Critic Accuses Prince of Persia of "Whitewashing"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

i dont think its racist, but i would appreciate something other than white leads for almost all movies.

Haha seriously? They can cast whoever they damn well please. Just because the name is "Prince of Persia" maybe it is set in some alternate universe? You know where you can use a magical dagger to turn back time? Just saying, I think this guy is nuts, they could cast Aragorn in Lord of The Rings as black, it wouldn't matter because they don't choose the right ethnic actor, they chose the right actor. Wow.

OK. Mostly been said before, but will cover all necessary ground anyway.

ANCIENT Persia, not MODERN. THEY WERE CONSIDERED WHITE. Even Modern Persia (now officially called Iran, but Persia is sometimes used too) has a good number of fair-skinned people. The majority of the darkness of their skin comes from living in a desert.

Persian artwork (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mehmooni2.jpg) shows people with whiter skin than the Prince of Persia games.

Most important point is that it's BASED ON A GAME SERIES. What people who do mention this fact are missing, however, is that the "Sands of Time" trilogy are based around a different Prince from the one shown in the early games. Just like the Prince in the 2008 Prince of Persia game is different from both. This movie is (like the new game they're making) linked to the "Sands of Time" storyline. In which, as the several box-art screenshots have shown (here's my link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sands_of_time_cover.jpg ), the Prince is WHITER THAN IN THE MOVIE ANYWAY.

Mr. Unknown "independent" filmmaker: Do your research.

On the topic of Avatar, first article I saw about the issues there showed a shot of a very white-looking almost perfect match for the cartoon actor playing the part of Aang. I'd assumed that THIS actor (the only one pictured in the article, which made no reference more specific than "white actor cast in non-white role) was the cause of concern. Having heard nothing else of note about the film, I was understandably confused about how this image offended people. Now that I've seen shots of the actual offenders, I can REALLY see where the problem lies. Stupid news websites. They need to do their research better too.

EDIT: On "Caucasians" - here's a map of the "Caucasus Region". You know, as in "Caucasian: A person from Caucasus" - yea... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Caucasus_region_1994.jpg Pay close attention to the bottom right. That says "Iran" folks.

ACTING!

Khaiseri:

PaulH:

Khaiseri:

Cheesebob:
Isn't the Prince white in the games?

Well, not exactly, he does looks more white than actual Persians, but does not have the ethnics distinctions of Caucasian ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Prince_of_Persia_%281989_video_game%29_IBM_PC_Version_gameplay.gif

lol ... unless you're an albino, that guy is definitely 'white'. The only thing that gives him a shred of colour is that fact that his outfit is whiter than he.

HAHAHAHAHA! I LOL at that. It was supposed to be a joke, right? But whatever, I do not really know so many people that have white skin, and I definitively do not know any Persian/Asian people, so I guess I may have been wrong.

Point is with his blonde hair and caucausian skin tone if you slapped on blue eyes on that guy he'd be heralded a template for the ideal WASP (minus the protestant bit....). You'd be kinda blind to miss it.

Jehanzeb Dar is just another 'skin-head' who cares way too much about who gets cast stupid, watered-down adventure films.

Cheesebob:

Actually, when I looked at the series they seem to have made Gyllenhaal look pretty much like the prince in the games which impressed me. So yes, to a degree, he is even white-ish in the games or Gyllenhaal looks persian in the movie. Either way, I hope it doesn't suck.

obliviondoll:
ANCIENT Persia, not MODERN. THEY WERE CONSIDERED WHITE. Even Modern Persia (now officially called Iran, but Persia is sometimes used too) has a good number of fair-skinned people. The majority of the darkness of their skin comes from living in a desert.

So what? It's still a western actor playing an eastern character. This is not solely a racial matter, but also a cultural and historical one.

I didn't mind the Prince of Persia thing, because Gyllenhaal looks like the prince. The Avatar thing kinda pissed me off, though. White or not, I think being true to the source material(and acting potential) is most important. The lead in that movie looks nothing like Aang, and his one dull line in the trailer fails to impress... I've pretty much given up hope of M. Night Shamwow's movie being any good.

This entire thread, and the original statement made by the linked article, makes me want to facepalm.

He looks the part, and he had the acting ability to impress the casting director. He also has the start power to make money.

Stop crying white washing over shit that isn't white washed. This isn't a black or brown character being played by a white actor. This is a CAUCASIAN actor playing a CAUCASIAN part.

So chill out. It's getting old.

MatsVS:

obliviondoll:

So what? It's still a western actor playing an eastern character. This is not solely a racial matter, but also a cultural and historical one.

The thing is though, the Persian ethnicity originated in what would now be considered part of Europe. Then they migrated south into the Iranian Plateau around three thousand years ago.

Gyllenhaal and Cyrus the Great (founder of the first Persian Empire) could have shared a grandfather from three thousand years ago for all we know.

Oh, he can piss off. As long as the actor is good, I don't care if they are black, white, purple, or green.

EDIT: You know what, I find it offensive he believes a Caucasian can't play the Prince.

Eldritch Warlord:

MatsVS:

obliviondoll:

The thing is though, the Persian ethnicity originated in what would now be considered part of Europe. Then they migrated south into the Iranian Plateau around three thousand years ago.

Gyllenhaal and Cyrus the Great (founder of the first Persian Empire) could have shared a grandfather from three thousand years ago for all we know.

Which is clearly relevant to current socio-political aspects of the discussion in question.

Cheesebob:

He is absolutely pasty in the original game. And blond too.

So yeah... Persian, right. Suspending disbelief in 3...

WrongSprite:

Andy Chalk:
"It's not only insulting to Persians, it's also insulting to white people. It's saying white people can't enjoy movies unless the protagonist is white."

Bullshit, in that case he's saying that he can't enjoy movie unless the protagonist is Persian, which is a similar train of thought. He had an English accent in the games, why not the movie? There's a stupidly big deal made over this, it's pathetic, I mean, PoP is hardly noted for it's realism, no?

thank you! i was hoping other people noticed that.

good god toss the racism out the window on this one, especially while in the games he not only looked like an average white guy he had the accent for one too

do they even base the games in persia???

I won't bother reading 7 pages of what I'm going to assume are race arguments. Instead, I'll take this little spot on the board as a chance to say that I actually see their issue, and I empathize. Many of you are probably way too young to remember (hell even I am... almost) but Kirk Douglass played a Native American in a movie once, in fact if you look back on movies made in the 60s-70s you'll find that many races/nationalities were depicted, rather rediculously, by white guys.

Kirk donned brown makeup, as did his co-star and leading lady, accentuating this absurdity was his chiseled jaw, cleft chin, and other very caucasian features, even bright blue eyes. John Wayne, in 1958, played Genghis Khan. In 1931 Warner Oland (Swedish) played a Chinese man named Charlie Chan.

This isn't anything new, but it is rather silly, and it is a bit racist. I can get wanting to cast the better actor for the role, but what if Ororo Munroe had been played by, say, Natalie Portman in blackface?

And before anyone get's testy, I know Eddie Murphy did it a lot, but his work was characterizing and comedy, not drama, or action, or anything that could be construed as "srs business".

I just want the actor to appropriately fill the role that they are cast for. I really don't care otherwise.

HuddledMass:
Michael Clarke Duncan played the Kingpin in Daredevil ... is that racist towards whites ? If a movie came out about a video game or comic book that had a Persian actor playing a white character I'm they would see it as inspiring ... grow up people... no one cares ... and in the end "no one caring" is what everyone wants right ?

i completely forgot about this! thank you for reminding me, i personally did not care that he played kingpin, i was a bit in shock as i did not see him signing up for the role, but i was perfectly fine with it

BarbaricGoose:
No one ever complains about Blackwashing.. Like when Samuel L. Jackson was cast as Nick Fury?

idk if this was answered yet. as there are 7 pages of shit i am not really up to reading, but in the (originals or not) nick fury was black, i can't remember if it was the original or not, but for a long time he was black. so they have a legitamate point in picking a black male

either way i dont care, as long as he plays the part good.

I hate when people blow things out of proportion. Besides, its not some historical movie, its a video game movie.
Now if they make a RE5 movie and all the enemies are white, then Id say somethings up, but then again, people got mad cause african zombies were black in the game.

There's no such thing as "persians" anymore. People who call themselves "persian" are just Iranians too scared to reveal their heritage for fear of racist/xenophobic backlash (a reasonable fear in this day and age, I guess). Or just douchebags. So whatever.
Also it's a dumbass movie based on a video game. Who the hell cares? It's not like it's ever going in to the annals of time as an example of great cinema. It will be forgotten about within a year, so why bother making a big stink?
Why not complain about the fact that the entire cast uses really bad fake British accents the whole time too? How does that make any sense?
For that matter, why aren't these douchebags getting up in arms about the Karate Kid remake, which stars Jackie Chan and takes place in fucking CHINA, neither of which have anything to do with KARATE.

Ever realize the series is made by an American, and this particular game was made by French Canadians. There's quite a diverse production aprty in it, but people can't enjoy it unless the political correctness bell is properly rang in our ear.

This moron's entire argument is undermined by the fact that PERSIA NO LONGER EXISTS and therefore makes finding a Persian actor IMPOSSIBLE.

Dear that guy:

WHITE POWER MUTHA FUCKER!! Haha, IN YO FACE!!!

MatsVS:

Eldritch Warlord:

MatsVS:

obliviondoll:

Which is clearly relevant to current socio-political aspects of the discussion in question.

It's very relevant to a discussion about someone complaining about a white guy playing an ancient Persian, because an ancient Persian would be a white guy. I know that's not exactly common knowledge but it's been said on every page of this thread besides the first.

The simple and obvious fact of the matter is that this is not whitewashing, this is just good casting.

Daveman:

SteelStallion:

Andy Chalk:

While there's no doubt some merit to the complaint, I think it's also fair to suggest that Gyllenhaal was given the role in large part because he's a known commodity who can carry a summer blockbuster.

What? Jake isn't known at all, he's only been a supporting actor in a few movies. He's never carried a lead role in a significant movie, let alone a summer blockbuster.

Dude. Donnie Darko, Jarhead, Brokeback Mountain, Zodiac, The Day after Tomorrow. That's five I count.

10 people have quoted me on this fixing my mistake, I get it already guys. Jeez :(

Okay. I'm guesses this isn't malicious though. I'm going to say white privilege and execs not even seeing there blunder and leave it at that.

Nomaic:
This moron's entire argument is undermined by the fact that PERSIA NO LONGER EXISTS and therefore makes finding a Persian actor IMPOSSIBLE.

Chuckles, "Yep, next we will need real Navi if they make another Avatar since CG them like that put them all out of work for the film."

Well considering that the Prince isn't really of royal blood, and in fact adopted, he doesn't need to be Persian.

That said, I too sort of thought about this when I watched the movie, but then I thought:
Well how many really good Persian actors are there in the US?

Sure there might not be that many, because they are never cast for big roles... but then again Jake Gyllenhal looks the part if you ask me.

I feel that jake wasent the best guy to cast for the movie anyway im trying to think of a movie where he was actually good in it...donnie darko is the only one which comes to mind.

Aaaaaactually, I kinda agree with this argument. Casting a white actor for a Persian character would be like replacing Jackie Chan in Rush Hour with Chuck Norris. (Please, no Chuck Norris jokes you uneducated, dickwashed jerk-offs. You know who the hell you are.)

Honestly, I do kinda hate when they do something like this. Admittedly, it's partially because such actors are hard (if not impossible) to come by. It's understandable if you're hiring...say...a Chinese actor to play a Japanese part, for instance. It's not exactly the same, but it's fairly close (apologies to both examples). They could have at least hired someone in the general ethnic group, instead of using white-y.

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know, if you look carefully, even though their skin tone is wrong, their facial features are correct.

Who cares if he's white? Truth is that part of the North American audience spends the most money and if Hollywood thinks they need a white actor, well it's their money and their film.

Kiju:
They could have at least hired someone in the general ethnic group, instead of using white-y.

I hate to say this but a lot of the really good actors might also have a think accent. While some people don't mind a lot of people find accents hard to track, thus making the film less popular. I wouldn't mind if they got that fellow who played Sayid from lost but it is what it is...

anthony87:
According to the OP I should be insulted.

I'm not.

Interesting..........

Neither am I. This is very interesting indeed. I'm going to reserve any opinions I have on whether Jake's participation in this movie has a negative or positive effect until I see it.

It's not based on real life persian culture, it's based on a videogame. And the guy in the videogame was white, so that seems like perfect casting to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here