Doomed Madden NFL 11 Cover Star Chosen

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Doomed Madden NFL 11 Cover Star Chosen

EA has sent another football athlete to certain doom by placing him on the cover of Madden NFL 11

The Madden curse's target for 2010 has been chosen. This year, it'll irreparably harm Madden NFL 11 cover athlete Drew Brees, whom my people tell me is the quarterback (the man who yells hike and throws the ball) for the New Orleans Saints. They sound like a nice team of fellows, it's too bad their quarterback is likely to fall in a vat of molten lead sometime within the next few weeks. The Madden curse came about from a series of injuries and poor seasons that have affected Madden's cover athletes over the years.

Brees was chosen through an online "Change the Game" vote sponsored by Doritos, which my people tell me is a triangle-shaped nacho chip covered in flavorings such as Cool Ranch and Jalapeno Popper. Doritos is all over the videogame industry in recent years, also appearing in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and sponsoring XBLA development contests in the past, truly desiring to become the controller staining snack of gamers everywhere.

Brees beat out Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen and Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, two other sports athlete men. The New Orleans Saints have apparently been to something called the "Super Bowl" recently where they defeated an opposing team and became the best in the entire universe at playing with a ball and wearing helmets.

According to EA, Madden NFL 11 will have a new play-calling system called "GameFlow" that can automate the experience if desired. This wouldn't be something I need as I always just choose goal line defenses and offenses, except when actually on the goal line. This strategy might not work out often, but when it does, it's very embarrassing for my opponent.

What I find quite interesting is how many supporters of Madden tend to care more about the cover athlete than the game's new features each year. What's the big deal about he who graces said cover? Is it all because of the Madden curse, or has Madden become today's Wheaties box?

Madden NFL 2011 will be out in August, as it is every year.

What exactly is the Madden curse?

oppp7:

I was wondering the same thing

oppp7:

The player on the cover of Madden every single year follows it up with one of the worst years of his career.

EDIT: Or he gets injured.

oppp7:

Whoever is on the cover has their carrer go down the tubes for some reason. Has been happening for at least... 10 years?....

Anyhoo... NOOOOOOOO! I barely pay attention to the NFL, and this was one of the players I like!

Why Madden! Why!

DividedUnity:

oppp7:

I was wondering the same thing

Edit: Damn, I have been ninja'd twice!

Rand-m:

oppp7:

The player on the cover of Madden every single year follows it up with one of the worst years of his career.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:

oppp7:

Whoever is on the cover has their carrer go down the tubes for some reason. Has been happening for at least... 10 years?....

Anyhoo... NOOOOOOOO! I barely pay attention to the NFL, and this was one of the players I like!

Why Madden! Why!

Ah, thanks guys.
Well, sucks for New Orleans then. But after coming out of winning the Super Bowl it's not like it's going to mess with their reputation as much. And now that they've all gotten to the top there's not much of a reason to do good now.

Poor doomed bastard...

hey, they can just put a redskin on the cover every year and not have an effect! ZING!

Last year, Troy Polamalu and Larry Fitzgerald were on the cover. Polamalu got injured and was out practically all season, but Fitzgerald had a decent year. It seems the only way to counter the Madden curse is to put two people on the cover and have each of them pray that they aren't the one to be injured.

In all seriously, the curse sounds fun but the game itself, Naaaawwh.

I hate them and I hate the game itself. Everytime it's the same with an updated rostor and they pull the plug of this version sooner or later like they did with 09.

Screw you EA. x]

brodie21:
hey, they can just put a redskin on the cover every year and not have an effect! ZING!

I LOL'd. :-)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, maybe Brees can break the curse. If not, I'm not looking forward to Brunell ball all season.

brodie21:

Oh snap! I must admit as a formal DC resident (and fan) that stung a little.(even though thats true)

oppp7:

Rand-m:

oppp7:

With the exception of Brett Favre, he was the 09 cover guy and still had an ok year.

Considering that all the Madden covers have been all the same "guy holding ball" with only slight variations in poses, why you want to throw your career away with this is beyond me.

asinann:

oppp7:

Rand-m:

oppp7:

With the exception of Brett Favre, he was the 09 cover guy and still had an ok year.

Nah, it just cursed us and caused him to unretire...

I just hope the curse kicks in before December 6th, with the brutal schedule my Bengals got this year we need every break we can get. Who DEY!!!

So long Drew Brees you will be missed.

Armored Prayer:

brodie21:

Oh snap! I must admit as a formal DC resident (and fan) that stung a little.(even though thats true)

i live near DC, but i am not a redskins fan, even though my relatives have ribbed me about the redskins

Rand-m:

oppp7:

yeah exacly, bu last years cover had two players...did they turn out ok?

i think resse will heave a great year once more, hell break the madden curse just like boston broke the goat curse! ;)

JARED ALLEN WAS A CONTENDER!?

Thank god he didn't get it... The last thing the Vikings need is to have the D-line lacking... I panic enough about whether the Williams Wall is going to be intact every game.

Sweet, its a saint, still wont affect how rubbish Greenbay do though, god-damn cheese heads! Why could it not have been a bloody viking, seriously would have uped Greenbay's chances loads.

brodie21:

Armored Prayer:

brodie21:

i live near DC, but i am not a redskins fan, even though my relatives have ribbed me about the redskins

Ha same story with me. I always prefer the Ravens more than the Redskins, but I'm not that much into football to begin with.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:

oppp7:

Why Madden! Why!

Actually Ray Lewis is still going pretty strong (GO RAVENS F****AS!!)

Awesome, I've never heard of him, but it will be interesting to see what happens

While I thank you for taking the time to break down what 'foot ball' is for us shut in gamers. I know what a Dorito is. Don't eat the things, but I know the snack aisle of a grocery store well. I'm sure lots of us do.

The one thing I love about Madden: The Madden Curse.

Ah crap. Please don't take Brees away :(

Awexsome:

Thank god he didn't get it... The last thing the Vikings need is to have the D-line lacking... I panic enough about whether the Williams Wall is going to be intact every game.

The Vikings don't need the Madden Curse to choke. They have been doing it faithfully on their own since the 70s.

Good, now we wont get another post season filled with annoying "who dat" calls.

Low Key:

Awexsome:

The Vikings don't need the Madden Curse to choke. They have been doing it faithfully on their own since the 70s.

They ALMOST had it last season too...

If Favre comes back they still have a good chance this year... we're so damn close it hurts...

asinann:

oppp7:

Rand-m:

oppp7:

The thing with Favre is that he's been injured but it doesnt stop him and thats why i like him.

Well, I know who I'm not taking in the fantasy draft.

Good luck Saints, you'll need it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or