Capcom Producer: Japanese Industry Has No "Hope in Hell"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Producer: Japanese Industry Has No "Hope in Hell"

Jun Takeuchi, producer of Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, thinks that his native games industry needs to evolve or perish.

Jun Takeuchi may have just shipped a game, but the Capcom producer had some harsh words for his countrymen. When games mag Xbox World 360 asked Takeuchi if he thought the Japanese industry could catch up to an increasingly-dominant Western development scene, the RE5 boss gave a grim answer.

"If the Japanese games industry doesn't evolve and simply maintains its current status quo, I really don't think we have a hope in hell," said Takeuchi. "Drastically innovative ideas are needed - and quickly - to equal or exceed the Western games industry."

This seems to echo remarks made by fellow Capcom star Keiji Inafune, who at last year's Tokyo Game Show said he thought the Japanese games industry was "finished": "Personally when I looked around [at] all the different games at the TGS floor ... I said 'Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished.'"

One has to wonder if Takeuchi is also pointing fingers at himself: Regardless of what you want to say about quality, neither Resident Evil 5 nor Lost Planet 2 were particularly "innovative."

(CVG)

They seem to be doing just fine to me.

There are plenty of little emo kids in the world who still play the shit out of JRPGs.

John Funk:

One has to wonder if Takeuchi is also pointing fingers at himself: Regardless of what you want to say about quality, neither Resident Evil 5 nor Lost Planet 2 were particularly "innovative."

In his defense, those titles are at least a step on the right direction.They may not be the most unique or classic titles but they are radically different from the stuff that the island usually churns out!

OT: Evolution cant be too bad? What wrong ever came from evolving?

That's a pretty grim view. The Japanese gaming industry will do fine as long as Japanese gamers don't demand new ideas, Japan is after all the largest consumer of Japanese games...

First innovation Capcom needs to learn is moving AND shooting. RE5 isn't a horror game anymore, no matter how bad they try to make the controls, so they might as well just streamline the damn thing already, and let me aim while moving.

I will admit that the Japanese industry is not exactly movie forward, but I think JRPGs are still a valid genre, not aged and outdated. I would hate to see them die.

They'll be fine as long as they have pokemon.

Julianking93:

There are plenty of little emo kids in the world who still play the shit out of JRPGs.

I think the same but it MUST look better from this side of the pond, we've been hearing this from a lot of people lately and keep in mind that Square, Konami, Nintendo and Capcom consider themselves International Studios, not specifically Japanese Studios hence "they" don't count in the "Japanese Game Industry is Dying" discussion.

I'm thinking the general assertion of "massive innovation needed" comes from the fact that many Core Japanese Devs are bound by old fashioned ideas about how to make a game (JRPG's for example) and refuse to move on from concepts and ideas that are so 1999. As well many Japanese Devs have had trouble adapting to Next-Gen technology and have been putting out substandard products or games for old systems rather than moving into the new gen.

In some ways it's true. The market is so saturated with games that are unlike anything that comes out of Japan, that it has almost become a niche appeal. 15-20 years ago, almost the opposite could be said. I guess their "style" is just not what's popular.

It's interesting that capcom says that.
I think they are the only ones who get it right, they even managed to revive the 2d fighters and did a great pc version of SF4.
Thats right a japanese developrer that can code or pc.
The jrpgs are pretty stagnant, really annoys me because I used to be a big fan, but i have a rather big backlog, for example ff9 :)

Well, it looks like Capcom was trying to get in on the "Westernization" of video games with Lost Planet 2, but failed horribly.

Yeah... just stick to what you do, it's not that bad.

May I bring Metal Gear to the table?

Calumon: Can I bring Demons Souls?

Creating too many games starring overly angsty protagonists has started having quite the effect on Japan's elite in the gaming industry, wouldn't you say?

I'm quite afraid what's going to happen with the western gaming industry now...

They keep saying it but there is little visible change.

Although his words echo those of SE nit too long ago

Gaijin Smash - anytime a Westerner exerts inherent dominance over the Japanese people.

I believe it has finally been acknowledged. The Japanese people have shuffled their feet long enough and their RPGs have been shown lacking. With sheer will and ingenuity, we have broken their will.

Gaijin Smash!

Julianking93:

Right, what I'm about to say might come off as a bit jerkish. Do note that it isn't meant to be like that.

Is there a reason you rage on emo's so much? I've seen, and heard, you're quick to call them out.

SamuelT:

Julianking93:

Right, what I'm about to say might come off as a bit jerkish. Do note that it isn't meant to be like that.

Is there a reason you rage on emo's so much? I've seen, and heard, you're quick to call them out.

I didn't think I did it that much.

I don't rage on them though, I just make fun of them. There's a difference :D

If I raged about them, I would be legitimately pissed off at the very existence of emo kids. I just think it's funny that there are these whiny little kids who have perfectly good lives, yet sit around complaining about how they only feel pain and misery.

Final Fantasy 13 was a flop. Fanboys and first-time people admitted to this.

JRPG's lack

Julianking93:

SamuelT:

Julianking93:

Yes, we make fun of men using neko displays where it isn't sure if they are male or female...Ohwait.

God you trolls are annoying, you don't like JRPGs, we get it, you obsess over their flaws and insult those who play them more then a homophobic redneck before they come out of the closet.

Go back to your counsels and play the games you do like, don't feel the need to insult the ones we like.

SamuelT:

Julianking93:

I'm going to go ahead and answer this for myself, because emos are the most annoying group to kids you will ever run into, all they do is sit around and complain about their completely average life being so horrible and they have probably never had something all that bad happen to them, that and they wear girl pants, and there is just something wrong with that. Also being "nonconformist" by wearing all black and shopping at hot topic isn't nonconformist, it's just conformist to a different group.

Straying Bullet:
Final Fantasy 13 was a flop. Fanboys and first-time people admitted to this.

JRPG's lack

Julianking93:

SamuelT:

Julianking93:

Yes, we make fun of men using neko displays where it isn't sure if they are male or female...Ohwait.

You got a problem with Neko????

The way I'm seeing this is most developers are afraid to try anything innovative. With most of the recent games from Japan receiving mixed or low reviews, I can see that no one wants to risk investing into anything new.

I thought RE5 was okay. As for LP 2, not my kind of game.

You got a problem with Neko????

Yes I do, I just pick on them, it's fun you know.

erms, nintendo?
that doesn't count as a japanese game company anymore?

I think looking at his own games, he understands.

Serris:
erms, nintendo?

I do believe it said innovative.

It's already been cited, but I'd like to bring up From Software's Demon's Souls up as a prime example of an Eastern game taking steps toward more Westernization. It may not be all developers, and Westernization certainly doesn't equate innovation, but it's definitely something. I mean, if a company best-known for pumping out Armored Core 3,918,412 can pull off something like Demon's Souls as an effective RPG/Dungeon Crawler, I think there's plenty of hope for Eastern innovation yet.

Julianking93:

I'm an emo kid? holy shit I didn't know that!

The problem with the Japanese industry when it comes to RPGS is that they always reuse the same crappy cliched characters and it gets tiring. I'm tired of seeing the hyper 12 year old, bitchy big breasted lady, tacked on love interest and the annoying Loli.

Considering the Resi series evolved just 5 years ago with 4, which was put on the map as one of the best games ever (critically at least), I don't see why anyone at Capcom would even think of bringing up the idea 'Hey, see those mechanics that were so great and served us really well in Resident Evil 4? Yeah let's scrap those and start something new for the sequel'.

Stormz:

Julianking93:

The problem with the Japanese industry when it comes to RPGS is that they always reuse the same crappy cliched characters and it gets tiring. I'm tired of seeing the hyper 12 year old, bitchy big breasted lady, tacked on love interest and the annoying Loli.

Playing JRPGs doesn't make you emo. It's just that emo's like to play JRPGs

I'm still waiting for japan to go retro with their RPGs, so maybe I can see another Phantasy Star that isn't the stupid Online or Universe game.

I think this is funny and sad at the same time. I just hope the Japanese industry doesn't listen to them.

To be honest, some things just work. Turn based combat/RPGs are one of them. They have not changed because they are perfect as they are, do what they are supposed to, and are endlessly entertaining. People play them by the millions and love the genere, and no it's not "little emo kids". To be honest it's mostly an older crowd who can't "twitch" or prefer the intellectual exercise of stat management and such. It's not for everyone mind you, but a lot of people love it which is why they keep being made. People have been screaming about JRPGs for well... over a decade now. For all of the screaming they keep being made, and keep selling well enough to justify production.

What's more, I'll be honest in saying that what is generally called innovative seems pretty repetitive to me as well. I mean First Person and Third Person shooters haven't changed all that much since their inception, or at least no more so than turn based RPGs and such have within their own genere (things are always tweaked, added in, etc... in all generes). It seems to me that if something isn't a first or third person game that on some level relies on active, reflex-based input from the player, it's not considered to be innovative.

Now yes, there are good and bad games of all generes. Overall I think it can be said that "Final Fantasy XIII" was something of a failure despite some decent sales. Generally speaking though I think the problem was largely that they tried to dumb it down too much by focusing on criticism of people in the industry trying to tell them what they should be doing, and not listening to the people they were actually making the game for.

I expect "OMG, the Japanese game industry needs to change" to ultimatly mean nothing, as it will still remain one of the major pillars of gaming. I'll give Capcom's "Dead Rising" game(s) some points for being fairly innovative, however things like "Resident Evil 5" didn't impress me all that much, I mean basically what they did with RE 5 was kiddify the series by turning it from a survival horror game, into a twitch-based third person shooter. "Gears Of Zombies" or whatever. I didn't consider this really an "evolution" as much as imitation and jumping on an existing bandwagon.... Though I suppose that did help financially since it did appeal to the twitchy fingered kids of the world.

I am hoping Japanese developers will continue to stick with established, and loyal niche markets, make a decent profit, but not jump on the same bandwagon that every western developer is pigpiling on. I also suspect that by sticking to their guns, you'll probably see Japan's game industry survive the inevitable market burst.

Stormz:

Julianking93:

Cough*Bioware*CoughCough*Nearly Every FPS*Cough. Seriously yes a bit of innovation wouldn't go a miss but I would not like to see Westernisation in their games as I like thier games Japanese which is why I play them to get a break from Western games. There is plenty of innnovation to be done which is actual innovation despite what some people seem to think copying western devs in not innovation.

Serris:
erms, nintendo?

They have American branches as well.

They need to let go of the stereotypes and played out same old formula's.

Stormz:
I'm tired of seeing the hyper 12 year old, bitchy big breasted lady, tacked on love interest and the annoying Loli.

Agree completely. It's such a shame, the japanese really have something special that you won't find in the west. I don't think western developers could have pulled off beautiful games like Xenogears, Silent Hill 2, and Final Fantasy Tactics. In terms of story they often hit a deeper, psychological, and much more subtle point. Whereas in the west we tend to just cover the surface with lots of glitter and glam (read: violence, tits, explosions, and general ass-kicking *yawn*).

But now it's Final Fantasy 2324 with the same stupid characters as the last game. It's interesting how a low budget game like Nier comes out and gets some interest because of it's originally. People have been saying the story is good and I'm really looking forward to getting my copy. The game sounds far from perfect but I guess it's only games like this that are under the radar that have a chance of being original.

Why do the Japanese consumers buy this shit up anyway? Maybe I'm just culturally biased and don't understand what kinds of games they like, but I feel like some of it is out of some kind of national pride.

I'm a long time JRPG fan but I'm not really interested in FFXIII, I haven't really read a single good review about it. Even if the story peaks later on in the game if it's anything like the last few FF's its not going to be anything worth waiting for. Regardless of bad press it's still number 1 on gamefaqs so fans of the series are buying it anyway which will just cause the cycle of shitty games to continue.

PS: I'll also vouch for Demon's Souls. It's the most fun I've had in a video game in a long time. There is hope out there.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here