Critic Accuses Prince of Persia of "Whitewashing"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Cheesebob:
Isn't the Prince white in the games?

Not in the sands of time or the old school original.
In warrior within, two thrones and the new one he wasn't white, but his voice actor had an American accent. In sands of time he had a British accent for some reason.

While i didn't really like the movie i thought it made sense, the prince never really looked very persian (well he kind of did in PoP '08) and he certainly never had a persian accent so if he suddenly sprouted one in the movie it would've been a tad strange.

He does have a point, but come on, have you played that game? Casting some one with middle-eastern accent would have been kinda stupid.

Hate it when my internet makes me double post.

How many good Persian actors are there in this country? Honestly? If there are any, then yes, it is a terrible shame that they didn't hire them, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that could have pulled it off. Or any at all, for that matter. I mean, what do they expect us to do, borrow actors from Iran on a Hollywood equivalent of a foreign exchange program?

And yet, if Will Smith was cast as the next James Bond or Batman, you would be able to sail away to foreign lands on the river of tears from fans.

Lets just be honest.. they went with a white actor to portray an ethnic character because it was better than actually seeking out an ethnic actor from the region who speaks english, of which there happen to be MANY, especially if you look in Europe.

Honestly, if they could have got away with it they'd have cast Johnny Depp and we all know this is the truth...

I'm more concerned about the casting of Avatar.

So much hope crushed...

I wonder if this guy realizes the prince was originally a little brother being rotoscoped, and he was white. Then the princes voice in PoP for PS2/Xbox/GCN/PC was Dr Bashear from DS9 and he's British I think

How rude, Hollywood making a movie they way they want. They should apologise immediatly.

Did Jehanzeb Dar stop to think that maybe the reason they chose Jake Gyllenhaal for the lead role was because he was who the film makers condiered to be the best for the job?
Sure the movie would probably appear more authentic and Persian if it actually had some Persians in it.

But hey, If you don't like it don't see it.

Aw, the poor, unheard of director wants attention.

I'm getting tired of the PC brigade against films. Anyway, name a single young Iranian actor worth watching in a Hollywood film?

Prince of Persia(original PS2)- Half Persian guy with Indian persuasion. Had a British accent

Prince of Persia 2008- White guy with a very dark tan. American Accent.

This critic has not played the games.

this is an old discussion. America has always been one to not properly cast their (non american) parts. Look at Sean Connery and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Anytime you had a character with a "funny Accent' they played the parts. They have both played everything from russian to english and then some.

Yes some of that is just racist. IE Bruce Lee got the useless butler part in the green hornet and David Carradine played Kwai Chang Caine in Kung fu because american producers didn't feel that an asian man could play the part correctly.

Personally I don't know if this is racist or not. However, in my opinion, they casted the part biased on the individual actors level of being known.

This whole arguement is pretty fucking stupid - Persians ARE white.

The term "Aryan" first shows up in the Behistun Inscription in Iran and refers to the Ariya linguistic group spoken in Iran at the time.

For those of you who don't know, Persia is basically just the old name for Iran.

If someone can look the general part, then it doesn't matter.
Jake Gyllenhaal however can get away with playing a Persian however, at least to my eyes.
A Japanese person playing a Chainaman, or a Nigerian playing an East African is a different matter too :P

The Last Airbender is a different situation to this, even though people compare them:
They've raped Airbender to smitherines regarding ethnicity and skin colours etc etc.

Why do people insist on using ethnic" in such a racist way these days?

This whole arguement is pretty fucking stupid - Persians ARE white.

That's VERY arguable.
They're what the US Govt. ,for reasons unknown to logic, designate "caucasian" (as well as Indians, WTF?).
That isn't the same as white, and I doubt anyone would designate someone Middle Eastern as being white in everyday circumstances. There are a lot of racial differences between the Germanic & Celtic peoples and those more recent Middle Eastern-y decent, PC World just chooses to ignore them.

Shit it could be the Fresh damn Prince himself reppin' Bel Air and I'd still pay the money for this money and walk away with a grin.

SupabadMan:

Morty815:

Cheesebob:
Isn't the Prince white in the games?

persians are white dumbass

Persians aren't the 'white washing' Americans the independent directer was talking about.

Dumb ass.

I never said that, I simply said they are 'white'... (thinks of insulting remark) - dipshit.

I guess there will be one person happy with Jamie Foxx as Lynch then.

Khell_Sennet:

Samurai Goomba:
But on a different note, perhaps I've not read this thread very carefully (I'll admit I gave up on about page 5 after the parrotfest started up), but I've yet to see anyone mention how HORRIBLY WRONG the casting for the evil vizier is. I mean, isn't that the Jewish guy from Lucky # Sleven? He's about the whitest old guy actor around.

You're right, he is and he is. But he is also one of the rare actors who, with a bit of makeup and his exceptional talent, can con you into believing the ethnicity of his character so well, you forget who HE is, and see only the character. Some skin bronzing makeup, and we'll be thinking he's the only one in the movie who is actually from the middle east, he's that good. Sir Ben Kingsley being in Prince of Persia is, for me, one of the few actual highlights, and will probably be what convinces me to go see it even if Moviebob says it sucked.

Quite in line with the original thread topic, I can totally see Sir Ben Kingsley as a contender to play "The Mandarin" for Iron Man 3. Likely, we'll get someone like Chow Yun Fat, Jet Li, or possibly (I shudder to think of it) Jackie Chan. Now all three of them are great actors, but none of them quite have the look. Really, the ONLY part of the Mandarin's look they have is skintone, which can be faked, and the slanted eyes, also which can be faked. Great actors, right ethnicity, wrong look. To me, I'd rather have a fake Asian with the right look and talent, than a real Asian with the wrong look and the right talent. Look, and tell me if you disagree... Give Sir Kingsley a wig (obviously) and some makeup around the eyes, and we have a match people. The kind of so-obvious, so-perfect match that Sir Patrick Steward was for the role of Xavier.

Vote Sir Ben Kingsley for Mandarin - IRON MAN 3

Do you ass clowns have the slightest clue what you're talking about? Sir Ben Kingsley's real name is Krishna Bhanji , he is of Indian heritage, not Jewish, and he's not white. He's most famous for portraying Ghandi in the movie of the same name. More to the point, he was perfect for the role in which he protrayed.

I wonder, what does this guy think a persian looks like? I mean, there is no such thing as Persia anymore, nor has there been for quite some time. Aside from the fact that PoP is complete fantasy and has nothing to do with the real worls, the Persian Empire, say, has been defunct for quite a while. It's like saying that modern Italians, Greeks or Scandinavians are even remotely related to Romans, ancient Greeks or vikings. It's silly and counter productive I think.

In short, modern Iran has nothing to do, save from geography, with ancient Persia. (And people have to keep stuff like that in mind.)

This may be slightly off topic but that Avatar trailer was amazing! I hope it will be good. :)

No mention of that dumb chick from smallville playing Chun Li??
Though it probably has a crap budget and can't afford someone worth watching like Zi Zhang or whatever her name is.

I just saw Prince of Persia today, and, seeing as it was pretty damn good, I'll let it pass.

hudsonzero:
i didn't really care about the ethnicity as long as the prince goes about his jumpy platformy business

Easily this,

Though I wonder how he'll do that mirror puzzle for the new sword...

OT: Well it's been made by Americans so it will have American actors.

Jake doesn't look that different from the games Prince. There's no need to make such a fuss over this. The movie looks alright too.

The actor is casted based on his ability to act. The movie wouldn't have been better if a Persian who could not act was chosen as the lead. I was fine with Jake being the prince because he at least looks a little bit like the Prince from the game that is suppose to be the 'inspiration' of this movie. (I use the term, inspiration, loosely here as the film skips over some the of more important plot points of the game)

Race plays no part in your ability to act

Only one thing to say on this:

\ /
\ /
\_ /
these are a pair of panties
\ /
\ /
/_\
these panties are now in a twist for no good reason than someone wanting attention.

But to be honest i cant actually recall seeing a black person in the games, so... how is it whitewashing? They're just making it as accurate to the games as possible

I think MovieBob summed up my views on this. Still, the prince is adopted, which also helps.

But he's sooo hot! :P

The only reason this douche knows what this is, is because of the obvious title, if it had a title like "White man's desert adventure" he'd have no reason to be pissed. So yeah shut it you retard, at least until you know what it is you're complaining about!

hudsonzero:
i didn't really care about the ethnicity as long as the prince goes about his jumpy platformy business

couldn't of said it better myself

WrongSprite:

Andy Chalk:
"It's not only insulting to Persians, it's also insulting to white people. It's saying white people can't enjoy movies unless the protagonist is white."

Bullshit, in that case he's saying that he can't enjoy movie unless the protagonist is Persian, which is a similar train of thought. He had an English accent in the games, why not the movie? There's a stupidly big deal made over this, it's pathetic, I mean, PoP is hardly noted for it's realism, no?

No, it's saying you can't enjoy the movie unless the protagonist is accurately cast.

Although in this case, he might not be correct. A persian friend of mine explained to me recently that "persian" actually encompasses a wide range of genetic phenotypes, including people who would be considered "white" to anyone else.

Bigger question, why are people only complaining now, considering that casting has been racist for every movie everywhere for the entire history of hollywood.

The Prince in the games was white. End of story

Ang, The Last Airbender was white. End of story. Ang's friends were Inuit so rant on their live-action actors all you like.

Andy Chalk:
Critic Accuses Prince of Persia of "Whitewashing"

Independent filmmaker Jehanzeb Dar says the upcoming Jake Gyllenhaal film Prince of Persia is "insulting" because a Caucasian rather than a Persian was cast in the lead role.

It seems obvious enough that a movie entitled Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time would be about a prince, or at least a princely guy, of the Persian persuasion. But the actor playing said prince isn't Persian at all; he's a blue-eyed dude from Los Angeles named Jake. In Dar's opinion, it's a clear case of "whitewashing" - casting white actors to play ethnic characters.

"This part really needed to go to someone who's Persian," Dar said. "It's not only insulting to Persians, it's also insulting to white people. It's saying white people can't enjoy movies unless the protagonist is white."

Maz
Similar criticisms were leveled at The Last Airbender, the upcoming M. Night Shyamalan flick based on the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The original Nickelodeon series was set in an "Asian-inspired world" but three of the four principal actors in the film are white. "This is the standard procedure for Hollywood films, and it really shouldn't be," said Michael Le of Racebending.com. "It's 2010."

While there's no doubt some merit to the complaint, I think it's also fair to suggest that Gyllenhaal was given the role in large part because he's a known commodity who can carry a summer blockbuster. The Last Airbender star Jackson Rathbone may not have quite the same level of fame but he is a Twilight alumnus and that probably counts for something. Maybe there's some latent racism at work here, but I think it's safe to say that a good old-fashioned hunger for money has a lot to do with it too.

Source: Yahoo! Movies

Persians (Iranians) are Aryan (i.e. White). That's like complaining that Morgan Freeman can't play Nelson Mandela because he's not South African.

Your argument has the merits of attacking the whitewashing of The Last Airbender but Persians are ethnically ARYAN meaning WHITE.

Do research before you post or else hundreds of Escapist's will tell you how wrong you are just like they have been for the past several days.

lol after seeing Movie Bob's explanation, I can't help but chuckle seeing how Jake Gylajkdljf is half Jewish (bar mitzvah and all) sooo...
now that critic is just saying he hates Jews haha

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or