Who Would Pirate the One-Cent Humble Indie Bundle?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

What about people who can't pay for things over the internet.

I think it's kind of shitty people do that. However, there is a silver lining to everything. I was looking at the top 10 contributors and to my amazement, someone had given $1000. In fact, all top 10 contributors combined gave almost $4000, which is pretty cool IMO. At least there are someone people willing to go above and beyond.

I bought it for 15$ because I'm a cheap bastard. But my friend bought it for 85$ so... There are some good people in the world :).

Also most pirates are just full of shit with their "I'm poor and I can't afford games, that's the only reason why I don't play them"... FFS! Kids in Africa are really fuc*ing poor and most of them never stole a thing in their life. So don't give me shit about "I can't afford it that's why I pirate it", games are not food or water. You don't need them to live, so if you can't afford it THAN YOU JUST DON'T HAVE IT!
What's so hard to understand about this? Only situation in which I might accept downloading a game is:

A) When it's freeware
B) When it's so old it's unreachable by any means of retail or electrical purchase.

AND ONLY THEN.

LiquidGrape:
I buy all my indie titles at full price.
Moral high ground, y'all.

Seriously though, piracy on this level is perpetrated only by the very lowest common denominator. We proper internet folks shun them.

This ^^ Right now I think that the indie developers are the only ones that actually deserve my monies. And since this was so awesome, I bought all these games again, this time instead donating their full cost to charity and giving my wonderful friends a chance to love the indie gaming crowd. =D GO INDIE GAMES AND THEIR AWESOME COMPANIES!

Andy Chalk:

John Funk:
Hmm. Wow, it's hard to believe that pirates would be this unprincipled. Man, it's almost like the rationalizations that pirates use for their behavior (DRM, price, etc) are actually just flimsy pretenses to get stuff for free. Can you possibly imagine that?!

I cannot believe this. I just... I can't believe you're even suggesting such a thing. The thought that there isn't some high-minded principle, some dedication to a higher justice, behind piracy? Scandalous!

Actually, I just had to check, and apparently even those who you call "jerks" seem to have some morals. I might even go as far as to say it probably even generated sales overall, cause most of the places contain a link to the site and a clear suggestion to get the pack.

On a torrentsite with only about 50 people having downloaded the pack I found these comments by a Mod

Edit: Note: This comment was in response to about a dozen comments that I removed above (and more below)

This is a site that hosts torrents for games we don't allow or disallow a torrent based on price or availability of games. If you are against the torrenting of these games then don't download them. This is not the place for ethics of piracy debates or rants.

I've already said it once, I'll say it again, this is a site that offers torrents for games and we do not/will not ban a game from being uploaded here because it's somehow deemed "evil/bad" to pirate from the makers of said game. Stop reporting this torrent, it does not violate any site rules. If you want to discuss the issue of pirate ethics then do so in the forums not in the torrent comments.
I removed about 90 comments from this torrent. Please post comments regarding the games, and not about the payment or lack thereof.

Searches via Google for "Humble Bundle torrent" and checking out several of the results (some via Cache) revealed similar results.

And most of the Comments in this newspost here (been posted above): http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-when-even-a-penny-is-too-much-100510/ also coincide, with one guy even claiming to having paid 100$.

GiantRedButton:
Note that only people with credit cards can purchase the bundle.
For some kids its simply easier to download it from somewhere else than steal there moms credit card, which are quite rare in some countries.
I'm sure there are some hard workarounds, but those are rather...hard.
More important, what a great deal, alot more interesting than the piracy discussion so thanks for that info
too :D
I'll try to buy it really hard, but note that i don't have a credit card. I'll edit the results.
Maybe the pirates had no other possible option then to pirate.
Edit: Up to now, no possibilty to buy the games. Has anyone an idea to cirumvent the creditcard requirement?
In germany 22.7% of people own a credit card, none of the in my family or me.
So i can't pay for it even if i wan't to.
I guess thats the reason then, the pirates CAN'T buy the bundle, they aren't cheapskates.

Actually, you only need a bank account.

Low Key:
I think it's kind of shitty people do that. However, there is a silver lining to everything. I was looking at the top 10 contributors and to my amazement, someone had given $1000. In fact, all top 10 contributors combined gave almost $4000, which is pretty cool IMO. At least there are someone people willing to go above and beyond.

But Pirates don't pay 1 cent and everyone loses their shit.

The developers lost out of ~250 bucks from Pirates. Wow. What total scum.

John Funk:

dogstile:

John Funk:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "ungrateful, self-entitled dicks," that's who.

Hmm. Wow, it's hard to believe that pirates would be this unprincipled. Man, it's almost like the rationalizations that pirates use for their behavior (DRM, price, etc) are actually just flimsy pretenses to get stuff for free. Can you possibly imagine that?!

Most of my pirate asshole friends don't have a credit card.

So... get a friend to do it, and pay them back? Use paypal? Don't acquire the damn games?

It really blows my mind that pirates don't seem to have a concept of "If you can't afford it, you don't get to have it."

they will never realize. :(

MugenHunter:
What about people who can't pay for things over the internet.

This, I couldn't afford a credit card if I wanted one, and that won't be for a while yet ^^' All the same, I'd mail a penny in if I could. Won't pirate the pack of course, don't hold with that kind of thing.

I decided to pay $1 for the pack and it is awesome. I fail to see why anyone would pirate something you can get for a cent, other than them being cheap, morally bankrupt gits. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play some World of Goo.

Not everyone has to know about this deal. It's not like people who usually pirate wander around looking for deals. I guess most people would pay a dollar or two, if they knew about this deal, but some just don't know about it. They just find a bunch of games on a sharing site, so they download it.

You know, I know a bunch of people who pay for RapidShare accounts, so it's not like they're not willing to pay if the price is reasonable.

Also, it's easier to click a link and download, then make an online payment. Especially if one already doesn't have a PayPal account.

If I would, I could. Only problem is that I only use my credit card for die hard emergencies. Way too many people have been screwed over by those.

I've pirated before and even I had the decency to pay >:c

It's the principle of lying, stealing and cheating because you like doing it.

I would like to offer the theory that the potentially nearly nonexistent price doesn't help with the piracy issue. I could imagine someone who hasn't memorised their card info thinking "Where the hell's my wallet? Ah, they won't miss a penny anyway" *raises the jolly roger*.

Even with my horrendus broken budget due to being a NEET, I'd be able to afford 0.01$ without problems at all. But some people just go overboard and can't stop themselves I suppose..

John Funk:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "ungrateful, self-entitled dicks," that's who.

Actually, this friend of mine is a pirate, he thinks these guys are doing a great thing and deserve recognition.

This friend of mine is going to make a donation of $10 to the site, that should make up for about 10,000 of the pirated copies.

He also thinks that it's horrible that these people are not only pirating a game with no intrusive DRM that is so reasonably priced that it nearly physically hurts, but are using the sites own bandwidth to do it. What a bunch of pricks. But he wants everyone to know that those flimsy pretenses are real reasons, and it's wrong to blanket judge a group of people for the actions of a few.

Mind you, this is just a friend of mine.

... uhm, people without a credit card, i guess (like others have already said). I for one don't have one. But this is the first time i've heard of this indie bundle thing, and i'm not really interested. So i won't pirate it anyway.

Also, this:

Sgt. Sykes:
Not everyone has to know about this deal. It's not like people who usually pirate wander around looking for deals. I guess most people would pay a dollar or two, if they knew about this deal, but some just don't know about it. They just find a bunch of games on a sharing site, so they download it.

John Funk:

Yeah, we should reward most game developers for being so 'principled' and caring about the consumers as much as they *kaching* do. IMO pirating should be fine for the shitty games that come out, I'm so sick of the gaming industry smearing so much shit in between the already scarce gems out there.

An overreaction, sure... Hypocritical when you consider that only non-imaginative games are profitable because of pirating, sure... but I'm getting sick of rewarding people who seem to aim at disappointing me.

So a quarter of the people who get this game go out of their way to be a dick...

This is why we can't have nice things.

I hazard that its about laziness and convenience. Why go to another website when you already have the torrent site loaded on the screen, queuing up everything you need?

John Funk:

Asehujiko:

John Funk:

So... get a friend to do it, and pay them back?

Perhaps that's exactly what they did? Seeing as how Rosen listed that as one of the reasons for the numbers being as they are?

You seem to be completely fixated on the assumption that every missing sale is a pirate laughing at them behind his/her keyboard and not any of the multiple other causes mentioned.

I see where you're coming from but that's not what I meant, really.

I'm perfectly aware that there are people who aren't exactly "pirates" getting this game for free. But you're horribly naive if you don't think that of those 25% unpaid downloads, a good number of them ARE pirates.

How does one pirate directly from the site anyway? I am not asking methodology or how to do it, so don't flip a s--t people, all I'm saying is that I always thought it worked something like this:

1.) A guy downloads it or rips from disc
2.) Guy posts it online with a torrent file
3.) People get access to the file and download it using the torrent file

How do pirates manage to actually download it from the developers site without paying for it instead of filesharing amongst eachother?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone would attempt the ridiculously hard (if not impossible) task of trying to hack the site in order to save a penny.

How do you know they knew they could get the bundle cheap? Maybe they just frequent game forums or torrent sites and just see a post that you can get all these games easy and free, without even knowing you could have got them easy and cheap?

Kurokami:

John Funk:

Yeah, we should reward most game developers for being so 'principled' and caring about the consumers as much as they *kaching* do. IMO pirating should be fine for the shitty games that come out, I'm so sick of the gaming industry smearing so much shit in between the already scarce gems out there.

An overreaction, sure... Hypocritical when you consider that only non-imaginative games are profitable because of pirating, sure... but I'm getting sick of rewarding people who seem to aim at disappointing me.

If you don't like it don't buy it, but don't assume all game companies are rolling in dough and don't care about their customers. If you care enough to pirate it, it's not shit, so your argument doesn't really make sense.

Kurokami:

John Funk:

Yes, a team of dozens of people makes something their life work for two years with the aim of delivering a disappointing project. They're going out of their way to make a mediocre game. They don't want to make a good game, no, not at all.

Do you have any idea how absolutely asinine that sounds? Pirating is never justified, whether it's God of War 3 or goddamn Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. If you don't pay for something you should not get to play it.

danpascooch:

John Funk:

Asehujiko:

John Funk:

So... get a friend to do it, and pay them back?

Perhaps that's exactly what they did? Seeing as how Rosen listed that as one of the reasons for the numbers being as they are?

You seem to be completely fixated on the assumption that every missing sale is a pirate laughing at them behind his/her keyboard and not any of the multiple other causes mentioned.

I see where you're coming from but that's not what I meant, really.

I'm perfectly aware that there are people who aren't exactly "pirates" getting this game for free. But you're horribly naive if you don't think that of those 25% unpaid downloads, a good number of them ARE pirates.

How does one pirate directly from the site anyway? I am not asking methodology or how to do it, so don't flip a s--t people, all I'm saying is that I always thought it worked something like this:

1.) A guy downloads it or rips from disc
2.) Guy posts it online with a torrent file
3.) People get access to the file and download it using the torrent file

How do pirates manage to actually download it from the developers site without paying for it instead of filesharing amongst eachother?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone would attempt the ridiculously hard (if not impossible) task of trying to hack the site in order to save a penny.

When you order it they just give you a link to the download page (which is associated with a key). However, you could share that link with anyone and they would easily be able to download the games.

I.. don't understand, is the UK the only country with Debit Cards? Seriously?
When I was 16 I asked for a Debit Card from my bank and got my Visa card in 2 days, works exactly the same as a credit card, but without the middle man.. also, you can link your bank account directly to paypal if you're under 16 I think, so there really isn't any excuse to pirate this unless.. you know.. you're a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling.

John Funk:

Kurokami:

John Funk:

Yes, a team of dozens of people makes something their life work for two years with the aim of delivering a disappointing project. They're going out of their way to make a mediocre game. They don't want to make a good game, no, not at all.

Do you have any idea how absolutely asinine that sounds? Pirating is never justified, whether it's God of War 3 or goddamn Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. If you don't pay for something you should not get to play it.

I don't take the position that there are no reasons for anyone to ever pirate, but this viewpoint of game developers being a bunch of rich bastards who will milk you for whatever you worth while giving you nothing in return is just wrong, and it bothers me that that opinion seems to be growing in popularity.

John Funk:

Or people who want to try it before they buy it. Or people who already own the games. X pirated copies does not translate to X lost sales, the courts have even recognized that.

I thought about doing the .01 thing (which is actually a net loss after the Paypal fee), but decided to do $5 when I noticed the EFF was on the list of charities.

I hate spending money online more than I hate to spend money. $.01 for an online purchase may as well be $20 at a store, because I don't have a credit or debit card and don't have a Paypal account. If I did get this bundle, I would certainly get it for $0.00, and I would feel justified since the creators make virtually the same as if I had given them one cent.

danpascooch:

Kurokami:

John Funk:

If you don't like it don't buy it, but don't assume all game companies are rolling in dough and don't care about their customers. If you care enough to pirate it, it's not shit, so your argument doesn't really make sense.

You've never expected anything from a game that didn't come even close to deliver? Spore? Borderlands? I wish I hadn't paid for the empty promises, I did though.

I think downloading games is fine so long as you pay for those who earn it, in a perfect world that is. It won't happen in reality.

Wow...
Whats next?
people start pirating maple story?

Kurokami:

danpascooch:

Kurokami:

John Funk:

You've never expected anything from a game that didn't come even close to deliver? Spore? Borderlands? I wish I hadn't paid for the empty promises, I did though.

I think downloading games is fine so long as you pay for those who earn it, in a perfect world that is. It won't happen in reality.

You used the word "most" that's a big difference from "never ever has ONE not delivered"?

Don't backpedal

John Funk:

Kurokami:

John Funk:

Oh, and also, everybody knows that if you see a physical copy of "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" you enact protocol 41, in which you purchase it no matter the cost and then burn it in fire until only ash and melted plastic remains. One day we shall be free of that game!! :P

danpascooch:

There server isn't protected. If you'd actually read the blog post you'd see them mention that and the emails they'd gotten from legitimate buyers about it being easier that way.

I believe that the 25% are pirates in the same way that I believe that pirates took down the Assassin's Creed 2 servers down. It's hard to tell why a particular bit of network traffic occurs, so I take this factoid with a spoonful of salt.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here