Jane Jensen's Gray Matter Coming to the Xbox 360

Jane Jensen's Gray Matter Coming to the Xbox 360

Gray Matter, the first full-length adventure game to come from Gabriel Knight creator Jane Jensen since Gabriel Knight 3 in 1999, will be released on the Xbox 360 alongside the PC later this year.

Originally announced back in 2003, Gray Matter has suffered through numerous lengthy delays but is finally set to come out later this year. Along with the PC version of the game, publisher dtp Entertainment revealed today that an Xbox 360 edition, modified to take advantage of the console's control system but otherwise identical in every respect, will be given a simultaneous release.

"With the Xbox 360 release, Gray Matter can reach a broader audience," designer Jane Jensen said, "especially people who don't play PC games very often."

Jensen may not have the fame of industry legends like Sid Meier or Peter Molyneux but her name is instantly recognizable to fans of the adventure genre thanks to her long tenure at Sierra, where she worked on games like Police Quest 3 and King's Quest 4 before making a splash with her first solo flight, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Gray Matter will continue in the "Jensen style," interweaving "gruesome incidents and supernatural events" as it tells the tale of reclusive, widowed neurologist David Styles and his new assistant, American vagabond and street artist Samantha Everett. When strange events follow in the wake of a seemingly harmless experiment, it's left up to Samantha to solve the mysteries of Dread Hill House.

Gray Matter will arrive in the final quarter of 2010 for the PC and Xbox 360.

Wait; why have I not heard about this game?! (...and why is it not on the Wii or DS, you know, consoles basically made for point'n'click games?).

This looks to be a very promising game..i'm on board for it.

This had totally come under my radar! Its good to see him still developing stuff, I was sure he had gone into the ether!

Lukeje:
Wait; why have I not heard about this game?! (...and why is it not on the Wii or DS, you know, consoles basically made for point'n'click games?).

Porbably needs some sort of processing power so it can't come out on the Wii
Wha-zing
But in all seriousness probably because the majority of people who buy Wiis and DSs probably wouldn't be interested in "gruesome incidents". I mean I know there are people who do, but not enough to warrant a console port

ooohhh, I like the look of this.

PS3 pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?

First Heavy Rain, now this. Why can't these games be released for PC as well? :sadface

Count me in!!! I loved all those old Sierra games (Police Quest, King's Quest, and Gabriel Knight). Certainly looking forward to it!!

pluizig:
First Heavy Rain, now this. Why can't these games be released for PC as well? :sadface

Umm... It *will* be released on PC as well.

Andy Chalk:

Eleima:

Umm... It *will* be released on PC as well.

Andy Chalk:

Darn, I read too fast. Great news then! :happyface

With Silent Hill part billion just slain by Yathzee I am hoping this will be the new leader in horror gaming :)

Gray matter is also a good title for a horror game, hope it'll feature it graphically during gameplay and otherwise will be messing about in your own psyche ^^

This game seems to have flown under everybody's radar. It's got a pretty obvious GK vibe to it, which I suppose isn't much of a surprise coming from Jane Jensen. Definitely looking forward to it.

Never heard of it and like many others, it went completly under my radar. Worth looking into, perhaps a demo. Can't say I am really I am really that interested.

New adventure games are always a plus.

That will hopefully make a nice change of pace for me on the 360. I'll give it rental and if I enjoy it enough I might get it.

I vaguely remember hearing about it years ago... I just assumed it was canceled. It prompted me to start playing the gabriel knight games, but lost interest in those about half-way through the second one... too much bad acting, not enough tim curry hilariously over-acting.

Andy Chalk:
revealed today that an Xbox 360 edition, modified to take advantage of the console's control system but otherwise identical in every respect, will be given a simultaneous release.

Wow, PC to 360? that's getting far too rare these days.

Thing is, will it tell you to press space bar and run and terrible speeds because of an inexcusably lazy port?

Awesome a brand new point and click game is always a plus, between this and the monkey island 2 remake my mouse should be happy for at least a year

Never heard about till now. Looks interesting enough, especially since I love adventure games. Whether this delayed game will be a TF2 or DOOM 3 is still up in the air though.

[quote="Andy Chalk" post="7.191469.6002018"]Gray Matter will arrive in the final quarter of 2010 for the PC and Xbox 360./quote]Hope to see you guys review this game!

I completely forgot about this since it was anounced. As a big fan of the Gabriel Knight series I am looking forward to something fresh from Jane Jensen.

Am I the only one who misread this and thought it was about George Jetson's wife?

If intrigues cause this to mysteriously transform into another XBox 360 exclusive shortly before release, I am not to be held responsible when Microsoft's offices are mysteriously filled with shaving cream.

Gabriel Knight fans have been anticipating this one for awhile now. Check out this 2007 Escapist interview with Jane: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_116/2272-The-Escapist-Interview-Jane-Jensen

I'm not into horror really but like the Gabriel Knight games... Definitely a title to look into for when it comes out.

Since I consider GK2 the best FMV adventure game ever made, I am really looking forward to this. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace my RROD'd 360 after all, I didn't bother just for ME2, but now there's a real reason. I still don't expect that anyone apart from long time fans will buy an underhyped adventure game in this day and age, especially on the 360.

As long as it doesn't contain puzzles that more or less require a guide I'm in.

Jaredin:
This had totally come under my radar! Its good to see her still developing stuff, I was sure she had gone into the ether!

Fixed for you :P
as for me, the last Sierra game I played was 'something'-runner (been so long I forgot the full title), where you ran from, and set up traps for, killer monks while searching for the key that would open the exit, and you could also open holes in the ground, but the ground would close up after awhile, so you had better be smart about them...

hansari:

Andy Chalk:

Hope to see you guys review this game!

Fixed for you too

This seems interesting. Might check it out when it gets released. I haven't play many games like this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here