The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

The Downfall parody videos so popular on YouTube may be going the way of the dodo, thanks to a copyright claim filed by Constantin Film, the production and distribution company responsible for the movie.

The famous Downfall parodies are about as close to required viewing as you're going to find on the internet. Even my dad has sent me a link to one of them, although I can't remember which. And for good reason, because there are dozens of the things: Hitler Gets Banned From Xbox Live, Hitler Moves to North Dakota and Hitler Angry at Favre for Staying in Minnesota, to name but a few. Most are fairly dull but a few are absolutely inspired; even Oliver Hirschbiegel , the director of Downfall (Der Untergang in the original German), is a fan, saying in January, "Many times the lines are so funny, I laugh out loud, and I'm laughing about the scene that I staged myself!"

Constantin Films, on the other hand, doesn't have such a charitable view of the videos and has begun issuing copyright claims to YouTube, forcing their removal. The sheer number of them makes it a daunting task but many, including Hitler Learns Leno is Moving Back to Late Night, the aforementioned Hitler Gets Banned From Xbox Live and even the incredibly meta Hitler Makes a YouTube Video are already gone. New Hitler videos, meanwhile, are apparently getting the axe as soon as they arrive; one about the leaked iPhone controversy was taken down the same day it was uploaded.

The irony of Constantin's action is obvious: Many movie fans have made a point of seeing Downfall precisely because of these videos. The copyright claim may be valid but the fact is that you can't buy that kind of publicity, and I cannot fathom why Constantin would ever want to pull the plug on it. Whatever the reason, the bottom line is this: If you want to see any of these videos, you better be quick about it.

And please: Nobody tell Hitler.

Source: Open Video Alliance

How long do you think until someone makes a Downfall video of this? I wager it already exists.

What? They're banning those videos? That's the worst thing to happen to Youtube since they stopped allowing music videos to be shown in the UK! I think the Downfall parodies have actually done wonders for the film, I only heard about the film through the parodies myself. They've effectively brought the film itself a massive legion of fans, and are one of the best things to be on Youtube in a long time. I think Constantin are making a massive mistake, personally...

Well that sucks ass.
I know its within their right, but that doesn't mean its not lame as hell...

edit: Actually, I'm curious, how many people saw the movie because of the youtube video's?

I know I did.

I never get why companies keep doing it. They're basically blocking stopping people from advertising their own product for them.

I understand they have the right to do so, but they're basically shooting themselves in the foot here.

noooo! this is madness!

A meme dies in a bang and not a whimper? No, it cannot be!

I never heard of these i did a little searching and just laughed at my screen!

Soldier : "But sir the Xbox 360 rules"

Hitler : "Fuck the Xbox 360 fanboy talk"

Even though I've only seen one, I think it was one on Sarah Palin resigning, I found the video hilarious. But now the fun and happy/new thought police have come.

This is madness!

sad thing is you wont see a video where "Hitler finds out Constatine is banning his videos"

Great movie. They were funny at first but now there is way to many of them, but hey it had a good run.(Oh and also appropriate date)

I'm sorry but what is downfall? I've never seen it. Also at time of typing in this message your picture is broken.

Irridium:
Well that sucks ass.
I know its within their right, but that doesn't mean its not lame as hell...

edit: Actually, I'm curious, how many people saw the movie because of the youtube video's?

I know I did.

Yup me too. I remember seeing it in the videostore many times and always intended on renting it. But with the help of youtube I actually got around to doing it.

OT: That's too bad, I would always go back and watch a few of them for a laugh.

Well your image is still broken...

But most importantly wtf is downfall? I will say good, whatever helps rid youtube of all its garbage. (granted i havent seen said videos, but they probably are garbage)

Awwwwww this sucks! A part of me wants to cry (not really) and another punch the person responsible for this in the face.

xmetatr0nx:
But most importantly wtf is downfall? I will say good, whatever helps rid youtube of all its garbage. (granted i havent seen said videos, but they probably are garbage)

Wow, prejudice. "It's on YouTube therefore it must suck."

The videos in question are of a particular scene in Downfall, where Adolf Hitler is meeting with his remaining top generals to plan the defense of Berlin as the Allies and Soviets come knocking. It's rather dramatic, watched by itself. But the sight of Hitler going into a nervous screaming sesion has led people to subtitle the scene with all sorts of hilarious dialogue, having Hitler rant about everything from the XBox to Starcraft II.

It's a pity. It's just one scene of the movie, but you know how the big media companies slam the door shut on any showing of their stuff that they don't control. or make money off of

My favourite.
And Bruno Ganz is a brilliant actor; I really must switch off the german not to break the illusion.

Downfall was a great movie but these parody videos definitely kept the longevity of the film.

Wow, a thread that Godwin's itself.

I prefer this one though

And, of course, there's a Twilight one.

Why ban them, it is just such a waste of time, it gets them free publicity with no negative drawbacks.

I think that it stopped being funny, but I still don't like the fact that they're removing it just out of principle. The excessive use of DMCA to remove content that should be protected by fair use exemption is a loophole that needs to be closed. I was hoping that the 2008 case where a McCain campaign ad got DMCA'd would have gotten Washington's attention.

Downfall Parody's of this comeing in 3...2...

Seriously, why would they want to pull the plug on this stuff, it's not like it's causeing them to loose money.

I was actually gonna get around to picking up Downfall on DVD after seeing the parody videos, but I suddenly don't feel like supporting Constantin Film with my money.

And please: Nobody tell Hitler

Something tells me that after they are removed another hundred will be uploaded about the copyright claim

Great. YouTube sucks again.

What a birthday gift for Adolf.

Andy Chalk:

Too late.

Quadtrix:
Great. YouTube sucks again.

When was it good?

I saw the Hitler reactions to PS3 backwards Compatability being pulled. When I saw that scene, I was in stitches! I also wanted to see Downfall cause that scene looked TENSE! I saw the movie and loved it! I'd have never rented it if it weren't for the parodies. BAD movie company for frowning on free publicity! BAD!

I just have watched the iPad one and i thought it was brilliant, i didn't know it was part of a meme i thought it was all original.

*search for it and finds out it was removed* :(

"The copyright claim may be valid"

Nope. Parody is covered under fair use, they don't have any legitimate legal ground to stand on. Youtube's complacency on the issue of copyright claims is the only reason they've been successful thus far.

Awww...I loved watching those.

If these were parodies they would be protected under fair use laws, but the Downfall videos would probably be described as satire since they are used to poke fun at other cultural events rather than the movie Downfall itself.

thenumberthirteen:
How long do you think until someone makes a Downfall video of this? I wager it already exists.

Grayjack:
What a birthday gift for Adolf.

Andy Chalk:

Too late.

hell yes! :P

It's total of what five minutes out of the movie? Even factoring in the other scenes that are parodied, it can't be more than ten minutes. So they're denying people seeing a trailer. Stupid. I'm actually sad that people won't see this awesome movie, moreso than the loss of funny. I'm one of the few who saw it soon after it came out(I was talking to a German about WWII and she recommended it), and even then that scene stood out.
That scene where Goebbel's wife puts the kids to bed is one of the most evil scenes I've ever seen on film, more chilling than any chainsaw maniac or chestburster because that shit fucking happened.

For me, it was a more powerful movie than Schindler's List or The Pianist, because you are seeing what the people responsible for it all were like- and they were just regular people (except Goebbels, he was a monster), which to me is scarier. It means that Apocalypse is possible without an Antichrist.

Are they angry people are making fun of Hitler?

And my favorite is the one where he finds out he's got VD.

So stupid. The only reason I (hell, anyone I know) have even heard of this movie is because of these parodies. Bad move, bad move.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here