Blizzard Reveals WoW: Cataclysm's Female Worgen

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Blizzard Reveals WoW: Cataclysm's Female Worgen

With the Cataclysm beta around the corner, Blizzard has finally pulled the sheet off of the female members of the playable Worgen race.

When Blizzard announced Cataclysm, its third expansion to MMOG behemoth World of Warcraft, it revealed that the game would be getting two new playable races: The Horde would be getting the profit-minded, explosion-happy Goblins of the Bilgewater Cartel, and Alliance would be joining up with the Worgen-cursed inhabitants of Gilneas (essentially, Victorian werewolves).

One of the biggest questions players had, though, was this: What the hell would the female Worgen look like? All of the existing art and models - and everything Blizzard showed at BlizzCon '09 - had been based on male lycanthropes. We'd seen the male Worgen, and both the male and female Goblins, but Blizzard was keeping the female Worgen tightly under wraps.

Until they sent us the images you see below earlier today, anyway. So, if you were intending to roll a female Worgen once Cataclysm hit, this is what you're going to look like.

It's worth noting that Blizzard stressed that these are, in fact, a work in progress and will likely change slightly by the time the game comes out. So, keep that in mind.

Honestly, though? It's tough to say, and I'll have to withhold final judgment until we see them fully animated, but I like 'em. It's the little touches in the model that get me: Notice how the ears are upright when they're standing still, but flattened in the "action" poses? If you've ever owned a dog with that type of ear, that's pretty damn accurate. Also, those claws look pretty wicked - no wonder Worgen Leatherworkers don't need a skinning knife to do their job. Ouch!

I think Blizzard has done a pretty good job here of striking a fine line between "feral badass" and "nice to look at." Back in Burning Crusade, the Horde got an "attractive" race in the Blood Elves, but the Alliance has been missing a similarly "bestial, monstrous" race of their own. And no, the Draenei don't count, they're just Russian.

What do you guys think? Do you like how the female Worgen look? Are you more or less likely to create one now?

Check below to see the female Worgen model in all four types of armor - click on the images to see them in their full-sized glory!

Cloth Armor: Worgen can be Priests, Mages, and Warlocks.

Leather Armor: Worgen can be Druids and Rogues.

Chain Armor: Worgen can be Hunters. Sorry, Shamans!

Plate Armor: Worgen can be Warriors and Death Knights. No Paladins for you.

...Well turns out I'm rolling female worgen...something, that other part comes later.

Well that settles it.

I'm killing myself.

Would love to see these as a Paladin, but, ah well.

Still pretty awesome looking!

Looks pretty awesome. Yet also kind of disturbing...

Well its a good thing they made them look nice, since the servers will be packed full of them after release.

Hmmm.... not bad actually. Looks like a fun race to play as.

And those claws look awesome.

Was going to say "in before furry", but you've all rather ruined that.

The Alliance is going to get covered in furries when Cataclysms out...still with any luck it might get some of those thicko alliance-rerolling blood elves out of the Horde and back where they belong.

AngryMongoose:

Yep. More or less. At least the Tauren had some dignity in being anthropomorphic animals.

It's Fur-tastic!

That being said, Good for them. I guess. More good vs evil imbalances though, as no one really wants to be a goblin. It's pretty bad at this point.

YES PLEASE! I've been waiting to see what they look like. Shame they have the same odd leg thing the Draenei have but I'll live. Wonder if they'll have anytype of hair styles, or if it's only the fur style and color you can pick.

Keep the Cata news coming

And Thus... everyone talks about Furrys.

Calumon: While we wait... anyone for scrabble?

they look hellza stupid

Shouldn't they have more nipples?

Jack and Calumon:
And Thus... everyone talks about Furrys.

Calumon: While we wait... anyone for scrabble?

Wait? Wait for what? It to be proven true?

OT: Well, they do look...sleek I suppose, which is wierd given a werewolf Worgen is supposed to be a rugged, maniacal animal. Although, given that the Gilneans recover their humanity, I suppose females can take care of themselves again...

Looks very furry. I'd still roll male.

EDIT: i'm more interested in the animations.

Char-Nobyl:

AngryMongoose:

Yep. More or less. At least the Tauren had some dignity in being anthropomorphic animals.

Well, I was fine with the worgen, then I saw Corohans comment...

Hmm...if they give them human hairstyles, THEN I'll be scared.

... Eh.
Not overwhelmed, to be honest. They seem a bit... off. Perhaps they're missing hair? That could be it.

Really? Werewolves? REALLY?!
Come on, and they're not horde, really?
Instead probably the epitome of good in the alliance furries..
Instead of a monster race, as an anthropomorphic wolf would be, instead they turn it into a fetish.

You know even though they're werewolves, I think they look really nice.

*EDIT* To all who complain over "There are furries in my WoW!!!111!" have you forgotten that the Taurens have been there since the start?

Even though I've never played World of Warcraft, and probably never will (I have a deep hatred of subscription-based things, or rather, just the subscriptions themselves), I would probably prefer to play a female Worgen as from the images I dug up on the male ones, I'm not that much of a fan of those. The animations look like they've been well-done, can't say they aren't thorough.

This is from a person who avoids playing a female character whenever possible. I tried it with Mass effect 2, and my heart just wasn't in it, (which is massive shock as I could play that game for hours and hours on end).

Like: They are cool/feral looking while still being 'nice to look at' as you say.
The ears and, more astonishingly, the 'snarl' work appropriately...every animal in WoW seems to either have a relaxed face, or a permanent open-mouthed snarl. That she can look normal with a closed mouth, and more angry with it open is spiffy.

What would make it better...as others have said, hairstyles. Or rather, mane styles. 'Hair' on these would look way too anime for the game style. But a couple different options with bushy manes would be neat.

Notthatbright:
It's Fur-tastic!

That being said, Good for them. I guess. More good vs evil imbalances though, as no one really wants to be a goblin. It's pretty bad at this point.

I think more people would want to be goblins then Gnomes

Also WoW suck anyways so yeah, they won't be getting MY soul!!

Counting down until the furry fandom 34's the female Worgen. *starts a stopwatch*

Edit: Also counting down until when Anonymous will collectively create accounts to hyper-troll every single Worgen player ever.

Wolf fan fiction here we come. ;O

Furries around the world rejoice.
The rest will just wait for some new, more interesting MMO (Like give me my TOR and my god damn twi'leks!)

Looks like they're re-using the Draenei skeleton and animations at the moment, but aside from that, would prefer them to make them look a little more feral, seem a bit too clean cut at the moment.

Almost remind me of Egyptian style cat people, which is weird.

These models don't have any hair styles applied to them, so they may appear off--as the images say, they're works in progress.

The Worgen are essentially the Alliance's Forsaken, and are a much needed addition--seeing as how the alliance is extremely boring right now, politically, and lacks any sort of drama.

The goblins are for the exact opposite reason, the Horde has too much political drama and needs a comical race to balance it out.

I probably won't be playing Refurbishclysm and, even if I did, I wouldn't play as one of these furries.

Notthatbright:
It's Fur-tastic!

What, really? Horde outnumbers Alliance on both my servers.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here