Ubisoft Eliminating User Manuals

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ubisoft Eliminating User Manuals

Ubisoft will be eliminating paper manuals entirely from its game releases in an effort to reduce gas emission and paper use.

Instead of traditional paper manuals, Ubisoft will begin placing digital manuals within the games themselves. Not only will this prevent your little brother from losing them whenever he borrows your stuff, but it will also allow for more comprehensive guides.

"Ubisoft is continually looking for methods to be a more environmentally conscious company, and the implementation of digital game manuals will be beneficial for both the environment and the consumer," Ubisoft Vice President of Operations Rich Kubiszewski said. "In terms of the environment, the implementation of digital game guides and recycled DVD cases for Ubisoft's PC titles will save trees, energy, reduce greenhouse gases and promote the use of sustainable materials. For the consumer, having digital game manuals allows Ubisoft to create a more robust manual that is easier to use and it also eliminates the damage of loss of paper manuals."

Under the new system, the game manual will be embedded directly into the game and accessible via the main menu. This means players will not be required to go online to figure out how to play the game, and will have an added bonus of never worrying about lacking a manual should they buy the game used. This will not, Kubiszewski said, affect any in-game tutorials, which will remain available for those who don't want to read through the manual.

While Ubisoft does expect a decrease in production cost by cutting the manuals, it's unsure if the company will experience a decrease or increase in overall production cost due to the more in-depth game manual, Kubiszewski said. Whatever the case, however, the cost for consumers will remain the same.

Currently, the Wii and DS are excluded from the manual-less conversion, just as only PC games will be making use of the new cases. Eventually, Kubiszewski said, all games will receive this more ecologically-friendly treatment. Ubisoft is also introducing new, recycled cases for its PC game lines, which will start with the April 27 release of Splinter Cell: Conviction.

That kind of defeats the purpose of reading the manual when you're not on the console ... Nice one

This is designed so they recycle the games no one will buy due to ubisoft's drm.

Hmmm. Environmental reasons you say? Could it be that the truth is much simpler... With the impossible DRM that makes their game unplayable, a manual becomes superfluous. Why print a manual for a game that your anti-piracy measures will render unplayable?

Good idea I prefer having manuals in PDF formats because the pages never tear or ink dulls, if they have awesome artwork its easy to rip the image rather than using a scanner

I miss the good old days of 90's games that came in big pretty boxes with hundred+ page user manuals that had concept art, in-depth exploration of game mechanics and stories set in the universe of the game. Some of them even came with sound-tracks. I mean sure, it was wasteful in a way, but I still have them and look through them now. I didn't just throw them away or leave them in the case.

But... I LIKE user manuals. They're the only reason I still consider buying dead tree (err... dead plastic?) editions of games. Can't they come on both?

*Removed

But what will I read while I'm on the toilet?!

Seriously though, while I don't read manuals apart from initial start-up, I like having the physical copy over a digital one. Also I'm not going to read an in-game manual because I'll be too busy PLAYING the game.

Ubisoft - eliminating waste... especially customers.

Oh man...NOW what am I supposed to take with me on the can?

That's fine Ubisoft, I don't buy your products anyway.

I'll buy their eco-friendly pitch when they shave the 2 dollar printing/shipping/handling cost off the price tag. Otherwise it's just their latest money saving attempt.

What am I supposed to read on the bus/train ride home?!

PhunkyPhazon:
Oh man...NOW what am I supposed to take with me on the can?

My thoughts exactly..

I've said it before: Ubisoft is deliberately sabotaging themselves.

First they make it impossible to actually play the game with the retardo-DRM, now they're dumping the manuals. Note how it is for the PC only?

It's all a ploy to lower sales even more, so their stockholders will "force" them to quit the PC market -- so Ubisoft gets an out without having to admit they wanted out in the first place and thereby damaging their own credibility as a publisher.

Manuals have not been 'proper' manuals in a long time. I mean, where's the telephone book? They only have like 4 pages in these days anyway!

I dont buy Ubisoft games anyway.

But still, i love the manuals, not only does reading it give you a head start, they usually contain bonus stuff.
If im buying a used game, ill try and make sure it has the manual.
If it doesn't, i consider waiting until a copy come sin with a manual.

....i like collecting them...

Awesome. So now the game'll practically play itself for a few sessions or levels just because Ubisoft don't understand the concept of recycling?

Tutorials are fine, but sometimes I don't want to pause every time I need to check which button does what when I can be, you know, playing the game?

You guys are so over-dramatic about this DRM stuff.

OT: Manuals these days only have like 10 pages anyway, it really isn't a big deal. If you want a physical manual, print the PDF.

But... I like reading the manuals...

FinalDream:
Manuals have not been 'proper' manuals in a long time. I mean, where's the telephone book? They only have like 4 pages in these days anyway!

Exactly. I like having a beefy manual to read. That means the game may actually have deep gameplay.

You call these skimpy things manuals? More like pamphlets...

brewbeard:
I miss the good old days of 90's games that came in big pretty boxes with hundred+ page user manuals that had concept art, in-depth exploration of game mechanics and stories set in the universe of the game. Some of them even came with sound-tracks. I mean sure, it was wasteful in a way, but I still have them and look through them now. I didn't just throw them away or leave them in the case.

What about the manuals of Elite and Elite 2? Complete guides to flying, fighting, trading, etc., as well as information on all the gear you can get your hands on. I loved reading that, wondering if I'd ever be able to get a Large Plasma Accelerator.

But I love Manuals, I tend to read them Mid-Game and when the game is off, among other times where reading via the Main Menu is highly inconvenient.

I detest this idea.

The manuals nowadays weren't really good anyways. Back in the days, I remember you got all the sountracks, concept art and such for free. Without the collecter edition bullshit.

I love manuals, they are bloody damn useful, and easier to navigate than digital manuals.
Plus i love the side backstory they give to characters and such in the front pages.

I personaly hate steam for the fact that the games i download dont have paper manuals (I know full well there is nothing they can do and i forgive them for invoking my pettiness)
I have to open the game controls in the main menu, and that is just damn annoying.

Austin MacKenzie:
This means players will not be required to go online to figure out how to play the game

But they will need to be online to pay the game, so that's a moot point.

I am so done with Ubisoft at this point... Draconian DRM, dumbed-down new Splinter Cell game, and now... this.

Games are notoriously under-documented these days anyways... I hate, hate when a game has features that are not explained in detail and users are just left to figure it out on their own.

And I'm not buying their "eco-friendly" bullshit excuse, either...

Both good and bad...I can see why they are doing it. But, it means more information will need to be on discs

I can see the reason for it though, and I suppose the premise at the very least

I never read the things in the first place, so eh.

Mansur:
Oh gawd if all of this 'Eco Packaging' keeps up we are just going to be left getting our games in these.

Why are you complaining?!

them holders are bitchin tight dawg!

/bad gangster talk

But seriously that shit would be awesome

and.

yeah

Puddle Jumper:
That kind of defeats the purpose of reading the manual when you're not on the console ... Nice one

I agree with this

I loved reading them in the car when you got the game new :D

Eh manuals have been going down hill for a while. the ps3 ones are ridiculously thin.

I loved having them to read on the way home from the game shop. Its not like Im gonna be buying Ubi's games anymore anyway (>,<)

Chalk this up as another reason I'll not be buying Ubisoft games. I love my paper manuals.

Mansur:
Oh gawd if all of this 'Eco Packaging' keeps up we are just going to be left getting our games in these.

God I know, the flimsy cases with the plastic taken out are already annoying enough, not to mention easy as hell to break.

"Ubisoft is continually looking for methods to be a more environmentally conscious company, and the implementation of digital game manuals will be beneficial for both the environment and the consumer" I'm calling bullshit, they are just to damn cheap to print them out, if I'm paying $50-60 for a new game I better be getting a damn manual with my game.

FinalDream:

2 of which are credits.

I dunno on one hand it is a great idea. Reduce production costs, the enviromental impact and might save a few cents on shipping.

On the other hand I don't want to pause or quit a game to refer back to the manual if I need to.

This makes no sense, none of this eco crap with video games. I want you Escapists to REALLY think hard about this. How many games have you EVER thrown out? How many Manuals have you thrown out? This isn't ecofriendly this is bullshit-tastic

"We're saving money till Digital Distribution takes over hurf durf"

I still have my first video game, if I don't want a game I sell it and what happens then? Someone buys it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here