Treyarch Boss Hints at Zombies for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Treyarch Boss Hints at Zombies for Call of Duty: Black Ops

Treyarch boss Mark Lamia has dropped a hint that "Zombie Mode," the battle against endless hordes of undead that was so popular in Call of Duty: World at War, may be making a return in Black Ops.

Treyarch's 2008 release Call of Duty: World at War was a dark, gritty FPS portrayal of the Second World War with a not-so-serious twist: Nazi Zombies, a game mode in which players take on endless waves of zombies, either singly or cooperatively, in a desperate battle for survival. It was surprisingly popular, to the point that it was even given a stand-alone translation to the iPhone in late 2009, and Lamia recently hinted to Official PlayStation Magazine that the walking dead might be staging a comeback in Call of Duty: Black Ops.

"We really like the Zombie Mode, and as I mentioned I can't talk about the co-op mode other than to say one of the reasons we love it so much is that it feels like it was a fan adopted mode, made out of passion of a lot of the team members here," he said.

"All I can tell you is we listen to the fanbase," he added. "Those are our consumers, so..."

But would killing these zombies be so much fun if they're not Nazi zombies? Maybe if we're lucky, Treyarch will make them Nazi zombies anyway, hopefully with an appropriately B-movie-flavored explanation for what they're doing in the game. After all, if you're going to do zombies, you might as well do them right. Call of Duty: Black Ops is scheduled for release on November 9.

Source: CVG

This addition would make me a very happy person if I would be so inclined to purchase the game

I was hoping zombies would make it in. I love zombie killing, and seeing as how I missed the first one, I can get a newer one with zombies still :) (if it was implemented)

This addition would be a reason alone to buy the game. I just hope that they don't force you to complete the campagin in order to play it.

No zombies, no purchase for me. Simple.

"I smell something..."
"Is it unoriginality?"
"No, this is way more fucked up."

Would love to see this return! My favourite part of world at war!

There's something refreshing about a company dedicated to dark, gritty, realistic FPS games just saying, "You know what guys? Let's have Nazi zombies"

There better fucking be. All I want for this game is
A) Some awesome zombies to kill
B) An epic conclusion to the SP campaign.

FinalDream:
No zombies, no purchase for me. Simple.

Quoted for truth

My friends and I played through the game, skipping every cutscene, just to reach Nazi Zombies.

AGAIN! *sigh*
I never really warmed upto COD5 zombies so i'm pretty sure not going to enjoy this one.
They need to come up with something original.

If they take out Commando and include Zombies this might be worth purchasing.

I'm getting it just because it's Treyarch. Zombie Mode bored me until the DLC maps made it much better...

As long as there's zombies and they don't blatantly copy MW2's multiplayer I'll definitely get this game.

ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES!
GOD DAMN I LOVE THAT GAME MODE!!!!!!!

*coughs* something more constructive...

Yeah, that's cool! I really hope they do include it, and also give you an AK47 during the game mode. I'll be getting this game regardless, cos I really like Treyarch's CoD games.

I had no intention of buying this. Now that this news has reached my ears, im getting this game if it comes to fluition.

Meh, as long as they focus on making this a drastic improvement over WaW and COD3, I'll be happy, zombie mode or no zombie mode.

if they do include a zombie mode again, i hope for the same quality in the characters you play as, i know its slightly left 4 dead-ish but some of the lines the 4 characters in codwaw say have me in stitches.... "so much death, like eastern front all over again"

OOOOH zombies... KEWL. *breaks out Trench Gun and MG42* BRING IT ON BITCHEZZZZZ!!!

I don't care if there not NAZI zombies, I just want to kill zombies!!! And maybe a zombie campaign, or a continuation of the mini plot in WAW

AkJay:
"I smell something..."
"Is it unoriginality?"

AM I KOOL NAO!?!?

Slaanax:
If they take out Commando and include Zombies this might be worth purchasing.

They've already been noted as saying something along the lines of "we're not fans of commando," and with how many people became fans of zombies, it would be stupid on Treyarch's part for it not to appear.

silverbullet1989:
if they do include a zombie mode again, i hope for the same quality in the characters you play as, i know its slightly left 4 dead-ish but some of the lines the 4 characters in codwaw say have me in stitches.... "so much death, like eastern front all over again"

I'm definitely hoping for another Richtofen-like character, he was hilarious.

Nighthief:
As long as there's zombies and they don't blatantly copy MW2's multiplayer I'll definitely get this game.

One of their quotes when talking with oxm (http://weplaycod.blogspot.com/2010/05/oxm-call-of-duty-black-ops-scans.html) was that they were taking creative risks, including one single player mission that, according to OXM, was more like an RTS, but I'm guessing that the main portion of the game, the infantry combat, will still feel have the basic CoD feel.

CAW4:

AkJay:
"I smell something..."
"Is it unoriginality?"

AM I KOOL NAO!?!?

YA AM I GUISE!?!? I HOPE I KOOL NOW LOLZ!!!111one

For mod purposes, you are a... bad person, but there aint no rage like internet rage.

SAM!

I've probably played more Nazi Zombies multiplayer then other CoD3-5 multiplayer modes combined. Usually 2 player split screen or system link with @encaen, but we still get to round 30-40 in Der Riese on a regular basis (assuming I don't do something stupid and die on round 2). :)

If only they'd release the 4th map...

Of course they're reusing the idea! At the end of the day, the majority of players were playing Zombie Mode, not the multiplayer. And the map packs were almost exclusively dedicated to the Zombie Mode. I'd be more surprised if they DIDN'T decide to use Zombies again. And in the thick jungles of 'Nam, with that high grass and stuff? Sounds like a good theater for a Zombie Mode.

sure it would

Go buy Killing Floor.

Psh. Zombies. That's their answer to everything. Not saying the answer is WRONG mind you...

Nice, but you know what's more awesome than nazi zombies? No? Vulcan zombies from Star Trek: Enterprise.

Yeah.

Zombies was mind numbingly fun, mainly in it's simplicity, hopefully they bring it bacl/

CAW4:

Nighthief:

One of their quotes when talking with oxm (http://weplaycod.blogspot.com/2010/05/oxm-call-of-duty-black-ops-scans.html) was that they were taking creative risks, including one single player mission that, according to OXM, was more like an RTS, but I'm guessing that the main portion of the game, the infantry combat, will still feel have the basic CoD feel.

RTS????? Sounds interesting. If they have a good campaign and a zombie mode this game should be good. I wouldn't be surprised though if at a 25 kill streak you get a "Tactical Napalm Strike" or "Black Hawk Gunner" at 11.

WaW wouldn't have been nearly as memorable had it not been for the Nazi Zombies, so it was kinda obvious they'd bring them back. Keeping fingers crossed they remain Nazis :)

Well with this you get zombies, but you also get to kill them with C4, silenced HK's, and RPG's. Where can you go wrong?

I bought Call of duty WaW BECAUSE of zombies.

I hope they have zombies :o

Another zombie mode would only interest me if they make the beginning guns worth half a damn and upgrade my body from origami paper to actually being able to take a hit or two more before I fall down and cry like a sissy.

Thank god, because frankly Nazi zombies was the only reason I purchased WaW

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or