FarmVille and Nintendo Virtual Boy Labeled Worst Inventions Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

FarmVille and Nintendo Virtual Boy Labeled Worst Inventions Ever

Time Magazine believes that FarmVille is as bad an invention as the hydrogen blimp.

The videogame industry has made it into a feature over at Time called the "50 Worst Inventions." Joining the list alongside hydrogenated oils, chlorofluorocarbons, asbestos, sub-prime mortgages, and Crocs are are both FarmVille and the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

The Virtual Boy, released in 1995, was sort of what we all thought the future of entertainment would look like as a form of virtual reality goggles connected to a controller, but it didn't really feel like the future at all. The red-goggle console made the list thanks to its expensive $180 price and small 14 game library in the U.S. (22 in Japan). The Virtual Boy is best known for its monochromatic red graphical display and for making gamers feel a little woozy after playing over long long periods of time.

As for FarmVille... do we really have to go into FarmVille? Time labels the game as a series of "mindless chores on a digital farm," and it'd be hard to find anyone that would disagree, even those who love the game and play on a daily basis. Assuming someone reading this hasn't heard of it, FarmVille is a game accessed through Facebook that is a series of mindless chores on a digital farm. It's gotten a bad rap with developer Zynga's CEO admitting he was a scammer, but that hasn't stopped it from becoming so popular that it's now bleeding into the real world. It looks cute and cuddly, but FarmVille was officially created by the devil, making it a worthy addition to Time's list.

I would dispute that the Virtual Boy was as bad an invention as one responsible for the erosion of the Earth's ozone layer, for America's obesity epidemic, or the crash of the U.S. economy, but it was pretty unsuccessful, sure. On the other hand, Time hit the nail on the head with FarmVille. It's great to see the videogame industry getting more coverage in the mainstream press, but perhaps not as much in articles like these, which no doubt only drove more players into the trough of virtual farming.

Source: Time

MMMMMMMMMMM. Justice.

Everyone knows the Virtual Boy is bad, but too many people think Farmville is a real game.

Thank you Time Magazine, for helping set the world straight and FIGHT OFF ZYNGA!

danpascooch:
Everyone knows the Virtual Boy is bad, but too many people think Farmville is a real game.

Thank you Time Magazine, for helping set the world straight and FIGHT OFF ZYNGA!

I'm not sure FarmVille counts as a game.

It's more of a "click'n'forget" time-passer/time-sink combo.

katsabas:
MMMMMMMMMMM. Justice.

Apollo?

Anyway... If farmville can be labeled as "the worst invention ever" then I think it's safe to call World of Warcraft the "worst RPG ever."

Farmville isn't awful... It's a game. It's a game where you do the same repetitive tasks day in and day out for money and valuable rewards in the game. You know... Like an MMO.

Abedeus:

Same could be said for a lot of MMORPGs.

Abedeus:

danpascooch:

exactly but people don't realize that, and they need to.

Abedeus:

This describes approximately 99% of all MMOs I've ever seen, which makes it sound hypocritical at best...

That said, "worst inventions" in what way? I despise FarmVille, but I can't argue that it accomplishes what it sets out to do: lure people in and keep them playing like crack addicts. Despite being an horrible piece of crap, can we really say it's unsuccessful?

If we're talking quality alone, I'd toss pretty much everything Nintendo has touched for the past 10 years or so right at the top of the list. Particularly the Wii. Yet, If we're talking success as simply "reaching their goals", I can't deny they're successful.

Ugh, I can imagine what the flameboys of Zynga will say about this

"TIME? WTF THATS LIEK AN OLD PEPL ZINE! OLD STINKEY WEENERS WHO DONT EVEN PLA GAEMS! I MENE WTF!"

+4 Faith In Humanity.

Just remember that Time got hacked by Anonymous to put the creator of 4chan in the list of greatest people who ever lived

...really they put virtual boy above ozone eaters and economy trashers? Really?

At the risk of defending the Virtual Boy, FarmVille is as much a game as my ability to draw is on par with Alex Ross.

You know, while I may hate FarmVille with the burning fury of 1000 suns I can't help but look at your description of it and have it remind me of another successful franchise of games that is held in a much higher light of respect

FarmVille is a game accessed through Facebook that is a series of mindless chores on a digital farm.

If you thought "Hey, that sounds like Harvest Moon" then award yourself +1 internetz.

So I'm left with the question, why is it that we hate FarmVille, but embrace Harvest Moon? (granted one isn't associated with a lying scamming scum bag of a CEO) They're essentially the same concept just delivered via different mediums.

Jbird:
At the risk of defending the Virtual Boy, FarmVille is as much a game as my ability to draw is on par with Alex Ross.

Is that link intentionally a 404 error?

If it is, it's hilarious.

Freddy would disagree
"You forgot the powerglove!"

Burst6:

Jbird:

Is that link intentionally a 404 error?

If it is, it's hilarious.

I fixed it, but I feel as though I shouldn't have =D

KeyMaster45:
You know, while I may hate FarmVille with the burning fury of 1000 suns I can't help but look at your description of it and have it remind me of another successful franchise of games that is held in a much higher light of respect

FarmVille is a game accessed through Facebook that is a series of mindless chores on a digital farm.

If you thought "Hey, that sounds like Harvest Moon" then award yourself +1 internetz.

So I'm left with the question, why is it that we hate FarmVille, but embrace Harvest Moon? (granted one isn't associated with a lying scamming scum bag of a CEO) They're essentially the same concept just delivered via different mediums.

Sure, if Harvest Moon was REALLY just about that. Havest Moon often invests in narratives though, whether the paper-thin "save the family farm' deal, or stories about reuniting fathers and daughters, saving baby ducks or just two people falling in love. Also, sometimes magic.

Oh, and Harvest Moon will kick your sorry ass. It puts actual obstacles in front of you.

Personally I find the games atrocious, but Harvest Moon has way more meat from an entertainment perspective.

Do I even have to say it?

And I hope Penis Pincus feels this one.

Tom Goldman:

I would dispute that the Virtual Boy was as bad an invention as one responsible for the erosion of the Earth's ozone layer, for America's obesity epidemic, or the crash of the U.S. economy

Trust me, 13 released games and more eyestrain then that caused by looking directly into the sun is worthy of this list.

tsu-money:

Abedeus:

Same could be said for a lot of MMORPGs.

You have probably never played DDO, i'm so sorry for you.

OT: Thank god they mentioned Farmville in this list. Now i can show it to my mom, and hope she stops playing it. =(

danpascooch:

Abedeus:

danpascooch:

exactly but people don't realize that, and they need to.

Caliostro:

Abedeus:

This describes approximately 99% of all MMOs I've ever seen, which makes it sound hypocritical at best...

That said, "worst inventions" in what way? I despise FarmVille, but I can't argue that it accomplishes what it sets out to do: lure people in and keep them playing like crack addicts. Despite being an horrible piece of crap, can we really say it's unsuccessful?

If we're talking quality alone, I'd toss pretty much everything Nintendo has touched for the past 10 years or so right at the top of the list. Particularly the Wii. Yet, If we're talking success as simply "reaching their goals", I can't deny they're successful.

I am first to agree with those statements. PvE in most of the MMORPGs, maybe except for Champions Online (quests upon quests upon quests) and City of Heroes/Villains (task forces, saving the city/destroying the city), is:

1. Grind two-three levels.
2. Sell loot, buy new equipment.
3. Grind more.
4. Buy equipment.
5. Grind...

So, basically, it's Diablo 2, but more boring, with slower pace of gameplay, pretending it's more than just killing monsters over and over.

Wow... you know, the whole hard-core vs casual gamers thing stopped being cool when I realized how stupid it was. Too bad most of the world hasn't realized that apparently...

Phf.

The times article is stupid. First of all, every video game can be described as random button pressing for a virtual... whatever. I've never played farmville, but I have a sneaking suspicion people only hate it because so many other people love it.

A good invention does what its suppose to do. A great invention does what its suppose to do and is very popular. A fantastic invention does what it's suppose to do, is very popular, and doesn't end up giving its users freaky cancer-like diseases.

Somehow farmville does what it does successfully enough to draw in the crowds (and I'd say about 3/4 of CEOs are lying scamming scumbags so that doesn't really fit into it), and it doesn't have any ill effects that other popular games don't have.

The fact that it's Time makes people think this is a real story. This is a stupid and sad reminder that print media keeps scraping at the lowest common denominator as it uses cheap "I Love the 80's" style lists to substitute for actual content.

I mean, the list includes Honegar, something no one would have heard of if not for the internet. This isn't a story. It's some lazy writer copy and pasting various bits and pieces from various internet sources, forming a list and slapping the Time label on it.

How can Farmville or Crocs be in a list along with un-things like honegar and the baby cage also be with Agent Orange or CFCs without the reader assuming it's a lame attempt at humor mixed in with some very serious things.

Granted, if it was a humor piece honestly trying to say Farmville was similar to Agent Orange, that would be another thing, but it's not. I can just picture people unfamiliar with internet culture reading this and thinking its a real thing...

I am confuzzled. WoW is just as bad as Farmville, and the Virtual boy has some fun games.

Take a bow, Nintendo and Zynga, you won honors in the "Worst Inventions Ever" awards.

I agree worst inventions ever

really the worst inventions ever mabe most worthless invention ever (high five myself for a terrible pun) but seriesly i can think of a few much worse

1 windowless vans
2 zepplins
3 aids( the gov'ment made it)
4 that pop up that yells omg no way and seems to only happen when you alone and thought the sound was off
5 the word redonculous (stares angrily at splunkers)
6 any hardcore drug like meth or heroine
7 battletoads for the nes (make me sink 8 days of my summer vacation trying to beet you and you end up on my shit list)
8 the snuggie
9 high poluting power plants
10 ponzie schemes
there top ten worst inventions ever fired that out in like a min alll worse then the virtual boy and farmville

Time you've consistently fallen down on the job, first letting 4chan have its way with you and now saying that Farmville and Virtual Boy are worse than things like Styrofoam, CFCs, and Zyklon B. Are you going to ever get back to being responsible journalists or are you just going to let /b/tards run you.

katsabas:
MMMMMMMMMMM. Justice.

Yeah, I mean, Farmville makes millions but being put in some article by a bunch of good-for-nothings as a bad invention will have the creators crying themselves to sleep at night.

Go sweet justice.....

I dont even think we got the Virtual Boy over here.

Must of been terrible.

katsabas:
MMMMMMMMMMM. Justice.

My thoughts exactly. It's the small victories, right?

the worst invention ever is Justin beiber. he's so bad he takes all 10 spots.

You know what? I think we're doing alright when a video game console can be labeled as one of the fifty worst inventions in the history of our species. That says we're doing pretty good most of the time.

Finally Farmville's suckishness has been written of in a popular magazine. Yay!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here