Halo 2: The Last Spartan Falls

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Halo 2: The Last Spartan Falls

After an epic, month-long battle that could not be won, the last Spartan has left Halo 2.

Microsoft announced in early February that it was dropping online support for original Xbox consoles and games, a decision which, given the system's age, appeared on the surface to be of little consequence. But nobody stopped to think about the Halo 2 fans who still played online and who decided to use the shutdown as an opportunity to show the world what "die hard" really means.

The plug was pulled on April 15 but a handful of players defied the inevitable by refusing to disconnect. They just kept on playing. A week after the service went dark, there were at least 24 players left; by May 3, their numbers had been whittled down to five and even Microsoft, the purported villain of the piece, was rooting for them.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. As of yesterday, only two Spartans remained standing: Agent Windex and Apache N4SIR. Then, at 7:21 EDT, Agent Windex delivered the news. "I just got kicked off guys," he wrote on Bungie's Halo 2 forum. "Good job Apache, you're the last one."

Apache continued to play the game alone ("I drive the Warty off some mad hills and jumps!") until he too was "forcefully removed" from the Halo 2 servers at 1:58 EST on May 11. "I want to thank the whole Bungie team for an awesome ongoing series and what seems to be a great Reach game," he wrote in a "salute" to the game. He said disagreed with Microsoft's decision to end support for the game but thanked it anyway for "publishing and supporting Bungie and the Halo games we truly love."

Well played, ladies and gentlemen. Well played indeed.

Well... a month? He lasted a long time.
Well done, I suppose.
And as the saying goes:
"All good things come to an end".

Edit:

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

What?

That seemed a bit abrupt from Onyx, but never mind.

Does the PC version not still run? Couldn't those who really really want to play Halo 2 simply migrate to the PC version?

Well those fans are certainty, um... dedicated to say the least.

Still, Halo 2 was fun, and I was sad to see it go. Granted I'm not so sure why so many people seem impressed that it lasted 5 years when plenty of PC games last twice as long, and are still going.

But really, PC fanboyism aside, Halo 2 was fun, and where I met many of my current xbox live friends. I have fond memories. And will always remember it. Well that and many superjumps and glitches, but thats another story for another time.

As much as I agree with Onyx in regards to respecting the developer Publisher's wishes, that was pretty epic on their regard. And the one guy will forever be the last official Halo 2 XBox Live player.

jebussaves88:
That seemed a bit abrupt from Onyx, but never mind.

Does the PC version not still run? Couldn't those who really really want to play Halo 2 simply migrate to the PC version?

It does, and people still play it, and iirc you can still use game pads with it, seems like a obvious jump to make.

I salute these people for trying to continue to play a game they loved, *salutes*.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

It takes one to know one....so I guess you would be the king of that.

I salute what they did. Sad to see such an excellent game go.....but it will not die....I can promise you that.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

I know from experience that those kinds of coments always bite you on the ass. I'd edit that ASAP, before everyone on the Escapist flames you.

OT: It was a good run guys, but Halo 3 is still there.

I think they need a pat on the back. I'll miss Halo 2 online games do to me spending a TON of time playing with lots of friends my last year of high school. To the people who pulled this of for such a long time, I salute you!

And now its finally over, well done to the dedicated players. You guys are true Halo fans.

Now they can join us and play the Reach beta.

I still do not understand why not just make it a 2-3$ subscription to support Xbox games I mean good god how hard is it to program a server to switch to more bandwidth for 360 games and less for old games when bandwidth gets tight....

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks. These aren't real fans. Real fans would have respected the wishes of the developer.

You mean real fans can't question or criticize what developers do? Holy fck man we already have a world of zombie consumers who support brands and fads over quality.... we need less walking corpses and more critical thinking half wits....I may be only a quarter wit who think he can can do critical thinking but sheeesshhhhh....
==============
Back to topic

I still do not understand why not just make it a 2-3$ subscription to support Xbox games I mean good god how hard is it to program a server to switch to more bandwidth for 360 games and less for old games when bandwidth gets tight.... they can do this with older 360 titles as well.......if they do not do it already....

Ive said it before and ill say it again, they should have let it die with honor, but insted they put it on life support and made it into a shame.

I found this hilarious. You don't get gamers doing things like this often, so let them have their fun. It was worth it for the lulz.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

Kind of a douchy statement, Y'know?

Good for them. I can't relate, but /salute nonetheless. It's always cool to make a show for the things you love.

Despite what Onyx seems to think.

I love this story despite hating halo.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

Bad show man, you never wanted to just keep something alive because you loved it?

This is nice and all, but they could buy a PC capable of running Halo 2 for a very reasonable price. Are they really so dead set against keyboard/mouse controls that they won't join the PC communities that I would assume are still playing this game?

Congratulations. This accounts for...nothing. Absolutely nothing. I wouldn't exactly call this the kind of story you tell your grand-kids about.

"Back in my day, we fought to hold our place. And we stood our ground proudly... Then my mom told me I needed to clean my room and get a job."

I'm no fan of Halo, but I'm certainly a fan of dedication to a cause that one believes in.

If this aint an example of that, then I don't know what is.

Yeah, my thoughts on this have been made abundantly clear, but I think Graham Stark said it best

'turning what should have been a triumphant last hurrah into a prolonged death rattle.'

Or words to that effect.

And I agree with Onyx, as if that weren't also very very clear by now.

Now *Raises flame shield* go ahead, let the hatred commence.

I never liked any of the Halo games, but I gotta admit that's pretty cool.

What's more interesting though, is that his Xbox went a whole month without burning a whole through his floor, or just straight up failing. Impressive.

Also, Onyx, I don't know you here on the forums, but that's a pretty fucking shitty comment man.

I agree that it was nice to see people so dedicated to something they clearly enjoyed. If my Xbox hadn't been on the fritz the last couple of years, I might have been tempted to join. But it has developed a nasty personality disorder in which it likes to restart itself at random, so I certainly wouldn't have been the last hold-out. Perhaps they will move on to the Halo 2 PC version and keep hope alive!

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Buncha pricks.

I just hate this shit. If the servers are closing, just let them close. I can only imagine the hell that will be unleashed when the CoD4 servers are shut down.

There's no need to be so aggressive about it. How were they hurting you by just wanting to hold on to a game they loved?

That...okay, actually, I find that to be oddly cool.

MelasZepheos:
Yeah, my thoughts on this have been made abundantly clear, but I think Graham Stark said it best

'turning what should have been a triumphant last hurrah into a prolonged death rattle.'

That's one way to see it, I suppose. To me, it sounds more like turning an unceremonious drop into a prolonged last stand, but to each their own.

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Fucking pricks.

EDIT: I just hate this shit. If the servers are closing, just let them close. I can only imagine the hell that will be unleashed when the CoD4 servers are shut down.

Cod4 has dedicated servers, so as long as someone is willing to host it won't every go away.

I thought halo 3 vastly improved over halo 2, even though I don't really care for either. I just want to see how Reach goes, if they can make it a great game like the original I'm down. the original Halo was awesome and defined the xbox as a viable platform for games. Without Halo 1 the xbox never would have really taken off I don't think, even though most people have never played it and skipped straight to Halo 2

I hate halo but this story warms my cold black void where my heart used to be. I can say I've never been dedicated to anything as much as these guys were, while I may dislike your game you guys are cool in my book *salute*

JEBWrench:
And the one guy will forever be the last official Halo 2 XBox Live player.

Is there an achievement for that? :p

Man...this makes me a little sad..

But also happy.
They were cool fans

Onyx Oblivion:
Finally. Buncha pricks.

I just hate this shit. If the servers are closing, just let them close. I can only imagine the hell that will be unleashed when the CoD4 servers are shut down.

Wow, what's your damage? The damn company even salutes them and you still shit on them? Yeah, those pricks, having a dedicated tribute to a game they loved, and then thanking Microsoft for the experience.

MelasZepheos:

So you think it would have been more triumphant for everyone to just sign off instead of a few people testing the limits of how far they could go for a game they loved against all odds? Meh, fair enough, but in the words of the great Lebowski: "That's just, like, your opinion man." :)

..........talk about commitment issues.

This makes me a little sad despite the fact i havent played Halo 2 for ages!

And, finally it comes to an end...well, they fought well and had a good time. Its nice to see that it went peacefully and all had fun involved.

Farewell Halo 2

I may not have an xbox or any of the halo games but this sort of thing just makes me smile + I pride myself on being what you'd call a hard-core RTS gamer when I play games (willing to play as long as it takes!). Hard-core gamers of all sorts get my respect and it doesn't get more hard-core than this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here