Blizzard Sues Alleged Hackers, Then Drops Charges

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Sues Alleged Hackers, Then Drops Charges

A week after filing suit, Blizzard has suddenly dropped all charges against alleged hacker group "Starcrack."

On April 12, Blizzard moved to sue a man by the name of John Marshall and five other unnamed defendants, alleging Marshall, under the name "usmc23," was posting detailed reports on the progress of the group's attempt to crack Starcraft II's game client and create an unauthorized copy. Blizzard's complaint was Marshall and his fellow hackers were producing this crack "...with the goal of enabling members of this community to benefit from Blizzard's development of SC2 without paying for it."

A week later, the charges, which included direct and indirect copyright violation as well as the circumvention of copyright protection systems and a breach of contract, have all been dropped, with no stated reason why. What we do know is Blizzard is cracking down on hacks and misuse of its system, so dropping the lawsuit seems a bit out of character. Mistaken identity, perhaps?

Source: Gamasutra

Would be interesting to know why Blizzard dropped the charges.... Blizzard just released the SC2 Editor!!! Rejoice!

They probably just did for a little shock & awe

yeah but the servers are down! Sadface

perhaps they dropped it due to the people no longer attempting to crack the game? who knows.

Perhaps the guy ended up telling Blizzard how it could be cracked and how they could prevent others from doing the same ending up with them altering their coding?

I have no idea how these things usually go, but in a dream world, that would happen.

Well, okay, in a dream world there wouldn't have been people cracking games or piracy or any of that as developers would've found the perfect price and system to release their games. But you get the point.

Maybe they got the wrong guy and the real crooks rerouted their IP addresses or some such new fangled thing you kids do when you are trying to be sneaky. Of maybe they found out that John Marshall is incapable of being the crook and dropped it to avoid bad publicity...

maybe there just wasn't enough evidence

Maybe the crackers cracked Blizzard's servers and erased the charges themselves.

Man, that'd be awesome.

Maybe the guys named in the suit showed Blizzard what they were actually making, with it turning outto be more innocent than a crack.
Or they got the wrong guy?
Or they figured it would cost more than it would actually benefit them?
Or maybe it's a conspiracy and Marshall's going to be assasinated within the week by CIA agents assisted by MI6 and Mossad all working secretly under the employ of Bobby Kotick.

Who knows...

Maybe Blizzard hired them, the way the FBI hires hackers to hack for us, and the way the CIA hires assassins to assassinate for our side.

SnipErlite:
Maybe the crackers cracked Blizzard's servers and erased the charges themselves.

Man, that'd be awesome.

If a little depressing.
People can actually do that. T.T Nobody is safe.

Sadly SC2 is going to receive massive amounts of pirating in South Korea because of the AO rating it was labeled with over there. All the teens who would have normally bought the game out of respect for Blizzard will be forced to pirate it. That has to piss Blizzard off to no end.

OMG looks like they are hacking pre-beta units back into the game, based on the screenshot. Give me back my scout while you're at it, toss needs some anti-air.

I think Blizzard are using a scare-tactic, to try and scare the hell out of cheaters.

"This is just a warning. We know where you live, and we will take your shit with the law on our side if you do not behave"

Sephychu:

SnipErlite:

Man, that'd be awesome.

If a little depressing.
People can actually do that. T.T Nobody is safe.

Also a little amusing.

Yup - the internet really is one of the most powerful forces in the world.....

I think its a stunt by blizzard to scare hackers. No way would someone back down on a lawsuit like this if they had evidence which they must have done to make the claim in the first place

Possibly a settlement out of court?

lacktheknack:
Possibly a settlement out of court?

Doubtful. On a direct infringement case that could easily run into ridiculous amounts of money.

Maybe they hired him?
Cracking stuff takes skill and knowledge.
Skill and knowledge is useful.

I'm on board with the idea with the idea of a "Shock and Awe" campaign.

Money isn't something a group of hackers probably have, at least not enough to make Blizzard happy.

Hubilub:
I think Blizzard are using a scare-tactic, to try and scare the hell out of cheaters.

"This is just a warning. We know where you live, and we will take your shit with the law on our side if you do not behave"

Or maybe they just trolled for the lulz. Since they eat souls and shit diamonds, they have the money to pull this off/get away with it.

Probably an indirect settlement, they probably just agreed to stop working on it.

Wonder why the sudden about face....must be dsomething going on there. Publicity stunt? Perhaps?

Even Blizzard makes mistakes. I'm glad they are on the ball as far as hacks go. It would be a shame if SCII suffered like SC has.

Rainboq:

That's my guess, they probably are trying to discourage hackers with minimal cost, and the best way to do that is to scare them, but not have to go through expensive legal proceedings

danpascooch:

That's my guess, they probably are trying to discourage hackers with minimal cost, and the best way to do that is to scare them, but not have to go through expensive legal proceedings

Blizzard has attorneys that work full time for them, legal fees is a misnomer, should be called lawyer fees. Since they already pay them, I doubt that is the reason.

hired assassins. Much more effective.

Rainboq:

Agreed Blizzard isnt fishing for johnny nobodies paltry bank account they just want them to stop. Prolly felt a little show of teeth was sufficient, no use wasting time actually litigating with the haxors, if you can just shut down the web site.

Kotick hired them to infiltrate Respawn Entertainment

Austin MacKenzie:
...so dropping the lawsuit seems a bit out of character. Mistaken identity, perhaps?

Baldr:

danpascooch:

Blizzard has attorneys that work full time for them, legal fees is a misnomer, should be called lawyer fees. Since they already pay them, I doubt that is the reason.

Oh right, I forgot a company that big would have lawyers on retainer....no idea why then

Blizzard dropped the case because the case wouldn't have ended up how they wanted it to end anyway.

Well if they either intended it or not it shows that anything but a closet crack of the game will result in Blizzard dropping the hammer on any organized attempt to crack it.

I'm betting that they were gonna stomp them out but as soon as they brought the charges the culprits freaked the fuck out and agreed to stop immedietly.

maybe blizzard hired them to continue hacking the game, but report to them and give them all the code they used to create walls walls and more walls. Unfortunately that would mean no LAN crack because starcrack is half way there and be forced to hand it over to blizzard.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here