Patrick Stewart Receives Knighthood

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Patrick Stewart Receives Knighthood

The classically trained actor Patrick Stewart, who has played such notable characters as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Professor Xavier, has received a knighthood.

You might think that being a starship captain or a professor is good going, but why settle, when you can grab a knighthood as well? Patrick Stewart, famous for playing Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Charles Xavier in the X-Men movies, was knighted in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace yesterday.

Sir Patrick, said that it had been an "unlooked-for honor", but that finding himself amongst the ranks of personal heroes such as Sir Laurence Olivier and Sir John Gielgud was the high point of his career. "The knights of the theater represented to me not only the pinnacle of the profession but the esteem in which the profession was held. To find myself, to my astonishment, in that company is the grandest thing that has professionally happened to me."

Sir Patrick - and it's going to be a long time before typing that stops being exciting - also paid tribute to the English teacher that had first encouraged him to perform, saying that he owed "literally everything" to the man: "Although many people in my life have had great influence on me, without this man none of it would have happened."

Source: BBC

Terry Pratchett, Patrick Stewart... so who's the next awesome Brit to become a knight?

Positive feelings aside, I'm practically vomiting with envy.

Make it so.

/salute Sir Locutus of Borg.

(Hell's teeth: If there was an X-men 4, you'd have two Sirs (or one Sir/one Dame) squaring off against each other, in Shakespearean. Awesome.)

Its been a longtime coming for Sir Stewart! Finally taken his honour alongside his old friend Sir McKellen!

Good for him!

Wait a minute...Wasn't he already knighted? Is this an upgrade? Does he get a huge-ass lance? Why am I wearing a Next Gen Star Fleet uniform? What is going on!?!

D:

Okay, so now Star Trek has a knight in it's pocket too. Well, until Liam Neeson gets knighted...

Fucking finally... it has taken WAY too long for this epic man to be recognised.

I made this thread yesterday, regardless, Sir Stewart deserves it. He's a great actor and voice actor, very rarely is someone great at both.

GLORIOUS

He deseves it, he is an astounding actor, on stage and on screen!

Jbird:
Wait a minute...Wasn't he already knighted? Is this an upgrade?

I could have sworn I heard he'd been knighted a while ago too... hmm. Assuming that's not true, what am I remembering? Blast my wretched memory, blast it I say!

KwaggaDan:
Okay, so now Star Trek has a knight in it's pocket too. Well, until Liam Neeson gets knighted...

Wait, is that a Star Trek vs. Star Wars comment? Uh...Sir Alec Guinness...the original Obi-Wan?

Legend has it that his Voice can Lower and raise the tides.

The_root_of_all_evil:
/salute Sir Locutus of Borg.

"From this time forward you will service uz" =P

Wtf... I always thought he had a knighthood before this :O

Gildan Bladeborn:

Jbird:
Wait a minute...Wasn't he already knighted? Is this an upgrade?

I could have sworn I heard he'd been knighted a while ago too... hmm. Assuming that's not true, what am I remembering? Blast my wretched memory, blast it I say!

Steve5513:
Wtf... I always thought he had a knighthood before this :O

Jbird:
Wait a minute...Wasn't he already knighted? Is this an upgrade? Does he get a huge-ass lance? Why am I wearing a Next Gen Star Fleet uniform? What is going on!?!

D:

It was announced late last year that he would be knighted, it's now official.

'Bout damn time. It says a lot for his talent as an actor and his general reputation when everyone is just surprised that he didn't already have one.

Nice one Jean-Luc - throughly deserve it.

Hey, I was reading this thing about Christopher Lee, has he been knighted?

Cause he ruled in WW2

Uhhh, isn't this like, really old news?

I always figured he'd make Admiral first...

I am doing my very hardest to think of a "proper" post, with content, showing admiration and praise without sounding fanboy-ish, well thought-out, perhaps with a witty note as well, but since I cannot seem to find the words I will simply convey my opinion of and reaction to this news as follows:

YES.

Someone had to post this.

Sir Patrick is awesome.

Been a long time coming.

Too bad he never got that script off the ground.

SomeBoredGuy:
*snip*

God damn it! You fucking ninjas!

It's about time. The man has the voice of a God!

Kirk would beat Picard in a fight, but Picard would talk him out of it first.

;-)

Wasn't this announced a month or more ago?

Heh, just look at how many of you addressed him by his Star Trek name. Kinda ironic that hell be remembered most for being a starship captain, isn't it?
Congrats, Sir Patrick! Keep up the good work!

I love what he said here, too. He just oozes sheer class. I wonder if anybody saw him and David Tennant in Hamlet over Christmas last year. It almost blew my mind from the sheer amount of awesomeness.

That and the Extras episode. I don't think he'd need telepathic abilities to make most women's clothes fall off.

All I can say to this: About time.

i loved his voice over from Nausica, and of course Picard has no equal as captain (Maybe sisko, but i digress)

And of course, Uriel Septim needs no knightly title, but lets give it to him anyway :)

Nice, he really deserves that honor. Kudos to you Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Abedeus:
Terry Pratchett, Patrick Stewart... so who's the next awesome Brit to become a knight?

Fingers crossed for Steven Fry.

Stephen Fry's Apple-loving ways disturb me a little but he is so awesome in every other way that I can forgive him this one vice.

P.S. That means I agree. :D

Well-deserved, certainly. The man is all kinds of awesome.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here