John Romero Apologizes for Trying to Make You His Bitch

Pages PREV 1 2

Hey, at least he did something genuinely interesting and out of the ordinary. An incident like this will be remembered by virtue of it being so unusual. So he shouldn't feel pride about it, but he can know that he's forever secured his place in gaming folklore.

I haven't played games back in the day, so I missed the whole bitch thing.

But I've bought Daikatana around 2002 or 2003 and fucking loved it (after the first part). The level design was just amazing and even the RPG elements were nice. Sidekicks and other stuff were quite fixed with the patch. The game was genuine fun.

There, don't get caught in the hype and you may actually enjoy some games. I still hope Romero will get to participate on some more games (not the Java things).

Didn't want to do it? It was approved by you. You're the one who thought it was a good idea. Don't try to backpedal this just because the game's industry made you their bitch. You're a fucking dinosaur, Romero. Go out with some fucking dignity.

Jack and Calumon:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

Calumon: Oooh! Ooooh! Bobby Kotick! Bobby Kotick!

I can go farther back than that. I'd love to hear an apology from Trip Hawkins for buying up and wrecking some of my favorite devs.

I remember seeing that ad in PC Gamer and thinking that it was writing a pretty big check. Granted, at that time everyone thought the game was going to be mind-blowing.... oh how wrong we were.

Anyhow, Daikatana was god awful, but I can't hate the creator of Doom and Quake for that. John Romero's okay in my book.

I'd rather that he apologized for failing than for trying.

God knows, there are enough obnoxious blowhards in the gaming industry without dredging up the ones in the past, though.

The best apology would be something worth playing on a system I actually want to play it on.

Jack and Calumon:
So... now we got that cleared up, shall we force some other Game Developer to apologize for a monstrosity?

I still think we should get the people who made Shadow the Hedgehog (The game, not the character) To apologize for making that game...wait a second *prods Calumon* Where do i know you from?

Terramax:
Were people really that offended by it?

Anyway, Daikitana wasn't the best game in the world, but I'd played worse games before and since.

There are always those people who take offence to every little swear word.

Man, Romero, as well as Carmack and the others at id are legends! The 'Masters of Doom' book is a great read, at least from a developer point of view, such pioneers of game development are allowed to make epic mistakes once in a while :D

I'd also recommend reading the full article (not just the blurb) at gamesauce (some cool old dev sketches and memorabilia to boot), a true passionate indie game developer back then (not sure about future endeavours, we'll see I guess).

Infernai:
wait a second *prods Calumon* Where do i know you from?

Calumon: Maybe from Here?

Meh Daikatana was better than Doom 3,the man needs to learn tact....

A little late Romero? No matter, better late than never. Though I suppose he has been sorry since it's release.

halo3rulzer:

Terramax:
Were people really that offended by it?

Anyway, Daikitana wasn't the best game in the world, but I'd played worse games before and since.

There are always those people who take offence to every little swear word.

I will note that the ad is a really bad idea regardless of whether or not people take offense from it. If you hear that person A is making person B his bitch, the intuitive assumption is that it's a good deal for person A and a bad deal for person B. The add puts the gamers as person B which sends to them the message that the best course of action is to disengage. Disengaging from Romero means not buying his game and not being his fan.

Scrythe:
Didn't want to do it? It was approved by you. You're the one who thought it was a good idea. Don't try to backpedal this just because the game's industry made you their bitch. You're a fucking dinosaur, Romero. Go out with some fucking dignity.

Well put ... Its a shame its taken him nearly a decade to even see that the situation isn't as rosy as he thought.

Damn, I'm old. I already had 10+ years of games behind me when it came out. I believed the anti-hype and never played it. Smiled at the add, understand the bad rep from it, but I never held it against Romero. People make mistakes, this was "his" big one. It's a shame to see these things to be a career-killer. Glad to see he moved on.

And this is not the first time he spoke out over Daikatana, admitting he made a big mistake with the ad...

Ah, Daikatana. Exhibit A of why FPS's for the most part suck.

Jack and Calumon:

Romero is human and cares. Kotick is a buisnessman and thats it. No soul, no love, just pure greed. He will only apologize that he did not succeed in obtaining every dollar ever.

Anticitizen_Two:

To criticize an entire genre on one game is a horrible and sad thing to do.

Miumaru:

Anticitizen_Two:

To criticize an entire genre on one game is a horrible and sad thing to do.

Well now, who says I'm doing that? The phrase "Exhibit A" implies that there are others, does it not?

John Romero has apologized about Daikatana's ad campaign on many occasions. It's well known that the "Make you his bitch" thing was conceived by Mike Wilson, the marketing guy, who nagged Romero to approve it despite hesitance. Nowadays, everything people know Romero for is that ad campaign, and people seem to have conceived an imaginary image of his personality, like he's some smug asshole, which is false. It's cost him his career no doubt, and I wonder why people keep dwelling on it.

Erik Jarnberg:
John Romero has apologized about Daikatana's ad campaign on many occasions. It's well known that the "Make you his bitch" thing was conceived by Mike Wilson, the marketing guy, who nagged Romero to approve it despite hesitance. Nowadays, everything people know Romero for is that ad campaign, and people seem to have conceived an imaginary image of his personality, like he's some smug asshole, which is false. It's cost him his career no doubt, and I wonder why people keep dwelling on it.

Erik Jarnberg is right, its Mike Wilson, the guy can do marketing like some sort of completely mental pro.

while being a PR whirlwind he is a rather unsavoury character.

A flame war between a Dev and a Marketeer.
http://kotaku.com/347075/john-romero-and-mike-wilson-bickering-continues

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or