Who Would Pirate the One-Cent Humble Indie Bundle?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Who Would Pirate the One-Cent Humble Indie Bundle?

Despite being a stupidly awesome deal that people can legally pick up for a penny, it seems that some folks just can't resist pirating the Humble Indie Bundle.

We talked about the Humble Indie Bundle last week: Five very solid games (now six, thanks to the addition of Samorost 2) on sale for as little as a penny thanks to a "pay what you want" deal at Wolfire Games. Even better, some or all of the money put toward the purchase price of the game can be directed to charity. Yet in spite of all that, the bundle is still being pirated at a fairly significant rate.

"After some simple math, I estimate that over 25 percent of Humble Indie Bundle downloads are 'pirated' - that is, users download from shared links from forums and other places without actually contributing anything. Note: that is not including BitTorrent and other sources," Wolfire Games co-founder Jeff Rosen wrote in a blog post. "25 percent seems incredible given that you can simply pay $0.01 to be completely legitimate."

Rosen reached the 25 percent figure by sending two days of raw download data to a statistician friend of his, who estimated that the bundle had been downloaded from the website roughly 105,500 times, while approximately 79,000 people had made a donation of some amount. Some simple math indicates that about 75 percent of the downloads from the site are legitimate.

"There are a lot of assumptions here, but I tried to be as conservative and simple as possible," he added.

Why would anyone pirate a collection of games when they could acquire it legally for one one-hundredth of a dollar? Rosen himself offers several explanations: It's more convenient to click a torrent link that to type in a credit card number, users may be making one big donation on behalf of their friends rather than separate gift donations, some people may live in parts of the world where PayPal, Google Checkout and Amazon don't work and of course - this is the one I'd go with - some people are just jerks.

Whatever the reasons may be, Rosen said Wolfire is going to continue doing exactly what it's been doing to combat piracy: Pretty much nothing. "Making the download experience worse for generous contributors in the name of punishing pirates doesn't really fit with the spirit of the bundle," he wrote. "When considering any kind of DRM, we have to ask ourselves, 'How many legitimate users is it okay to inconvenience in order to reduce piracy?' The answer should be none."

For those who insist on pirating the bundle, Rosen has one request: Do it somewhere else. "Please consider downloading it from BitTorrent instead of using up our bandwidth!" he wrote. "Also, even though you are pirating our games, please tell some of your friends about the Humble Indie Bundle. Posting to Facebook, telling your Twitter followers, or simply talking to someone sure doesn't require a credit card." And maybe your friends won't all be cheap jerks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "ungrateful, self-entitled dicks," that's who.

Hmm. Wow, it's hard to believe that pirates would be this unprincipled. Man, it's almost like the rationalizations that pirates use for their behavior (DRM, price, etc) are actually just flimsy pretenses to get stuff for free. Can you possibly imagine that?!

John Funk:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "ungrateful, self-entitled dicks," that's who.

Cound not be said any better...I cannot believe some people...

Well thats just... lame.

It appears that price isn't much of an issue when dealing with pirates, since wherever you live, whatever currency you have, 1 cent is really, really cheap no matter where you are.

I'm sure there are people who really can't pay, but in that case, just don't get it.

At least the developers aren't planning on doing anything that does nothing but hurt honest consumers I mean use DRM.

Wow, and the some of the proceeds go to charity? This makes me lose faith in humanity a little.

the pirating part, not the charity donation part

John Funk:

Hmm. Wow, it's hard to believe that pirates would be this unprincipled. Man, it's almost like the rationalizations that pirates use for their behavior (DRM, price, etc) are actually just flimsy pretenses to get stuff for free. Can you possibly imagine that?!

The sarcasm is strong in this one...

But yeah, I agree. Pirates are douchebags, not 'freedom fighters' battling the corporations oppressive DRM scheme.

John Funk:

I KNOW. Totally ludicrous. Thats like saying when wealthy successful men cheat on their wives, they do it because they're genetical and instinctivly disposed to do so, and not because a mighty alien wizard has cast his spell.

Maybe an alien wizard made them pirate the game!?

See video for answer.

I jest! I would buy it, i mean, come on, it's as close as physically possible to being free. AND ITS LEGAL! :o

Note that only people with credit cards can purchase the bundle.
For some kids its simply easier to download it from somewhere else than steal there moms credit card, which are quite rare in some countries.
I'm sure there are some hard workarounds, but those are rather...hard.
More important, what a great deal, alot more interesting than the piracy discussion so thanks for that info
too :D
I'll try to buy it really hard, but note that i don't have a credit card. I'll edit the results.
Maybe the pirates had no other possible option then to pirate.
Edit: Up to now, no possibilty to buy the games. Has anyone an idea to cirumvent the creditcard requirement?
In germany 22.7% of people own a credit card, none of the in my family or me.
So i can't pay for it even if i wan't to.
I guess thats the reason then, the pirates CAN'T buy the bundle, they aren't cheapskates.

Also, in this statistic, if your download stops and you restart the download, you count as a pirate.
They have a ftp server, no donation required.
The just compared the number of downloads with the donations, downloads being 25% higher.
So: (edit)
If you internet connection dies and you redownload, you're a Pirate.
In this statistic anyway. And if you pay 50$ and download it on every family computer, you are 4 or 5 pirates, all in one person.

This is really sad. ITS ONE FUCKING CENT. But some people would rather die than spend one more cent than they have to.

That's just silly. To compensate, I'm going to pay 25% more for my bundle!

Wait, what's 25% of one cent? :P

Though, playing Devil's advocate for a moment, I imagine that with a pricing scheme like that they're more concerned with getting people to play than they are with getting people to pay. Which is exactly what they're doing, one way or another.

I'm betting on a dickhead who knows how awesome he is for not even giving a penny to a deserving charity and/or treating developers, who seem to be just decent people trying to do some good, like they are assholes.

Pirating to not pay one cent?! literally?! Big jerks that's what pirates are!

I buy all my indie titles at full price.
Moral high ground, y'all.

Seriously though, piracy on this level is perpetrated only by the very lowest common denominator. We proper internet folks shun them.

The disparity between the usual industry doomsayers whining about pirates outnumbering legal customers 20 to 1 and this report saying that there's one possible pirate for every 3 legal buyers is interesting.

From personal experience, I'll add a fifth category of people:
People who's internet goes down three quarters in and as a result have to re-download it.

Edit: Aaand every single post made in the meantime is part of another hate rally against strawman buccaneers that the guy this article is about says have a 75% chance of being phantoms anyway.

The reason people would pirate it has been said by many, but best by one Dr. Percival Ulysses Cox. "People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling." That, and they'll do anything to "stick it to the man" and all that crap. Bunch of cheap jerks.

This reminds me of a few months ago when I saw Men of War (One of my favorite RTS games atm) for only $4.00, even though I already "had" *Caugh* the game, I bought it, for some people that don't have money and can't buy games I find piracy somewhat acceptable, I mean, they aren't able to buy it anyways? But for under $10, piracy is downright evil.

I accuse myself of doing some evils, but I'm trying to be better, in fact I'm thinking about whipping out my credit for this, World of goo itself is worth whatever you pay.
Please don't flame me for this opinion, I already did a research paper on it and I'm fairly certain I don't want to debate it again.

That's just plain sad...
I mean honestly, I've never payed for games over "teh Internetz" before, but with something as awesome as this? And for whatever I want to pay?

Props to the people behind the idea.
Unfortunately, there will always be those who prefer to go; "Money is the blood running through my veins." which in turn, makes it all quite disheartening.

-3 to 'Faith In Humanity' skill.

Hell, I think it's time I bought some entertainment online... for once.
*Super Kirby Fwoosh* ~(>'-')>

I would imagine it might get pirated a lot because of kids around the ages of 14-16 who don't own credit cards. That's the only explanation I could think of.

I don't use credit cards so I can't get the bundle anyway, not that I'm going to pirate it though. Since it's pretty much for charity, why don't they just make the bundle available for free with a notice of what charity they want to make the donations to along with their adresses when the games start up. I know if I had downloaded it for free with that, I'd be more than willing to send a donation.

If they did that and people STILL pirated it, then you know people are doing it just to do it (which I think a lot of pirating is. You tell someone they can't do something and their going to just for kicks.)

I downloaded them from a link to try them first. I only donated 20 dollars because world of good and penumbra were the only ones I liked and removed the rest from my computer because i didnt think they were that great.

Either way you really cant complain when people dont want to pay anything for a pay what you want bundle. It is pay what you want even if that amount is 0.

Too bad that I already own the games I'm actually interested in in this bundle. Paid a couple of bucks for World of Goo back when it had a similar solo-campaign, and have a retail copy of Penumbra Collection.

How many of those extra downloads were people re-downloading in order to make backups on other computers? Something it clearly says you are allowed to do? (Though several of them are only licensed to be installed on one computer at a time).

John Funk:
Man, it's almost like the rationalizations that pirates use for their behavior (DRM, price, etc) are actually just flimsy pretenses to get stuff for free. Can you possibly imagine that?!

I don't know. Every pirate I've talked to said they only use piracy to combat DRM, lack of demos, and high prices! And nobody would lie over the internet to win an argument, so they must be telling the truth! They are freedom-fighters, Mr. Funk! And I don't think your tone truly reflects all the hardships of getting free software that they have to endure! Bitching about a lack of seeders is a real traumatic experience!

On a much more serious note: This is crap.
The selfish pricks strike again!

GiantRedButton:
Maybe the pirates had no other possible option then to pirate.

That is not an excuse. Not in the slightest.
If I lived in Far-away-istan with no access to these games, I still wouldn't have the right or reason to pirate.
It's never the right option.

Despicable people, seriously. I donated a fair amount of money, all to charity and I am glad they are sensible people still.

It seems greedyness knows no bounds, faith in humanity is declining rapidly.

John Funk:

Most of my pirate asshole friends don't have a credit card.

They pirate it and then they are gonna let it sit in their hard drives and maybe play it once. Well they have to fill up that terabyte external hard drive somehow why not pirate a practically free game to fill it instead of wasting so much time cracking games with DRM.

dogstile:

John Funk:

So... get a friend to do it, and pay them back? Use paypal? Don't acquire the damn games?

It really blows my mind that pirates don't seem to have a concept of "If you can't afford it, you don't get to have it."

It's more convenient to click a torrent link that to type in a credit card number, users may be making one big donation on behalf of their friends rather than separate gift donations, some people may live in parts of the world where PayPal, Google Checkout and Amazon don't work

This, probably the most... not even the money itself but the effort and the forms you have to fill out attached to the purchase.

Other than that, the people supposedly paying only 1-10 cents aren't exactly any better or "not cheaper", depending on how big the games are 1 cent may just cover the bandwidth costs.

Also, the supposed higher number of Downloads to Donations doesn't exactly point to piracy either, it could be just people that might download it twice for 2 PCs or their laptops, or people that had to Restart the download cause it broke down, some Download Managers also work that way, establishing several connections to download faster etc. etc. I sure as hell downloaded some games several dozen times using Steam...

Maybe these people have a reason? Maybe they can't pay over the internet? I know I can't. I don't have a credit card, paypal or anything else of that stuff. I know, it's unlikely, but it's still possible they either pirate it, or don't play at all.\
EDIT: Argh. Damn ninja's strike again.

TorrentFreak wrote a good article on this, and takes a slightly different view than this one: http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-when-even-a-penny-is-too-much-100510/

John Funk:

dogstile:

John Funk:

So... get a friend to do it, and pay them back? Use paypal? Don't acquire the damn games?

It really blows my mind that pirates don't seem to have a concept of "If you can't afford it, you don't get to have it."

While I agree, and yes, i am arguing for the sake of arguing here.

"Pay what you want". I'm sure the guys didn't say "Pay nothing" but it does say it.

This proves that some of the pirates out there just don't have any morals at all.

Jaredin:

John Funk:

Cound not be said any better...I cannot believe some people...

Yeah, considering this is a pay what you want pack of five games, with some of the proceeds going to charity, I'm actually pretty disgusted.

And I'm the sort of scumbag who would kick a puppy for a laugh. And I might be a liar.

John Funk:

I doubt that anyone can't afford to buy the 0.01 euro game. The payment system is a different issue. Propably just a unfortunate choice of words.
but if you can't pay the developer anyway, what difference does it make if you download it?
It's not like the developer loses money. They allow 0.01 donatios so that as many people as possible can play it anyway.
Kinda sucks that the indie developers get the worst when it comes to piracy.
The games aren't 20 gb in size but just a little rapidshare file, and allot of people can't be customers to begin with.
Unless your in America where everybody knows someone with a creditcard.
The indie devs can't change it either, boxed copys are expensive. Though games like world of goo do get boxed releases. But those cost 30 euro, so around 40$ i assume.

Edit: Some assholes are downloading the games from the main site.
So they are actually costuing them money. That gets me angry..so much audacity.
Still I think if you can't be a customer anyway, whether you play the game or not doesn't matter.
just don't cause costs to the devs...That does matter, especially taking money away from charity AND indy devs. you might just be curbstomping puppies at that point.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here