Inmate Creativity: The PlayStation Tattoo Machine

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Inmate Creativity: The PlayStation Tattoo Machine

An enterprising prisoner in the U.K. has been busted for offering to ink up his fellow inmates using a tattoo machine he built from a stripped-down PlayStation.

Prison inmates are by necessity a creative bunch, few more so than the detainee at the Brook House Immigration Removal Center who built himself a tattoo machine by tearing down a PlayStation console and then attaching its motor to a sharpened ballpoint pen. "It was a truly bizarre piece of DIY, up there with some of the most extraordinary finds staff have made," a source told The Sun. "When it was switched on it would move up and down like a real tattoo gun."

The source described the device was "a bit Heath Robinson," which according to Wikipedia is Brit-speak for an "unnecessarily complex and implausible contraption," and said that a person would have to be "daring" to use it. But given that inmates routinely smuggle contraband up their asses and drink prison wine that's made in a toilet, getting a tattoo from this thing really doesn't strike me as all that impressive.

Guests of Her Majesty are allowed access PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles but not the PlayStation 3 because of its ability to connect to the internet. As for the PlayStation Tattoo Machine, it was seized along with a tattoo magazine but the Border and Immigration Agency said no further action would be taken.

Be honest: Who imprisoned McGyver?

Human ingenuity at it's (near) finest.

Wow, just wow, thats a amazing thing, i would have never thought of that, but i never plan to be in jail either.

That is pretty creative...Ill give it to him it was creative to be sure.

Although, not surprised it was caught...difficult to hide

Criminals: the best inventors.

That's not so creative-- the fact that it's a Playstation is irrelevant; prisoners make tattoo guns all the time using harvested mechanical motors and electronics, and they all work the same way.

here is my question, how the hell did someone sneek a PSX into a prison?

EDIT: I misread the news, sorry fokes.

Brad Shepard:

It says that in the UK where this happened the inmates are allowed to have PS and PS-2 systems but not the PS-3 because it can connect to the Internet and could be used for communication.

I'd imagine it was purchused out of the commisary [SP] just like a TV or anything else.

I've seen crazier stuff turned into tattoo guns, but I find inmate ingenuity very interesting and impressive.

Therumancer:

Brad Shepard:

It says that in the UK where this happened the inmates are allowed to have PS and PS-2 systems but not the PS-3 because it can connect to the Internet and could be used for communication.

I'd imagine it was purchused out of the commisary [SP] just like a TV or anything else.

I must have skimed over that, thanks :)

impressive... most impressive

bjj hero:

The limeys got probably jealous of his awesomeness.

mr-fix_it:

bjj hero:

The limeys got probably jealous of his awesomeness.

This limey has nothing but respect for his mad skills.

Therumancer:

They earn money if they have a job or attend education in prison but its not much. A big puchase like that would likely be bought using money sent in from family outside, or bought cheaply from an inmate about to be released.

wtf prisiners are allowed ps1's and ps2's? thats bull. they probly coudnt afford one. they get a better quality of life in prison. stupid system.

That's pretty impressive. I don't think I really want to know what he did to get in there in the first place if he's that clever...

But that's a pretty chill prison if it lets them have PlayStations.

Brad Shepard:

You don't sneak them. This is the UK, being in prison means you get everything on a plate. Well, maybe an exagerration but you still get a damn sight more than for not being in prison.

wow, so it actually worked? I take my hat off to this chap (bows then contemplates if another prisoner will do this using soap)

What a bulky homemade tattoo gun. Most prison tattoo guns are made like this, and don't have wires hanging all over the place. And for those certain cases where contraband can't be obtained, tattoos are burned into the skin with plastic from a comb. Don't ask me how I know this.

That is some serious sweetness!

But I wonder, where did he get the PS? Are those allowed these days? Seems like a good place to hide stuff or hit people with, or apperently make tattooguns.

Aha, this is just how resourceful people can become with the given resources and environment. He should do more things, maybe he can hit a job as a mechanic or enigneer. Outstanding bright news!

Andy Chalk:
Guests of Her Majesty are allowed access PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles but not the PlayStation 3 because of its ability to connect to the internet.

What. It is prison, not fun time. They shouldn't have access to any Playstation model. ...Unless the only games they are given to play are Rascal and Bubsy 3D, and they are required to play them for at least 30 minutes a day.

Interesting choice to build a tattoo gun from, though. I mean, they let you have a Playstation in the first place... Do you really like tattoos that much that you'd destroy it? Eh.

I am not sure what is funnier, the fact that a guy made a tattoo gun out of a playstation, or that they let felons play video games.

That is awesome beyond all levels.

Finally, the PS3 has a use.

I remember seeing a semi-automatic clip fed pistol made from plumbing parts before. This just seems lackluster in comparison.

Well that's certainly a lot more pleasant than making Pruno.

JoshGod:
wtf prisiners are allowed ps1's and ps2's? thats bull. they probly coudnt afford one. they get a better quality of life in prison. stupid system.

How much do you think they are? Unlike PS3, they were not insanely priced, and being old systems, would be able to be purchesed for 100$ or less even.

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

How much do you think they are? Unlike PS3, they were not insanely priced, and being old systems, would be able to be purchesed for 100$ or less even.

my point it that i dont think you should be allowed game consoles in prison. its a punishment ffs.

JoshGod:

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

my point it that i dont think you should be allowed game consoles in prison. its a punishment ffs.

Well, prisons are supposed to do two things. Keep dangerous people away from us, and make them better people. As someone who thinks video games CAN make people smarter, I am not so against it. And dont just say "We dont need smarter criminals". Some criminals are criminals due to lack of intelligence, and if smarter would keep out of trouble by not making it.
However I would advise against games like Hitman and Gears of War.

I.. I thought everybody knew about Heath Robinson, people in america don't talk about him? 0_o

JoshGod:

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

I'm from the UK and even I think the shit that prisoners get up to over here is down right wrong. We have people raping women so that they can get locked back up in the cozy prison's, murders happening so that immigrants can go to prison to learn English.

I understand what they were trying to do, but its gone too far now.

Here's hoping the tories can sort this mess out. Even if they are a bunch of toffee nosed prick's.

bjj hero:

A fool, because he'd have busted out before they'd even finished the paperwork.

OT: wow, prisoners get to play console games as long as no internet access? And yet any one of them would rather cannibalise them to make a damn stupid tattoo machine?!?!

I can see why they are in prison.

Baron Khaine:

I'm from the UK and even I think the shit that prisoners get up to over here is down right wrong. We have people raping women so that they can get locked back up in the cozy prison's, murders happening so that immigrants can go to prison to learn English.

Here's hoping the tories can sort this mess out. Even if they are a bunch of toffee nosed prick's.

Well the purpose of Prisons are not JUST for punishment, their most important purpose is to remove and isolate criminals and their criminal tendencies from the rest of law abiding society. Making jails reasonably comfortable aids that as there is less compulsion to escape and less incentive for suspects to evade justice. I mean why shoot a copper to avoid jail when jail isn't that bad?

There is also the rehabilitation factor. If you treat them like animals they will act like animals, you can't have all stick and no carrot. I'd like to see some more scientific approach to rehabilitation though mostly it has failed due to how complex and deceptive humans are.
You can use Pavlovian behavioural modifications on almost all species but Humans (and certain higher apes) are unusually resistant. They're just too good at thinking around the conditions set upon them.

And I think we have to face it, we don't have the guts to punish wrong doers any more when we got rid of the death penalty. We can't even follow through with a full life sentence for mass murderers as with Al Megrahi. Life Sentence used to mean you die in prison, now it means just till you are mortally ill.

My personal views? I think mass murderers and sadistic murderers (child murder or torture) should see the death penalty. But that is a burden of punishment we as a society are clearly not willing to bear.

Life sentences need to MEAN life sentences, it is not justice to use double-speak in sentencing. If the sentence is not that they will spend the rest of their life in prison, then DON'T call it a life sentence, call it something else. Or at least differentiate, maybe call a REAL life sentence (imprisoned till you die of natural causes) something like a "Terminal Sentence". Seems suitable, and I think considering the crimes it is fitting.

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

Well, prisons are supposed to do two things. Keep dangerous people away from us, and make them better people. As someone who thinks video games CAN make people smarter, I am not so against it. And dont just say "We dont need smarter criminals". Some criminals are criminals due to lack of intelligence, and if smarter would keep out of trouble by not making it.
However I would advise against games like Hitman and Gears of War.

actually i doubt anyone who's been in prison (excluding the rich) could get a good job. so we dont need smarter criminals thank you. anyway if you want smarter criminals give them a dictionary not a games console.

Baron Khaine:

JoshGod:

Miumaru:

JoshGod:

was that sarcasm or extremism? i couldn't honestly tell.
anyway how do you feel about capital punishment? i think it's a capital idea. (for murders only)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here