Heavy Rain Movie In the Works?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Heavy Rain Movie In the Works?

Reports indicate that a deal is very close to being settled that would give the Heavy Rain movie rights to the founders of New Line Cinema.

According to Deadline, an auction set up by Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream for the film rights to the IP is almost over. Reportedly, the winning party is likely to be Unique Features, the new film company set up by Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, who founded New Line Cinema back in 1967.

Assuming the deal goes through, does this mean that a Heavy Rain movie could soon be bringing the Origami Killer to a theater near you? Not necessarily - plenty of film rights get sold, but many of them never materialize into full-blown films.

Still, it does mean that - at the very least - some people with the power to make movies happen have been discussing the idea. Somebody had to notice that Heavy Rain has sold more than a million copies worldwide, anyway.

Seeing as how the game itself is basically a movie, that might make it easier to translate into film. Then again, if they don't cast actors who all make Philly sound like it's in the middle of France, can we really say that it's an authentic adaptation?

(Via CVG)

Let me be the first to say that it will suck.
I mean, seriously, a game about how your choices determine the story being made into a movie? Seriously?

I hope so. I have yet to play the game due to not owning the console (I wish there was one universal console sometimes) I'm sure a film would be a ideal way to expierence the game though.

There will probably just be less character deaths due to my usual ham-fistedness when playing QTE's.

This would not work at all. Didn't this start out as a movie to begin with and then got canned because Seven and Saw did everything that this story did, only better?

It won't be good, video game movies rarely are.

I hope it doesn't get made.

Uhh it already is a movie. You just had to hit buttons through it.

Fantastic. The producer wanted it to be judged as a movie. Now all its numerous plot holes and crappy go-nowhere drek can get ripped to shreds by film critics as well as game reviewers.

squid5580:

Oh snap!

It would be like turning MGS into a movie... interrupted every 5 minutes with a gameplay sequence.

Well, it could be good I guess. I say go for it, as long as you bring back the old Fat Guy. And Nayhman Jayden. I don't care what you people think, I liked him.

Good, I'm really genuinely hoping that some more games get made into movies so that at least a few will break this shitty game/movie stigma. Fingers crossed for Prince of Persia, I think it has the best chance as of right now...

squid5580:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking... After playing the demo it seemed like a movie with QTE's, and now they are taking out the QTE's...

squid5580:

Gah, ninja-ed my comment.

Although you could have everyone in the audience hold controllers and press the prompts to "vote" for what they do next in the movie... hrm.

I'll take my controller to the cinema and get mocked for the brilliant stupidity.

hazabaza1:
I mean, seriously, a game about how your choices determine the story being made into a movie? Seriously?

Thats ok we don't have to see it. already know the ending......s.

This doesn't make sense, its already trying to be a movie, and since everyone already knows the ending they will either have to
A) Make up an entirely different story with different characters and tack the name on to make it sell better (A.K.A Max payne and hitman)
B) Make up some bullshit plot about a copycat killer or the killer have friends or somthing

squid5580:

Damn you! DAMN YOU, I SAY!

Prepare to not hear the end of this in this thread.

...damn ninjas...

Wow, already, it's barely been out a couple months. I don't get how it would work as a movie... maybe a mini-series, but not a movie.

Well next to the inherent game-to-movie suck it seems like Heavy Rain's main allure was that it's an interactive movie. Take away interaction and you will get a poorer product which will get lost in the sea of similar movies at best, or become a focal point of nerd rage for some time in worst case. But I have to add I never played the game and only know what I read about it.

Isn't that a bit of a disappointment for Quantic Dream?

"Uh, David Cage, I know you've said all along that your game is a movie and not a game, but we don't think it's enough of a movie, so can we make a "real" movie of it?"

This game has a choice-based system and you wanting a fixed script to translate this movie for the people who actually played this boring yet unique game?

Yeah, I am really going to sit one boring ass ride out in the cinema soon. It's worthy enough for a torrent. Next!

Ehhh, I'm kinda iffy on this one. On the one hand, I really liked the characters in Heavy Rain and would love to see how they are portrayed in the movie, plus the story of Heavy Rain is designed to be compelling and entertaining, so it would probably translate easily across mediums.

On the OTHER hand, making a movie adaptation ruins the integrity of the original. There's no doubt in my mind that the only reason that this is even being considered is that Heavy Rain was fairly commercially successful.

Seeing as the game was more like a movie, can we expect the movie to be more like a game?

We'll go into the theatre and be passed controllers and each assigned a character, with as many endings as there are attendees - in a battle for the starring role in quite possibly the stupidest idea for a movie conversion ever.

Like turning a painting into a photo.

The purchasing of movie rights is a long, long ways away from equaling a move in production. I doubt this will happen. This is probably mostly the studio needing money and someone at Newline having a cinemagasm over the game and wanting to participate in it somehow.

Isn't that usually how these things work?

It will likely suck, but, since the game plays pretty much like a movie anyway, it could be an exception to the rule

marter:
It won't be good, video game movies rarely are.

I hope it doesn't get made.

Que the director being Uwe Boll...

Wait, Heavy Rain WASN'T a movie? HEY-YO!!!

On topic: what's the point? Wouldn't that completely ruin the entire point of the game/series?

A Heavy Rain film aye? What will that be called? Heavy Rain 2?

I was going to make a joke that the movie will require you to press buttons throughout but that would be rather silly now that i think about it.

Preparing for an onslaught of jokes about how Heavy Rain was a movie already where you had to push buttons in order to watch.
Although I wouldn't say that the people who say that are completely wrong, but they're sort of missing the point.
Imo, making Heavy Rain a movie is just downgrading it and stripping it of its best fucking feature.

hazabaza1:

Ninja'd.

It would mean making an ending that has to be the correct one. I got the "So close" ending and to me, that is how the game ended.

Film is a bad idea.

The game that wanted to be an interactive movie becomes a non-interactive movie.

But, hey, at least it shouldn't come with that whole Uncanny Valley deal.

But the game is a murder mystery, and the fans, who happen to be the people this film will be mainly targeted at, will already know who did it. That's pointless.

Guh...

I love Heavy Rain. My favorite game ever. But this is a bad idea. Sure, the plot is entertaining and stuff, but taking away the whole aspect of choosing your own way will just go to hell. HR will probably lose much of it's appeal that way.

That being said, even though I know it will suck (if it'll get released of course), I'll probably buy a ticket anyway. Curiosity, and part of my which is a HR fanboy won't let me choose otherwise...

the only video games that make could make sense as movies are the very strict and linear ones where the choice is do it how the game wants or die

If they do make Heavy Rain into a film than I hope that the plot holes in the game will be dealt with by the writers for the movie. Heavy Rain had great game-play but the plot holes are what held it back.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here