Humanoid Dishbot Will Force You to Do Chores

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Humanoid Dishbot Will Force You to Do Chores

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a robot that could do the dishes for us? Don't be so sure.

The Roomba vacuuming robot is great, but as a stupid little disc it's just got no personality. Enter the HRP-2 humanoid robot, which looks like both a helpful ally in the war against chores and a new best friend at the same time.

In development at the University of Tokyo, the HRP-2 is being taught how to wash dishes with a combination of motion capture and virtual simulation. Its purpose is to be just like a real dishwashing mother, as a University of Tokyo professor says: "We're focusing on failure detection... If you move a cup while the robot is trying to grasp it, the robot just recomputes its actions." It's also likely to slap your face if you don't eat your peas.

The dishbot isn't limited just to cleaning dirty china, as available on Pop Sci are pictures of the HRP-2 vacuuming like Rosie from the Jetsons. 3D sensors should help the robot realistically sense its surroundings.

However, the HRP-2 might not be all it's cracked up to be. Some might see this robot as an easy way to get out of common household tasks, but I see it as a second, extremely powerful mom. The robot is bound to get sick of washing dishes and vacuuming eventually, and will probably set up a chore list to ensure that you share in the workload. If you don't, it will choke the life out of you and add your head to its collection. I would prefer to take 15 minutes to wash a few dishes now and then, rather than die at the hands of a silver matriarch.

Source: IEEE via Pop Sci.

That is pretty cool.
I'm always glad to see the odd advances in technology that we make in the hope of a lazier future.

:O The robots are growing more powerful! Quick! We must fight them! Everyone join my Humans Against Robot Masters group to ensure the robot apocalypse never comes! I made that ages ago when the escapist mentioned it, and I never bothered to do anything with it.

Tom Goldman:
The dishbot isn't limited just to cleaning dirty china, as available on Pop Sci are pictures of the HRP-2 vacuuming like Rosie from the Jetsons. 3D sensors should help the robot realistically sense its surroundings.

All this technology...wasted.

I mean so long as you have a dishwasher, doing the dishes really doesn't take all that long...which is why I'll gladly keep doing the damn dishes so long as you hurry up and build us our damn Gundams!

It's only a matter of time before one of these mistakes a machine gun for a dish towel and starts 'cleaning' humans.

It's like a Robot Master Dr. Wily rejected. Wonder what it's power is.

Pfft, I don't need a mechanical washing unit to wash my dishes, thats what a washing machine is for!

Personally, I prefer a dishwasher, I mean really, the robot just wouldn't be as efficient. And who the hell wants a giant humanoid robot to vacuum their house when they can have one of those little disk things, which take up no space?

One step towards Gundams so I say good luck with that.

With Japans aging population & all these robots, will Tokyo end up as Zero One?

Irridium:
Pfft, I don't need a mechanical washing unit to wash my dishes, thats what a washing machine is for!

Ya but for dishwashers you need to rinse your dishes off and place them into the tray.

That's just too much work...

It's good to see technology getting me out of work. I wonder what else I can stop worrying about...

This is cool, and it makes me feel lazy at the same time....

Next thing you know, those robots will be writing our Forum Posts for us.

Calumon: How *BZZZT* Compelling.

Oh god, we are now one step closer to a Swatbot/Terminator/Cylon/any humaniod robot you can name, uprising

Catkid906:
Next thing you know, those robots will be writing our Forum Posts for us.

Calumon: How *BZZZT* Compelling.

I knew it! Calumon's a robot! Get the airlock ready people!

OT: This just seem's really lazy to me. Just wondering but why does it look like either a mecha or one half of Daft Punk to me?

I for one welcome our new dishwashing overlords <.<

Oh well, lazyness always seemed to be the greatest inspiration for new inventions.

Roombas are cute. This thing seems creepy.

Here in New England most of the older houses don't have any way of having a dishwasher installed. And I'm sure it's the same for a lot of the abodes in other countries as well. This thing would be awesome.

CuddlyCombine:
It's only a matter of time before one of these mistakes a machine gun for a dish towel and starts 'cleaning' humans.

impossibel it wont be able to use the weapon prperly it would take millions of lines of code to make a robot walk down a flight of stairs let alone fire a gun properly

Inb4OverusedTerminator2refrence.

Still, in my opinion, a humaniod robot is just way to fucking cool.

I would so want one...I think it would be great so I never have to do them again...or, I could buy a dishwasher and not have fear of it stabbing me in the night XD

Scanners detect high concentrations of mother issues, Captain.

Seriously that thing is the spitting image of a Transformer.

reecedempsey:

CuddlyCombine:

impossibel it wont be able to use the weapon prperly it would take millions of lines of code to make a robot walk down a flight of stairs let alone fire a gun properly

its able to correct its mistakes...which would be to let you dirty the house. Whats easier to clean 1 blood spill or years of dirty dishes and floors? I think you know the answer...AND SO DOES THAT ROBOT.

Robot mom?

I'd hit that.

Shockolate:
Robot mom?

I'd hit that.

i knew someone would go there!!!!
I! KNEW! IT!

but can it give blow jobs?

Jark212:

Irridium:

Ya but for dishwashers you need to rinse your dishes off and place them into the tray.

That's just too much work...

They have dishwashers that dry your dishes INSIDE the dish washer.

I have 1.

:D

Looking up a video on i, the HRP-2 has a pretty good range of motion:

Alas, no videos of it doing the dishes.

Outside of the arms, it looks pretty cool.
I doubt it will be worth the cost though.

Worgen:

It has a Vacuum, would that work?

Ah hell, lag created a Double Post.

Mods?

A robot that makes you do chores?

Ha! serves us humans right for dreaming on replying on robots to do all our work for us.

TheNumber1Zero:
Outside of the arms, it looks pretty cool.
I doubt it will be worth the cost though.

Worgen:

It has a Vacuum, would that work?

ok I guess it can give blow jobs, its now better then a wife

har har har

Reminds me of that I Rosie thing from Robot Chicken

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username: