Patrick Stewart Receives Knighthood

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

That's going to be a problem when he's drunk. "That's SIR Captain Professor Stewart to you!"

Well deserved though. Many congratulations to him.

This proves it: Picard >> Kirk

Oh being a knight is nothing, I mean he was already emperor of Cyrodil...
Ot: nice.

can someone explain what the Knighthood means and where it came from? Cause im terribly confused on what just happened

Well played sir, well played.

Seriously, Stewart is one of my favourite actors, he totally deserves this knighthood.

So now he's Sir Professor Captain Patrick Luc Xavier?

I love Patrick Stewart, erm, SIR Patrick Stewart, and I couldn't be happier for him. If I had to name a favorite actor, this guy would win, hands down.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the win!
(He was the voice of Uriel Septim VII)

Gildan Bladeborn:

Jbird:
Wait a minute...Wasn't he already knighted? Is this an upgrade?

I could have sworn I heard he'd been knighted a while ago too... hmm. Assuming that's not true, what am I remembering? Blast my wretched memory, blast it I say!

He was told he was going to be knighted a while ago, he only actually received the knighthood from the Queen yesterday.

Picard > Kirk Ohhhhh somebody beat me to it oh well. It's worth repeating. *sniff* I learned so much from Captain Picard.

SomeBoredGuy:
Someone had to post this.

Sir Patrick is awesome.

Oh God, that was hilarious.

- Is there any nudity in it?
- Any?
- Nudity.
- Not really.
- *sadface*
- There could be.
- *eyebrow up*

I would call him sir without it, you don't talk to Patrick Stewart as if he is one of us common folk. (Though I do hate titles, aristocracy, monarchy and all the trappings they involve.)

He deserves it. His acting skills are just superb and he always had this classy look which totally combines flawlessy with his newly obtained Knighthood.

Picard, keep the facepalming up!

Ooohrah!

First knighthood, then Emperor Stewart.
Do they still give out fiefs to knights?

Sir Patrick Stewart is just oozing of amazing, of course.

Good on you, Patrick! You wholly deserve it all!

Finally! It's about time..

Can this man get any more awesome?

shaboinkin:
can someone explain what the Knighthood means and where it came from? Cause im terribly confused on what just happened

Purely honourary, it's part of the system that the British Empire / United Kingdom has used to recognise its most distinguished citizens for centuries now. The titles are primarily feudal relics. As I recall knighthood is the step beyond OBE (Officer of the British Empire) and CBE (Commander - this is why James Bond is sometimes referenced in the stories as Commander Bond, as he had a CBE).

PipBoy2000:
Can this man get any more awesome?

Well, he could get a peerage, which is the next step beyond and would give him a seat in the House of Lords. Because if Sir Patrick Stewart is awesome, Lord Patrick Stewart would be a Crowning Moment of Awesome. (Lord Stewart, Baron of Enterprise?)

Wasn't he nasty evil man in the Thunderbirds film too? Anyway, well done him.

Abedeus:
Terry Pratchett, Patrick Stewart... so who's the next awesome Brit to become a knight?

Positive feelings aside, I'm practically vomiting with envy.

Wait... Terry Pratchett became a knight? When did this happen? How did I not notice?

Uncompetative:
Kirk would beat Picard in a fight, but Picard would talk him out of it first.

;-)

As a fan of Kirk's, I salute you since that sounds about right. *salutes* Very happy for Sir Patrick.... Wow, I almost typed Picard. >_>

Sabrestar:
Well, he could get a peerage, which is the next step beyond and would give him a seat in the House of Lords. Because if Sir Patrick Stewart is awesome, Lord Patrick Stewart would be a Crowning Moment of Awesome. (Lord Stewart, Baron of Enterprise?)

LORD Patrick Stuart? Oh my. You win.

Sabrestar:
[Well, he could get a peerage, which is the next step beyond and would give him a seat in the House of Lords. Because if Sir Patrick Stewart is awesome, Lord Patrick Stewart would be a Crowning Moment of Awesome. (Lord Stewart, Baron of Enterprise?)

Make it so!

theSovietConnection:

Sabrestar:
[Well, he could get a peerage, which is the next step beyond and would give him a seat in the House of Lords. Because if Sir Patrick Stewart is awesome, Lord Patrick Stewart would be a Crowning Moment of Awesome. (Lord Stewart, Baron of Enterprise?)

Make it so!

I have to agree, this would kick so much I might actually go blind from it and I'm not even close to being a fan of Trek at all. Damn I love that man and his voice though, sheer awesomeness in one person.

Great that they've done this, Patrick Steward really deserves it.

Tharwen:
Wasn't he nasty evil man in the Thunderbirds film too? Anyway, well done him.

Abedeus:
Terry Pratchett, Patrick Stewart... so who's the next awesome Brit to become a knight?

Positive feelings aside, I'm practically vomiting with envy.

Wait... Terry Pratchett became a knight? When did this happen? How did I not notice?

Don't blame you. December 31st, 2009.

I heard his voice when I read that quote.. I am a little scared now.

leviticusd:

KwaggaDan:
Okay, so now Star Trek has a knight in it's pocket too. Well, until Liam Neeson gets knighted...

Wait, is that a Star Trek vs. Star Wars comment? Uh...Sir Alec Guinness...the original Obi-Wan?

Yup. It's Star Trek - 1 and Star Wars - 1.

That is until Liam Neeson and/or Ewan MacGregor gets knighted. Then it'll (hopefully) be 3 - 1.

Well deserved!

HELL YEAH! Now we only need Ozzy and we're all sorted.

Sabrestar:

shaboinkin:

Purely honourary, it's part of the system that the British Empire / United Kingdom has used to recognise its most distinguished citizens for centuries now. The titles are primarily feudal relics. As I recall knighthood is the step beyond OBE (Officer of the British Empire) and CBE (Commander - this is why James Bond is sometimes referenced in the stories as Commander Bond, as he had a CBE).

Comm

Sabrestar:

shaboinkin:

[quote="PipBoy2000" post="7.199255.6517837"]Can this man get any more awesome?

Commander Bond was referred to as such because that was his commissioned rank within the Admiralty not because he held a CBE. A CBE only entitles you to have it after your name, no title is attached.

This is one of those rare knighthoods that I actually find awesome, hooray for Sir Patrick Stewart!

Daipire:
Hey, I was reading this thing about Christopher Lee, has he been knighted?

Cause he ruled in WW2

Christopher Lee was Knighted, but the date at which that occured escapes me.

EDIT: He was Knighted October 30th, 2009

As far as Patrick Stewart's Knighthood is concerned, I say that this was overdue. He's a great actor. Heck, I would have said that he deserved Knighthood just based on his Robin Hood Men in Tights performance.

Sir Patrick rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Uncompetative:
Kirk would beat Picard in a fight, but Picard would talk him out of it first.

;-)

So shouldn't that say, then, that "Kirk could beat Picard in a fight..."? /grammar-nazi

Anyway, I've been wondering this for about as long as I can remember (ever since Sir Alec Guinness), what exactly does it mean to be knighted?

Well-deserved indeed, god bless you Sir Stewart. My uncle and cousins once met him in person and now I bleed envy everytime I speak with them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here