Free Mechwarrior 4 Workarounds: Getting It and Playing It

Free Mechwarrior 4 Workarounds: Getting It and Playing It

Demand for the free release of Mechwarrior 4 has brought the Mektek website crashing down, but the game is still available via BitTorrent and instructions to get it all working have been posted online.

The planned free release of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries has not gone smoothly. First, the whole process was hung up by Microsoft, which had the unfortunate side effect of putting serious financial strain on Mektek, the group behind the giveaway. When the release finally did go ahead, the Mektek website was able to keep up with demand for, oh, about a half-hour or so.

"Within 4 hours of the launch MekTek.net had received more than a 100,000 unique hits from around the globe," according to a message posted on Battletech.com. "As the demand reached 10,000 simultaneously downloads, even the heavy-duty server couldn't stand up to the demand and it, along with the website, have crashed. Through several reboots the server continues to crash as the demand still remains in the stratosphere." The Mektek crew is working to get the site back up, but at the time of writing it was still unavailable.

Fortunately for fans of giant fighting robots, there's a Plan B: Dwell On It has posted a link to a torrent of the 1.8 gb MTX file and, more important, a guide to making the whole thing work. It's a fairly simple three-process: First, rename the "mechwarrior4mercenaries.all.to.51.03.01.0017.mtx" to a .zip extension, then unpack it to the location of your choice, and finally go here and read the rest of the instructions. Okay, maybe it's not quite that simple, but if you're serious about playing Mechwarrior 4 then you probably won't find it too intimidating.

On the other hand, if this kind of dicking around doesn't really appeal to you, patience will eventually get you where you want to go: This process is simply a method of manually performing the tasks that the MTX distribution system does automatically, so once Mektek comes back online it'll handle most of the grunt work for you. Cross your fingers and keep an eye on Mektek.net for signs of life.

Andy Chalk:
Cross your fingers and keep an eye on Mektek.net for signs of life.

Wow! The website works already!

Calumon: Better late than never.

EDIT:
Jack: Ah, but the download link appears to be a tad slow, working but slow.

Catkid906:

Andy Chalk:

I get 403: Forbidden. They must be nursing it back to health.

My question: why not release MW3 too? Sure it may not work on XP but maybe they could work around that. I'd actually pay for an XP/7 compatible MW3.

I have Vengeance on CD. :'D

Never knew this went free.
SWEET! Good there working on alternative means to get it

And just after Mektek got their server running again this article sent another 100,000 hits their way causing it to crash again and the deaths of some of their more sucidially inclined IT personnel.

Nice of them to give away the game, but not surprising that MS was the hold-up. I was surprised that 10k people were trying to download it all at once... been quite a while since that game was out and I'd have thought everyone would have forgotten it by now if it weren't for the news of the upcoming new release.

Ill likely give it a little while before I dive in, but, I am looking forward to playing it thats for sure!

Great game! Hope they still provide support for the online servers...

Luckily by the times my exams are over the demand will (hopefully) have died down and I can get down to some serious business via massive guns.

Thank you for the link! It doesn't seem like a too complicated of a process, so I will try to download it via this method. Sadly, there does not seem to be a lot of active seeders yet, so the download is slow. But I guess it is better then nothing.

I am looking forward to trying this game, even though I usually do not have the patience for simulation games. For some reason, I have started to grow fond of the mecha genre and I am interested in seeing how they are depicted in this game. Plus, freeware games are always nice.

I'll be downloading that tomorrow during the day, as long as the site hasn't died by then again that is :D

That's awesome, I'm downloading it now!

it's back online on the actual website everybody go and get it!

GodKlown:
I was surprised that 10k people were trying to download it all at once... been quite a while since that game was out and I'd have thought everyone would have forgotten it by now if it weren't for the news of the upcoming new release.

I think the time since the last release may have caused the memory to fade for some, but for Mechwarrior fans it's just cranked up the hunger for something new. And you have to bear in mind that the Mechwarrior franchise is a pretty big one, both for tabletop and videogaming. Now that there's hope for something new (have you seen the info about the reboot?) I think you'll see a lot of renewed interest in the games.

(Now we just pray that Harmony Gold doesn't fuck it up for everyone.)

Haha it's funny, I was digging around my game book case and found a copy of MW4:M that I bought on release, played to death then forgot about. Awesome game.

Catkid906:

Andy Chalk:

EDIT:
Jack: Ah, but the download link appears to be a tad slow, working but slow.

Jack!? Jack!? Who the hell is Jack!? Jack is a lie and Calumon is the only true speaker.

Somewhere in the forum rules there has to be a limit on the number of personalities you can post as... It's in here somewhere.... Its not? Well hell. ;)

Back on topic: Free Mechwarrior is freaking awesome. I hope the next one in the series doesn't get mucked up by legal issues...

Thanks for bringing this link to light Andy!

Never played any of the MW games, but I have had the experience of sitting in on a tabletop session, and did enjoy the heck out of playing MechCommander, back in the day.

The sit-in was a bit boring, until all four players got into the thick of it... System overheats, devestating alpha strikes, and even a textbook DFA kill... Made me consider trying, until I saw the player reading materials. Yeesh.

With MechCommander, my biggest disappointment was that my favorite Warrior had the most annoying voice... I came to dread selecting him, "This is Rooster." in a screechy squeak. Anyone who's heard AiC's song would know that anybody called 'Rooster' should be a bad-*ss mofo, and should sound like it.

As soon as I have a computer to play on reliably, I'll be getting ahold of MW4, and giving it a go... Sadly, my desktop is stuck in a BSOD-on-Startup loop, and I don't have the time/desire to go through a wipe/reinstall and all the troubleshooting that that entails. My wife's computer is out of reach during the day, and the laptop is with her most days for her MBA work... ::sigh:: Soon though... Someday soon.

Anyone know which download goes faster?

EDIT: Nevermind, the torrent is doing preety well right now. 150 kB/s, not too shabby. ;)

Andy Chalk:
(Now we just pray that Harmony Gold doesn't fuck it up for everyone.)

But you know they will.

Bastards.

All I want is my Warhammer... Is that too much to ask?

I already own MW4, is there any way to get all the new mechs and patches and whatever without having to download the whole thing?

I've been using mektek for ages now, this release news was brilliant for them, though the server collapse was less than awesome. Hopefully their servers will be recovered and their site will get the increased traffic it deserves!

Does the retail 'Mech Packs work with this release? I bought the Clan Pack years ago and forgot about the game. Now I wanna rock MW4:Mercs with a Cauldron-Born! :D

Eukaryote:

My question: why not release MW3 too? Sure it may not work on XP but maybe they could work around that. I'd actually pay for an XP/7 compatible MW3.

Amen. MW4 just didn't feel right. The mechs looked more like toys than war machines. And the immersion in the cockpit suffered too.

SangRahl:
As soon as I have a computer to play on reliably, I'll be getting ahold of MW4, and giving it a go... Sadly, my desktop is stuck in a BSOD-on-Startup loop, and I don't have the time/desire to go through a wipe/reinstall and all the troubleshooting that that entails. My wife's computer is out of reach during the day, and the laptop is with her most days for her MBA work... ::sigh:: Soon though... Someday soon.

Just don't give up, this game is seriously worth it. It takes some time to get into it, and I'd take the time to customize the controls to your liking, since they're pretty horrible with the default settings, but the battles really are loads of fun.

MAn i played the hell out of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries. It's awesome that this fourth one is free.

Hurr Durr Derp:
I already own MW4, is there any way to get all the new mechs and patches and whatever without having to download the whole thing?

nonl33t m4st3r:
Does the retail 'Mech Packs work with this release? I bought the Clan Pack years ago and forgot about the game. Now I wanna rock MW4:Mercs with a Cauldron-Born! :D

Don't know, but the free release includes the Clan and Inner Sphere mech packs, and a whole bunch of other crapola. You'll probably find that just about everything available for the game is included in the package.

I never liked Mech Commander. Wait, let me rephrase. I hated Mech Commmander. I've never been an RTS fan anyway, but that game just completely turned me off. I played through maybe two or three missions and then quit. Big disappointment. So yes, if that's your only experience with any of the Mechwarrior games, you really do need to try something that actually puts you in the cockpit.

I have to admit, attaching the download client for a free game to your webservers is a bit dumb unless you're Valve or ModDB or something.

Wait until Desura launches before you do this sort of thing, people!

Eukaryote:

Because we didn't get permission to release MW3. Smith and Tinker gave us permission to release Mechwarrior 4 for free. AFAIK, we'd need to contact Microprose to release on their engine, and we'd need permission from S&T on that too. Would it be possible? Maybe, but not likely.

Hurr Durr Derp:

Unfortunately not. To install the new version you'll need to download the gamefile using MTX or torrent, and install it with MTX. This allows MTX to automatically patch the game properly, along with MTX helping open the proper ports needed to play.

Hurray! Even though I'm looking at my MW4: Mercenaries CDs as I type, it will be great to have multiplayer, more players, and just to help get people excited for the new MechWarrior reboot! :)

YES! I've been waiting so long for this to come out. Thank you Escapist Mag. for alerting me to this FABULOUS news!

We are very aware that some of you are having problems using MTX to download and install the free release of Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries. We are currently preparing a self extracting executable to install the game without using MTX.

This new release will require a new download, but should alleviate any of the issues of installing via MTX.

This new release will contain some bug fixes for Mercs, and we will prepare a patch for those of you who have been successfully installing and updating via MTX as well as executable patches to bring any version previously downloaded, up to date.

Once this new version clears our beta team, it will be made available for download in your BitTorrent client of choice. Please be patient as this may take a few days.

We will continue to work on ironing out the bugs in MTX, until then, we will provide an alternate way to acquire the game and updates through the self installing executables.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Good hunting.
The MekTek Team.

Hehe, I guess it's a shame I already bought it some years ago. ;)

I remember MW3 & 4. Never beat MW3, but I always loved it. I've got MW4, but it won't run on my laptop. Something about a byte allocation issue or something. And, I'm trying to update MW4 on MXT, but McAfee claimed it located a trojan during the update.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here