Insomniac Goes Multiplatform After 16 Years of Sony

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Insomniac Goes Multiplatform After 16 Years of Sony

For the past 16 years, Insomniac Games has developed exclusively for Sony platforms with games like Resistance and Ratchet & Clank. That's all about to change.

Insomniac has signed a deal with EA Partners - you know, the same program that Infinity Ward has Respawned at - to create a new franchise for both PS3 and Xbox 360. This marks a fairly significant departure for Insomniac, which has developed exclusively on Sony platforms since the release of Disruptor on the original PlayStation in 1996.

No title or release window have been announced for this new franchise, but it is currently in development at the developer's Burbank location (and sadly, not just down the road here at the Durham, North Carolina office). "Working with EA Partners allows us to extend the reach of our games to a multiplatform audience while retaining ownership of the intellectual property," said Insomniac CEO Ted Price.

"We are excited and eager to introduce Insomniac to a new group of gamers while reinforcing to our loyal fans what makes our games special."

While Insomniac - makers of big-name Sony franchises like Spyro the Dragon (the good ones), Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance - says it has been wanting to expand to Xbox "for many years," a blog post from Price reassured its PlayStation fans that the studio's ties to Sony were still strong:

"We know many of you are extremely loyal to the PlayStation family, and especially to Resistance and Ratchet & Clank. We are too. Our relationship with Sony Computer Entertainment is still very strong, and continues as we develop additional projects exclusively for PlayStation 3 - projects that will take full advantage of our additional development time."

So no, it doesn't look like you Xbox 360 owners will be getting the new Ratchet & Clank games that you secretly covet - you do, admit it - but instead something completely new from the talented studio. Which is great! Multiplatform releases for all!

(Via Edge, Insomniac Blog)

I never had the chance to play the Ratchet & Clank series, but it always looked interesting. Spyro the Dragon, on the other hand, was hella fun. I used to play that game whenever I could get my hands on a PlayStation. It was as much fun to me as Crash Bandicoot was (which was a lot of fun).

Good for you, Insomniac!

I also have not gotten the chance to play Ratchet and Clank. I grew up playing Spyro with my friends PS, and also enjoyed Jak and Daxter, which although was made from Naughty Dog, was very similar, correct?

Anyway, its nice to see more companies deciding to go multiplatform. Maybe I wont have to buy a ps3 now?

I think I pretty much have every Insomniac game except for Disruptor. I believe if anyone can pull off multiplat games it would be insomniac. Nice for 360 owners that have not played the goodness that is insomniac to finally have a chance too.

Some of the comments over at the Insomniac blog are really pathetic. They're acting as if multiplatform means "last-gen" or something. I'm looking forward to what they're going to come up with, a new IP is always nice.

There is no studio that I missed more when I chose my 360 over a PS3.

NEW SPYRO game plox. I really, really want a Spyro game that's like the old ones, awesome and fun! :)

More signs of the Hemorrhaging PS3, when FF moved on, I thought Sony was screwed.

Well, that last line sure did make me laugh. Multiplatform releases for all, yeah right. If every developer in the world weren't such money hungry douches we could all enjoy our video games and not buy ten million different consoles.

danpascooch:
More signs of the Hemorrhaging PS3, when FF moved on, I thought Sony was screwed.

I think you miss the point they are still planning on doing ps3 exclusive games and the games from insomniac that are on the ps3 are supposedly not going multiplat. They are just creating a new IP for multiplat. If you really want to point fingers like that ps3 fanboys could say about the same thing for XBox 360 and Bungie.

If this means we'll get similar games to Spyro and Ratchet on the Xbox 360 then this can only be a good thing, even if we won't get those particular franchises on the system. I grew up with Spyro the Dragon, and the earlier Ratchet and Clank games, playing them on the family PS2. We still have that though in the next-gen I switched to Xbox over Playstation. If we end up with multi-platform games of that calibe then that's brilliant, and even better if it helps the cause against exclusitivity, which I've always been a strong advocate against.

I think companies are enjoying fueling the console flamewar. Anyway I dont really care. AS long as they keep making good games then it doesnt matter if they arent exclusive.

Aylaine:
NEW SPYRO game plox. I really, really want a Spyro game that's like the old ones, awesome and fun! :)

Hell, I'd buy it even if they just remade it with a graphical overhaul. Do want!

I loved Ratchet and Clank as well so here's hoping their next series is just as enjoyable.

I'm going to go ahead and second this...

Aylaine:

I second this.

... Anyway I own a PS3 so this really doesn't affect me too much, apart from the graphics that are undeniably going to be downgraded so it can be played on the 360. But as long as they keep churning out the good stuff (I want my Resistance 3 damn it!) I'm fine.

Please make an xbox Rachet and Clank game, please...

Its been forever sinse ive played it because my PS2 died...

JeanLuc761:

Aylaine:

Hell, I'd buy it even if they just remade it with a graphical overhaul. Do want!

I loved Ratchet and Clank as well so here's hoping their next series is just as enjoyable.

Me too. I would actually buy an xBox 360 (or maybe a PS3) if they did do that. I used to spend endless days playing Spyro way back when the series kicked massive amounts of ass. :)

Well, I suppose opens options for them, I would certainly welcome seeing some of there great games on 360!

John Funk:
While Insomniac - makers of big-name Sony franchises like Spyro the Dragon (the good ones)

I grew up on the spyro the dragon games. ;)

I'm looking forward to the games that Insomniac will do in the future. This deal is really a great way to get everyone a chance to play their new games.

...I need to dig out my playstation.

This is awesome, I'm so excited. I grew up playing Spyro arcade-style on PS1 (because I had no memory card) and it never got old trying to see how far I could get in one day, even though I was never able to finish.

I still have three of the R&C games for PS2, but I never got to try the new ones when I chose 360. Insomniac was the only thing that appealed to me about a PS3, and it wasn't enough. Now I'll be watching them for this new franchise.

Aylaine:

JeanLuc761:

Aylaine:

Me too. I would actually buy an xBox 360 (or maybe a PS3) if they did do that. I used to spend endless days playing Spyro way back when the series kicked massive amounts of ass. :)

haha, I still play them every now and then. Sure the graphics are way outdated but the gameplay and visual design is still as wonderful as ever. That's how you know you've got a memorable game; yay nostalgia!

Here i was, all excited. You've got my hopes up. I click on a post, and it turns out they only branch out to Xbox.

My poor, poor expectations. You finally, really did it. You MANIACS! You BLEW THEM UP! Aw, damn you! GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

...sorry, what was that about? Never mind. Still, their games are good - and we could always use more good games. Hope at least you Xbox owners are happy with this.

Onyx Oblivion:
There is no studio that I missed more when I chose my 360 over a PS3.

My thoughts exactly.
I still play my Ratchet and Clank original three games every so often, when I go round my friend's house (He had a PS3) We always play Resistance, and when I played another friends Spyro 2 it was the most fun I'd had since Crash Bandicoot.
Insomniac, I love you.

Well, I still have R&C on my PSP. I just love that game.

Wait... 16 years? 2010-1996=14
14=/=16
logic error..3#@!%@#Tdsgg24g42hh^J
S/^771ng 80#$ MEMORY DUMP!@!$%$^#&#$!!!!!!
Restart....

As a PS3 and Xbox (Soon to be only PS3 owner because of my dead Xbox) I am happy that Xbox people can play their great games.

Smashing! I would like to play their Ratchet and Clank series. Something new would be good too.

XBOX guys, you are in for a treat. These guys are awesome. Year Of The Dragon WHOHOOOOO!

Win win yall! \o/

So no, it doesn't look like you Xbox 360 owners will be getting the new Ratchet & Clank games that you secretly covet - you do, admit it

Everyone wants Ratchet and Clank, I am proud it is staying on PS3. I can still use it as an argument with my mates.

NOOOO!!!! I read this, hoping that Ratchet and Clank would finally be appearing on the 360... And my hopes were cruelly dashed. Looks like I'm stuck with the PS2 iterations of lombax awesomness.

I like Ratchet and Clank but I don't see why everyone LOVES them. The games are good, but some of the humor in them is flat out childish and embarrassing. These are, of course, meant to be kid friendly games but it's something I've never been able to get past.

I don't really care, having both a PS3 and Xbox 360, but I'd like to see what Insomniac will do now.

I almost had a heart attack from shock reading that title!

Tharticus:
Smashing! I would like to play their Ratchet and Clank series. Something new would be good too.

Rachet and Clank IP I believe is owned by Sony, aswell as Resistance.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here