Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Technology Company

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Apple Passes Microsoft as Most Valuable Technology Company

According to market values, Apple's hand-held tech is worth much more than Microsoft's software.

It only took a few decades, but Microsoft is no longer the top technology company around. According to estimated market value yesterday, Apple managed to overtake the corporation behind Windows and our beloved Xbox 360s. At the closing of the stock market yesterday, Microsoft was estimated to be worth $219.18 billion while Apple was worth slightly more at $222.12 billion.

This is a massive change of fortune for Apple, which nearly died an ignoble death in the mid-90s thanks to its dire finances. Things started to change when Steve Jobs came back to the company in 1996, when things began to turn around and Apple started putting out computers and devices that people actually wanted to buy again.

The secret to Apple's success is two-fold. On one hand, its computers are certainly selling very well, but twice as much revenue is coming in from its various handheld devices. According to Wired, nearly 200,000 iPads alone are being sold each week, which is more than the number of Mac computers moved from stores.

Granted, this could be a temporary change in the rankings, but it certainly is significant since Microsoft has managed to hold onto the top spot for so long simply because it has become the status quo for the vast majority of computer users. Apple, on the other hand, is constantly working to increase its momentum in the technology markets by releasing new/improved products on a regular basis. As the New York Times explained, "Apple is in a constant battle to one-up itself."

Part of the position change is also due to the fact that Microsoft has lost roughly half of its value since 2000. At least some of the blame for this has been assigned by experts to the various struggles the company has faced with its efforts to be a part of the gaming/consoles, music players, mobile phones, and search engine markets. That said, roughly 90% of users still operate Windows computers and over 500 million people use Microsoft Office software.

While Apple isn't commenting on the shift, Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer doesn't seem openly concerned about it. "No technology company on the planet is more profitable than we are," he said when he was asked about it while visiting India to tout Microsoft's cloud-computing technology.

Source: New York Times

I knew I should've bought stocks instead of a stupid iPod 8 years ago. Damn!

CRAP! This is bad, I don't like Apple's policies at all.

"Sure you want this? It's $500, now let's tell you what we are going to allow you to do with it.
Wait, you think YOU get to decide? HA! It's not like you OWN it or anything!"

vansau:

The secret to Apple's success is two-fold. On one hand, its computers are certainly selling very well, but twice as much revenue is coming in from its various handheld devices. According to Wired, nearly 200,000 iPads alone are being sold each week, which is more than the number of Mac computers moved from stores.

I find that kind of depressing.

On-Topic: I didn't really realise that Apple was that big. Good for them.

Meh. Apple's still is still pretty bad.

On the other hand, the most relevant part was seeing the Microsoft chart: Under Bill Gates as CEO - Permanent Rising; Under Ballmer as CEO - Permanent drop.

Come on Ballmer, get with the program.

Caliostro:
Meh. Apple's still is still pretty bad.

On the other hand, the most relevant part was seeing the Microsoft chart: Under Bill Gates as CEO - Permanent Rising; Under Ballmer as CEO - Permanent drop.

Come on Ballmer, get with the program.

Just cause Gates retired doesn't mean he still doesn't have stakes in the company. I guarantee that Gates went and raised 9 kinds of hell at Microsoft HQ when he found out about this.

This is stock value, not market share. Stock value is fairly meaningless to a company's operations.
90% of comps still use Microsoft. Nothing's changed except people's perceptions.

So basically the news here is the iPod, iPhone, and iPads are making a lot of money. Shocking.

They are very profitable because they over charge for everything and have a marketing department so powerful that it can convince people to thank them for it.

we did it! seriously though, apple knows how to sell stuff. That's all you need.

Stocks mean nothing to me. I think there are still some of us that remember Bre-X.

EDIT: Damn enter key.

Anyways, like I meant to say, a higher stock value doesn't necessitate a better product, just a better selling one. I'll take my Microsoft computer any day of the week thank you very much.

Crap, this is sad... I hate Apple crap so much... Every 8 months they make all thier other products obsolete.
This pretty much is my opinion of Apple and thier Fanboys.
(Yes,they don't make anything but Software and Hardware and the have Fanboys)

danpascooch:

"Sure you want this? It's $500, now let's tell you what we are going to allow you to do with it.

Yes microsoft never does anything like that.That's why they split each OS into 5 versions (each full price),had older versions of windows crash if you deleted internet explorer and make random files you downloaded undeleteable for no reason at all.

Aeshi:

danpascooch:

Yes microsoft never does anything like that.That's why they split each OS into 5 versions (each full price),had older versions of windows crash if you deleted internet explorer and make random files you downloaded undeleteable for no reason at all.

Well, since Microsoft did some bad things Apple must be great.

Flawless logic there.

Lesser of two evils my friend.I'd like to point out that that could be applied to your post.

Did you guys know that Gates had the idea for an Ipadesce device years ago and ballmer told him it would never sell.....that said Star Trek DS9 had ipads back in the 90's

That's nice, call me when the majority of the people are using them.

Then, and only then, I'll be impressed.

90% of users still use windows? somehow I doubt that....that kind of market value doesn't come from a secondary product like handhelds.

Well, I guess that Ballmer is right about the profits from windows and office being huge but no doubt that is "priced into the stock" as they say which is why they are well valued and fairly stable. Apple, at the moment, are really good at breaking into new markets and actually making money which is why their stock is going up. Only time will tell if they are overvalued or not and I would guess that if they can't follow up the iPad then their stock will fall.

Just my simple minded interpretation anyway.

Aeshi:
Lesser of two evils my friend.I'd like to point out that that could be applied to your post.

He never mentions microsoft at all, he just says he doesn't like apples policies.

I hate apple, I detest them, I loath them, they are their fans are the most rabid pack of hyenas on the earth... they business practices make Microsoft at it's worse look like saints, but I think this is a good thing both for the IT industry as a whole and Microsoft itself.

Look at the last 15 years of Windows for an example Microsoft mirrored the Star Trek movie rule, they'd put out a great OS and then bang next time they'd put out a piece of pure crap, Windows 98 then Windows ME, Windows XP then Windows Vista... With every success they got lazy and it wasn't until their customers shit a brick over the crappy product did they pull their heads out and start producing good stuff again, only to get lazy all over again.

Without a viable alternative on the market (don't you dare say Linux or I'll hunt you down and harm you) that was just the way of things, but with competitions making them fight for their supper they can't afford to be lazy any more, so this is a good thing for the consumer and definitely a good thing for Microsoft.

I'm still waiting for Apple to take that one step over the line that not even their hipster fanboies can forgive, and they will, pride goeth before a fall.

oranger:
90% of users still use windows? somehow I doubt that....that kind of market value doesn't come from a secondary product like handhelds.

You would think that, but Nintendo survived both the N64 and GCN eras from the strength of its handhelds. Almost everyone has bought into the iPod crave at some time in their life, ignoring all other alternatives because "iPods are quality products and they're Apple so they must be good". The fact is that the iPod has pretty much become THE portable music player, just like the Gameboy used to be THE portable gaming device. You might not be able to convince people to run out and buy brand new Apple computers with a $1500-$2000 pricepoint, but you can certainly convince them to buy a shiny new music player every couple of years for $200-500.

And none of this takes in account the iPhone and the notebook computer markets, both of which are utilized by a startlingly large portion of college students.

Well you can't blame Apple. They innovate alot, sure they have shitty policies but their marketing and production department are handling things very well.

cabooze:
we did it!

We? Do you work for Apple or something?

I'm still waiting for the news article about Apple changing its name to Skynet.

Just you wait...

oranger:

Sure doesn't come from the sale of OSX licenses - you can get one of those for like 20.

danpascooch:

Heh sounds like most first day releases of a new Windows OS...if you notice you only lease the software. Upgraded to much at one time? We'll freeze your key...

Why people hack the crap out of devices now a days...

Not really surprising at all. I know loads of people with iPhones and loads of people have iPods. The exam sign at my school even has a message saying "No mp3/4 players or iPods". I thought they were the same thing.

They still haven't really broken into the computer market though. The only people I know with Macs are art/music students and rich kids.

Microsoft still most profitable overall though. However with this news s sign of changing times perhaps?

Hubilub:
I'm still waiting for the news article about Apple changing its name to Skynet.

Just you wait...

You do realise Skynet is the name of the UKs military communications satellite network?

From wiki

Skynet is a family of military satellites, now operated by Paradigm Secure Communications on behalf of the UK Ministry of Defence, which provide strategic communication services to the three branches of the British Armed Forces and to NATO forces engaged on coalition tasks.

Most valuable? Let make an experiment:

1) Let's hypothetically remove Apple and all its products from the entire world in an instant.

2) Now let's do the same thing with Microsoft and its products.

Which one caused the near-collapse of civilization as we now it?

danpascooch:

This was my exact thought when I saw the thread title.
Anyways, I don't really like Apple, but I can't really hate on a company for doing well.
I just kinda wish it wasn't,you know, Apple.

Carlston:

danpascooch:

Heh sounds like most first day releases of a new Windows OS...if you notice you only lease the software. Upgraded to much at one time? We'll freeze your key...

Why people hack the crap out of devices now a days...

Are you saying Apple is good because Microsoft is bad? You realize that doesn't make sense right?

Nice.

I use both Apple products and I run Windows XP and it's nice to see Apple is catching up. Maybe the days when Apple users get burned into the ground when they mention they own an Apple computer will be over in a few years.

And if it won't, atleast this might bring more competition for Microsoft, and competition is always a good thing.

From first thread:

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or