Survey: Kids Hate Earth But Love Videogames

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Survey: Kids Hate Earth But Love Videogames

What do kids like more: the Earth or videogames? Take a wild guess.

This week, aircraft manufacturer Airbus released the results of a survey it calls the "Airbus Bio-Index," which aimed to measure the level of importance children and teenagers place environmental issues at in their lives. The findings showed that kids love videogames way more than the planet they play videogames on.

The Bio-Index was conducted with more than 10,000 kids from 10 different countries ranging in age from 5-18. The results found that while 40% of the kids ranked watching television and playing videogames as most important to them, 4% ranked saving the environment the same way. So, while around 400 kids have an interest in looking after Mother Earth, 4000 just want to save imaginary princesses.

The survey also showed that 15% didn't even know what an endangered species was, with 9% ranking protecting animals as an important task. On a positive note, 30% of kids said that going outside is their favorite activity, most likely because they own the Nintendo DS.

According to Airbus, there is "work to be done." The results may show a strong disconnect between the world's children and nature compared with electronic activities, which makes sense, because even playing Wii Music is more fun than getting all sweaty outside planting a shrub. The other issue, however, is how many kids are raised with blinders on to the urgent and usually depressing realities of life. Even though it might scare little Billy, telling him that the Earth won't be a great place to live if not taken care of would probably be a good idea.

Via:Spong via GoNintendo

They don't really 'hate' it, they just can't be bothered to do anything about it - neither can I, to be honest, because the sooner the Earth gets screwed the sooner we can go to space!

What's the earth done for me? Video games have taught me lots.

It could also be that because of recent developments in the whole global warming thing, many parents have quit telling their children that we are horrible people by destroying the earth.

I'm mildly concious of how much energy I waste. I'm not a green nut but I recycle turn things off at the plug and what not. So I do my bit. I'm sure if EVERYONE did as much as me there wouldn't be a problem... but then I don't drive or anything so it doesn't really count.

Well, I'd say that most people do not rank environmental issues on the top of there list of priorities. That doesn't mean they don't care it just means they care about other things more.

Because, you know, those two things are totally comparable.

Let me say I'd probably be one of those who rank video games above Earth. It's good to know I'm not alone, in fact I'm the freaking majority.

Was it a "tick the box" type of survey?
If it was not then you can't really say teenagers and children don't care about the Earth, just that they didn't think of writing that down.

If it was a "tick the box" thing then I am severly pissed at my generation....unless they phrased it like "Looking after the enviroment" because to be honest I do not like sounding like a hippie.

Praise the gods. We're creating more gamers than stuck-up, self-righteous, lobotomized-pleasure-center eco-weenies.

I'm all in favor of saving the earth, even do my best to lower my carbon footprint wherever and whenever possible. But I'm with the kids. I'd rather spend the day playing Fallout 3 than going to some greenie rally.

They're kids. Saving the world is a grown up thing. Let them be kids just a little while longer. Is that too much to ask? We don't need the next generation becoming world weary before they even need to be.

Well, I think they meant on their own time, as an activity.

Because which is more fun, Kratos, or recycling?

Yay, recycling!

lee1287:
What's the earth done for me? Video games have taught me lots.

You mean other than being a place to live?

Hmm...
Yeah I see your point...
All the Earth has ever done for me is getting activists trying to make me feel guilty for throwing plastic away in the non-recyclable bin. Incidentally, recycling is bullshit.

Green Peace suing me in 10... 9... 8...

Screw the Earth! I have video games.

SimuLord:
Praise the gods. We're creating more gamers than stuck-up, self-righteous, lobotomized-pleasure-center eco-weenies.

That right there is why most people claim not to give a shit about the enviroment.

I am far from the usual enviromental crowd and I hate them but I still do care about the enviroment and try my best not be grouped in with them.

Well, what the hell are kids going to do about the environment. Saving the environment from instability requires very grown-up things like new laws, social change, and all that shit.

Kajin:
They're kids. Saving the world is a grown up thing. Let them be kids just a little while longer. Is that too much to ask? We don't need the next generation becoming world weary before they even need to be.

To be blunt, I couldn't have said it better myself.

PayJ567:
but I recycle

If it's anything other than aluminum you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Because I care about the subject...

This entire 'green movement' is such bullshit.

Credge:

PayJ567:
but I recycle

If it's anything other than aluminum you're doing it wrong.

I recycle anything the government tells me to shove in those bags. Yes I recycle alot of aluminium.

Now if we get 50 more percent of them to play space games, we will have a public that wants to go to the moon by the time I am in my 50s.

No one gives a crap about the earth. Soon, we'll all be living in hive cities anyway.

FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE!!!

Connor Lonske:
Now if we get 50 more percent of them to play space games, we will have a public that wants to go to the moon by the time I am in my 50s.

Obama canceled the moon. Whole thing. Sorry. Its not there anymore.

Its a really silly survey and i dont see the problemw ith answers themselves.
Its pretty obvious majoirty of people will put something phrased as "Saving the enviroment" pretty low on a list of things they like, % of people actively engaged in pro-enviroment activites is low, maybe too low, but that doesnt mean the rest just doesnt give a damn. Its just something many people do on day to day basis by just actic properly, no need to express sudden love for it tho.

Another problem tho is major flaws in education if so many of the kids have no idea what endangered species are, but when you ask 5 years old dont expect them to respond with essay about how making sure rare species of animals survive is improtant for future of our grandchildren o.o

I'd question the conclusion here.

The way it reads to me, they were asked to rank what is most important to them. What they're saying is that 4% mentioned the enviroment as the most important thing to them, which is bloody huge since we're talking a priority list. What's more we don't know what else was on that list, and how it was presented. Not to mention how high the key issue (the enviroment) ranked after video games or whatever.

That said, I don't dislike the enviroment, but I tend to take a "humans first" attitude. Strictly speaking while the planet might eventually wind up looking like Trantor (from Asimov's books) we'll survive and probably have a decent standard of living. One of the reasons why I push for a world unity irregardless of the cost in human lives (if it comes to that, mostly I think it will happen from ideas) is the need for humans to expand our population to other planets and obtain more resources. The faster it happens, and the faster we colonize other planets, the less likely that we're going to cover our planet in a giant, endless, urban metroplex.

Not to mention of course the fact that for kids, and anyone else, the issue is fundementally unaddressable. I mean even if we somehow achieved 100% recyclying, we're still going to damage the enviroment due to the rate our population expands. What's more some of the technologies people suggest we go without are used for good reason. For all the beautiful pictures of wildlife, and sickening pictures of industial wastelands and such, you'll notice they never really show a bunch of people slowly freezing or starving to death, or slowly dying in a hospital because enviromental concerns have mandated we can't save him, or even work on the technology to do so.

Kids become smarter every generation, and to some extent I think ironic detachment "I'd rather play video games" might be a factor. For all the "you can save the enviroment" junk, it's really too big an issue, and morally ambigious. "Let's Protect The Rainforest!", okay that's great, except the people living around that Rainforest are a bunch of poor dirtfarmers who have nothing except a plentiful supply of wood, which they sell so they can have resources to live on and food to eat. You aren't going to talk them into all starving to death in the mud, and dying from sickness because of the rights of all those beautiful animals... so to stop them, you'd basically have to walk in and kill them and the contractors.

When you really think about this stuff, and I think kids can be smarter than we give them credit for (even if they don't think of that example), it's kind of ridiculous. Okay, fine, using the recycle bins and knowing what goes into which one is not a bad thing. Alternative energy is a nice idea down the road, assuming of course we can both deconstruct our current power grid, and build a new one without causing massive devestation to the population... call it 'drawing board material'. Ridiculous sentiments are recognized for what they are, for example the MMO that encouraged kids to run around unplugging power strips and messing with people's unattended laptops:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/mmo-roulette/powerup.php

That's real incidently.

So basically, while superficially it might seem "video games are more important" is wrong, I can't help but wonder if that's less disturbing that it might at first appear. I mean consider the retardation that was "Captain Planet" and it's take on the issue. There is a point at which someone might just say "I'll sit here and play my video games, and not ruin the enviroment any more than that entails. You guys go save the enviroment without me, and oh hey... while your out with PETA don't forget the noseplugs, I heard beached whales actually stink really bad up close".

Well this world is doomed anyways so who gives a fuck, only stupid people that can't figure it out (it being the world is doomed) I actually HOPE 2012 will happen (I mean of course it wont and when I say 2012...well you all know what I mean)

Well, if earth becomes uninhabitable we could all just go live on space-station right?

Now it's only left to wonder what kids think about the war on terror and the financial situation. Those three issues should be at the top of every kid's interests.

This just in: Kids actually want to be kids. This is issues for the older generations; once these kids enter the adult world, I'm sure they'll at least try to care. Lord knows I can't be arsed to. To paraphrase George Carlin: "The planet is fine. Humanity on the other hand, is fucked."

kids don't care because earth sucks balls through the eyes of most kids.

It makes sense. Kids play games to get away from the real world. Even those grey and brown battlegrounds full of whiney 12 year olds are evidentally more exciting than real life.

The age group is broad I think. When I was little kid all I wanted to do was run around and play. I still want to run around in play but it would look weird being an adult with out any kids around.

3nimac:
Now it's only left to wonder what kids think about the war on terror and the financial situation. Those three issues should be at the top of every kid's interests.

Yes, what are those lazy indolent kids going to do about the global financial system? It's not going to fix itself.

Damn...when I was in school (not too long ago, mind), any kid who'd said video games were more important than protecting the environment would've spent recess having the snot beat out of them by the rest of the class before being forced to eat pages from their own notebooks. What is wrong with these little weirdos? Avatar can't have f****d with them that badly...

It'd say I care about video games more because the Earth is a depressing places, designed to keep you trapped and smoother you.

Not like video games are the most important thing to me, I don't even play THAT much, maybe half an hour a day.

oh boo hoo. environmental nut jobs think this is a problem? the earth is chugging along just fine and global warming is bullshit. kids cant do anything to help the environment, even riding thier bikes to school instead of having thier parents drive them wont help at all. there is nothing they can do, there is nothing anyone of us can do. so who really cares?

Would you rather...

A) Play a fun video game

OR

B) Pick up trash on the side of the road.

Shockingly, most kids chose A. Those who chose B are currently on medication.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here