Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Warner Bros. has been sued by a German technology firm which claims the movie and television production company pirated its anti-piracy technology.

German firm Medien Patent Verwaltung claims that in 2003, it revealed a new kind of anti-piracy technology to Warner Bros. that marks films with specific codes so pirated copies can be traced back to their theaters of origin. But like a great, hilariously-ironic DRM Ouroborus, the company claims that Warner began using the system throughout Europe in 2004 but hasn't actually paid a dime for it.

"We disclosed our anti-piracy technology to Warner Bros. in 2003 at their request, under strict confidentiality, expecting to be treated fairly," the company said in a statement. "Instead, they started using our technology extensively without our permission and without any accounting to us."

Medien Patent Verwaltung originally claimed that Warner was infringing on patent 7,187,633, called "Motion Picture and Anti-Piracy Coding," but as The Hollywood Reporter discovered, the patent going by that particular name actually bears a different number and is held by none other than Warner Bros. MPV's attorney in New York acknowledged the error and said that the suit will be refiled with the proper information.

Which has no bearing on the question at hand: Is Warner Bros. using pirated anti-piracy technology? This one could be fun to watch.

Talk about being hypocritical.

I hope they get owned and pwned at this one, they fully deserve if it if the news is true. If they are trying so hard to crack US down, they deserve the same treatment. No excuses. A full blown court.

BRING IT!

I lack words to express the beauty of the irony behind this... It's... Poetic...

Cartoon Network used to be good. I would like it if they lost lots of money.

BUSTED!

The irony tastes better than pie.. lots of pie.. with blue berries...

If your anti-pirating technology was pirated, doesn't that mean that it's not really anti-pirating technology?

well thats ironic. more ironic than the time i pirated a movie about pirates

joshthor:

Same here. Just ironic isn't it? xD Twats. They go on about piracy and they go pirate themselves.

This makes me wonder if pirates can sue corporations for using their anti-DRM technology (cracks), in the real versions of games.

its about time some one calles them out for all of their crap. :)

Ha ha ha! amusing. What do you say again? A case of the kettle calling the pot black? I forget.

ohhhh the hypocrisy. Goes to show at the end of the day its all about money.

Oh this is incredible, the irony tastes so nice and juicy.

this could turn out epic :)

Oh the battle against piracy has always been purest hypocrisy. Law is always written by those in power. In a corrupt capitalistic society, those with money are those in power.

Breaking news: Microsoft sues pi for duplicating the windows source code if calculated to near infinite digits.

AHAH! god i love it when stuff like this happens.

Well, up until I read this I kept a fairly neutral stance on the entire issue. If a corporation is going to pull this bull shit then fuck 'em. Lets all download Warner Bro's movies, we'll call it Warner Day. A day of giving and receiving downloaded movies all from a corporation that can't practice what they preach. If they ain't paying, I ain't paying. It's called karma, bitch.

Funnier? Title / Picture or News Story?

I think it's a three way tie :)

Now THAT's Irony.

I can't help but feel if the morons in WBros managed to pirate this tech it's about a millionth as effective as the anti-piracy adverts.

Irony, thine loins are sweet and well nurtured.

At least, WB certainly thinks so :o

Sadly, Warner is going to win this suit because they're the huge corporation with near infinite pockets.

joshthor:

What might be more ironic is you getting a ban, because accepting piracy in these forums equals suicide.

AHHAHAHAH. Maybe that will shut them up.

On a side note: If movies and shows didn't bombard me with unskippable FBI warnings, trailers, and a bunch of other crap that I have to sort through before getting to the content, I might feel less bad about them being pirated.

Wow. The only it could be better would be if the German company also pirated the anti-piracy software. Metapiracy on so many levels...

This is about as surprising as the "twist ending" in an M. Night Shyamia-howdoyouspellit-ian movie.

In Dutch there is a saying, "Zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten" (somewhat close to "Ill doers are ill deemers") -- if this is true, Warner Bros. is guilty of theft, explaining why they apparently think they must treat all their customers like criminals in turn.

I lol'd. Take that, Warner Bros.

wow, so they are using pirate-anti-pirate tech? and they don't like US stealing their stuff? is it ok if you make alot of money from it?

The only way this could've been better would have been if the anti-pirating technology had been pirated from Pirates of the Caribbean.

This makes me smile so much! The sweet, sweet justice

My head just esploded.

The government should fine them billions for crap like this.... the public can never do as much damage to business as business can.....

Please keep us posted on this one.

Sadly, given corporate America's general lack of accountability, it's hard to say if this was an honest mistake or not.

How much are they getting sued for?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or