Humble Indie Bundle Breaks a Million Bucks

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Humble Indie Bundle Breaks a Million Bucks

The Humble Indie Bundle "Pay What You Want" sale has brought in over $1 million in just seven days, including $350,000 for charity, and now four of the games in the bundle are going open source as a way of saying thanks.

The Humble Indie Bundle is a smashing good deal: Six top-quality games from independent developers for the low, low price of whatever you feel like paying. It was a little disheartening to learn that even with the opportunity to pay a tiny amount and shoot it all to charity, some people still insisted on piracy, but as Wolfire Games revealed yesterday, all in all the sale went over not too badly.

"The Humble Indie Bundle experiment has been a massive success beyond our craziest expectations," the studio said. "In just over seven days, 124,072 generous contributors have put down an incredible $1,135,206. Of this, contributors chose to allocate 30.93 percent to charity: $351,094 for the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Child's Play Charity."

In response, four of the five games in the bundle - Aquaria, Gish, Lugara HD and Penumbra Overture - are transitioning to open source. "We are preparing the sources right now and will be releasing them ASAP. We spent last night preparing Lugaru and it is available now," Wolfire said. "The code is still a little rough (no Visual Studio project yet, for instance) but hopefully with the help of the community we can rapidly make it more accessible to everyone."

"The games will be free as in 'free speech,' not as in 'free beer,'" the studio noted. "It is the underlying code that will be made available to everyone."

Nothing warms my heart like a happy ending to a good story. And this one's not over just yet: The Humble Indie Bundle "Pay What You Want" sale is still ongoing at wolfire.com/humble.

I just bought the pack. I put down 5 dollars. I felt bad paying just a penny for the whole thing, so I figured a dollar a game was the way to go.

Oh sweet!

I played the demo for gish and loved it, so buying this. =D

A whole cent of that was mine.

I gave $10 to them.

1 cent just makes me feel like an ass :P

See, cheap is good! If only people would take note.

And shame on those pirating it.

Irridium:
I gave $10 to them.

1 cent just makes me feel like an ass :P

That's how they want you to feel! You have been mind controlled!

In all seriousness though if I didn't have 6000000 games on my backlog to play I'd buy this for maybe $5-10.

I paid $20 and I already bought World of Goo on both PC and Wii. Gave 10 to Devs and 5 to each charity. BTW this is the first money I spent on a PC game since the original STALKER. No DRM, independent publishers, and a good attitude gets my money.

I'm excited about Penumbra, I heard it was actually a scary game.

For all the people paying down $0.01, I was raised to believe its ruder to leave a tip consisting of loose change or a penny than to not leave a tip at all.

If you're such a retarded dick as to think paying $0.01 for five games is a good thing, just fucking pirate it and be less of a dick?

Outlaw Torn:
A whole cent of that was mine.

I judge you...

In any case, its nice to know that I ended up paying more or less the average (certainly more than the average windows user...). More importantly though, its good to see the the games becoming open source. I can't wait to see how the Penumbra engine could be used outside the horror genre, which frictional games seems to excel in.

To me, this is what the PC platform should be about. Flexibility and freedom to both distribute in a new way and allow others to alter the game and encourage more innovation. Not that innovation is lacking on the consoles, just that control lies too far away from the community.

And somebody still whined about people pirating it just a few days ago.

Didn't buy the thing myself, yet, although I do own Gish for hell knows how long... I think I first got my hands on that game through my grandfather in like 2003, and it's still on my computer.

It's nice to know that I helped, even if it was just slightly. But then I have recommended it to a few people, so that makes me feel good...

Hopeless Bastard:
For all the people paying down $0.01, I was raised to believe its ruder to leave a tip consisting of loose change or a penny than to not leave a tip at all.

If you're such a retarded dick as to think paying $0.01 for five games is a good thing, just fucking pirate it and be less of a dick?

So I assume you were also raised to believe that it's your responsibility to judge everyone, by your own hideous standards at that?

Flexible prices are flexible. If they didn't expect some people to pay 1 cent, they wouldn't have made it, you know, so flexible. Don't hate the players, hate the game, is what I'm saying.

Hopeless Bastard:

Meanwhile, logic kicks in and says that paying for it, even a little, is better than stealing.

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:

So I assume you were also raised to believe that it's your responsibility to judge everyone, by your own hideous standards at that?

Flexible prices are flexible. If they didn't expect some people to pay 1 cent, they wouldn't have made it, you know, so flexible. Don't hate the players, hate the game, is what I'm saying.

What I'm saying, is exploiting the system just make you a dick. Its not the game's fault your a dick. Its your fault for being a dick.

Georgie_Leech:

Hopeless Bastard:

Meanwhile, logic kicks in and says that paying for it, even a little, is better than stealing.

Piracy isn't stealing, as stealing requires you actually deprive someone of something.

Really happy for these guys! Great to see (aside from Priacy) its making so much!

Glad I put my money in too!

Hopeless Bastard:

No because thats illegal.

Paying 0.01 is not

Hopeless Bastard:

Billion Backs:

Hopeless Bastard:

What I'm saying, is exploiting the system just make you a dick. Its not the game's fault your a dick. Its your fault for being a dick.

Georgie_Leech:

Hopeless Bastard:

Piracy isn't stealing, as stealing requires you actually deprive someone of something.

It's not exploiting, it's using the system for the reasons it was created in the first place.

In short, nobody gives a fuck how you were raised. The people who payed 0.01$ didn't do anything wrong by any means, they were presented with a choice to make a variable payment (or not make it at all, considering piracy) and they payed for it. There's no shame in that.

That's a heart warming piece of info! It shows that true taste is far from dead.

haha man if I was a PC gamer I'd definitely pay a good amount. great cause and idea here =]

but gosh, pirating still...bleh

get some Internet Navy Seal snipers out here lol

Hopeless Bastard:

Intellectual theft. Look it up. Not depriving, but still a theft and a crime.

Paid $2, I already finished WoG, but I can't say no to 4 great-looking games and one crappy-looking (the Open Source one - ugh). And no DRM, I approve of this.

Does anyone know if Europeans get in on this? (I was assuming not since all the prices were in dollars and everything)

Aeshi:
Does anyone know if Europeans get in on this? (I was assuming not since all the prices were in dollars and everything)

I'm from the UK and I got them so yes it should be.

I suggest you get them, it really is worth it, no matter what price you pay.

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Paying 0.01 is not

Doesn't make you any less of a dick.

Billion Backs:
It's not exploiting, it's using the system for the reasons it was created in the first place.

The people who payed 0.01$ didn't do anything wrong by any means, they were presented with a choice to make a variable payment (or not make it at all, considering piracy) and they payed for it. There's no shame in that.

You make something, you ask someone how much they think it's worth. They say "one cent," are you overjoyed or do you think they're a stupid dick?

"hurr derr i r supr smar cuz dey r let me pay wut i want i pay $0.01 cuz i smar!!" is what I'm saying/seeing here.

Well, one of the five games is, at least. My votes goes to Aquaria.

Glad they made so much money.

I paid $1, because I already owned World of Goo and Aquaria.

Hopeless Bastard:
Rant

Look, I was offered the chance to get 5 great games for any price I wanted, I picked to pay the lowest price.

It wasn't because I don't want to support the developers, its because I can't afford to spend say,$10 on something I can get for $0.01.

Get over yourself.

Not surprising considering someone paid $1000 for it, seriously look at the top donators list.

I still can't pay for this, so i'd still have to ask for someone to donate a cent for me and give me the download link.

Really sucks

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:
Rant

Look, I was offered the chance to get 5 great games for any price I wanted, I picked to pay the lowest price.

It wasn't because I don't want to support the developers, its because I can't afford to spend say,$10 on something I can get for $0.01.

Get over yourself.

You could have just gotten it for free and actually been less of a dick.

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Paying 0.01 is not

I aggree with you.
Still think about it.
If you pay 0.01 cent, they don't get any of it because of processing fees. But they have to pay bandwith fees.
If you pirate it, its better for them because they don't loose money.
They do loose money when you pay 0.01 cent.
Bought it now for (only) 7 bucks. so below average so look whos talking :D

Good for them!
I gave a generous $10 per pack and I got 6, one for me and and a couple friends.

Childrens charities are my soft spot, I can't help but support Childs Play.

I paid 50 cents for 2 codes

was going to pay 1 cent, but amazon wouldn't allow it.

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Paying 0.01 is not

Doesn't make you any less of a dick.

Billion Backs:

The people who payed 0.01$ didn't do anything wrong by any means, they were presented with a choice to make a variable payment (or not make it at all, considering piracy) and they payed for it. There's no shame in that.

You make something, you ask someone how much they think it's worth. They say "one cent," are you overjoyed or do you think they're a stupid dick?

"hurr derr i r supr smar cuz dey r let me pay wut i want i pay $0.01 cuz i smar!!" is what I'm saying/seeing here.

From objective point of view - that is, looking at the laws and not some stupid subjective morality, the person who makes the payment of 0.01$ is entirely in the right.

Why do I care how much they think it's worth? They're letting the buyer choose, and the buyer can choose whatever he or she wants. There's no objective value to products, it all depends on the buyer.

If the seller didn't want people to take the advantage, maybe he shouldn't have presented it.

I really am annoyed by people like you who try to guilt trip everyone into submission. It's like the damn fucking charities. No means no, and I couldn't care any less if I couldn't care any less. It's like some kind of forced volunteerism - "suuuure, you don't have to do it! But if you don't, you'll get punished!", the same idea you propose, except perhaps not as harsh as it comes to punishment.

And above all, I'm annoyed at people using "the way I was raised!", "my religion!" and so on as an argument to support their judgement of others. You know the key word in "the way I was raised"? Yes, it's "I". And when it comes to completely legal matters - whether you care about laws or not - using that excuse is just pathetic.

The way I was raised, women shouldn't vote! Hur. I'm immune to criticism! All of you dern commie feminist liberal scum, with your votin' and your empowerment! Hurp.

Yeah, it's a bad comparison and pretty pointless as badly written satire goes.

Certainly going to get it then.Can you download it several times if you have more than one of those OSes?

Hopeless Bastard:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:
Rant

Get over yourself.

You could have just gotten it for free and actually been less of a dick.

You have a point there, but I'm morally against pirating. So fuck you.

GiantRedButton:

Toasty Virus:

Hopeless Bastard:

Paying 0.01 is not

I aggree with you.
Still think about it.
If you pay 0.01 cent, they don't get any of it because of processing fees. But they have to pay bandwith fees.
If you pirate it, its better for them because they don't loose money.
They do loose money when you pay 0.01 cent.
Bought it now for (only) 7 bucks. so below average so look whos talking :D

Yeah I noticed that a little while after I bought it, and I do feel a little bad about paying so little now.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here