt be able to resist

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)