Mother Finds Kidnapped Children On Facebook

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Mother Finds Kidnapped Children On Facebook

Thanks to Facebook, a mother was able to find her two children that were kidnapped fifteen years ago.

Believe it or not, Facebook can be useful for more than inane status updates about bacon and hassling people to give you virtual gifts. A California mother was able to reunite with her kidnapped children after successfully searching for them on the social network.

The mother, who was not named, lost contact with her 3-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son when they were kidnapped by her husband Faustino Utrera 15 years ago. She never gave up the hunt, and discovered that the now teenagers were living in Central Florida when she searched for and found her daughter on Facebook. I guess we know who the favorite child is.

After first finding her daughter, she requested a FarmVille ostrich topiary in exchange for an apple tree. After receiving the topiary, she contacted police, who were able to locate Utrera and the children in Florida. Did you really expect a Facebook story without a FarmVille mention?

Utrera is now in jail, and the children are back in custody of the mother. Sadly, even though proper justice was served here, it'll likely be tough for both parties involved to rebuild the relationship that was severed for 15 years. Facebook and other social networks have plenty of downfalls, this situation shows the power that they have to do good in this crazy world.

Source: Wesh via Gizmodo

Good thing the kids didn't jump on the Quit Facebook day bandwagon.

Oh, oh wow...

Facebook, I think you deserve a cookie, for once...

They probably bonded with the father more by now, well, good job destroying that relation Mrs.

For once that I see Facebook portrayed in a positive light...

Well, I guess it should be encouraged as a private 'tool of the law'

Warms my heart a little.

Best of luck to them and hopefully they'll be able to rebuild they're family.

Also, isin't a bit odd that the father would let his two KIDNAPPED kids on facebook?

So farmville does do some good. I always wondered. I thought facebook was a site for people who like to tell other people that they are having their morning coffee, having a bad day, or posting supid pics of your kids, and for nobody else. I hate facebook.

Good to see Facebook getting some positive publicity.

Tom Goldman:
inane status updates about bacon

That. Hurt. I demand an apology!

But yeah, I don't really know how good this is, I mean the kids were allowed Facebook and were obviously happy enough to not be searching for their mother, so now she just got rid of their main role model and took his place, with no choice for the kids to stay with the guy.

Sir Kemper:
Warms my heart a little.

Also, isin't a bit odd that the father would let his two KIDNAPPED kids on facebook?

I assume that he thought the mother would give up by then. I mean 15 years is a long time. And plus I bet the children had the facebook without the father's knowledge.

Frankly, stories like this give us no information to go on. Hooray I guess? Did the Dad kidnap them for a good reason and now the two teenagers are gonna go through living hell, legally justified living hell?

cainx10a:
They probably bonded with the father more by now, well, good job destroying that relation Mrs.

What? It's the fault of the woman who lost her children, not of the father that kidnapped them? What should she have done, washed her hands of them? That's like blaming the cop that arrested you for ruining your life, not yourself for committing the crime.

Sir Kemper:
Warms my heart a little.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Also, both kids would be into their late teens. I think it's reasonable to assume that they, if the father hadn't thought he was in the clear, gotten an account without his permission. Computers aren't hard to access, after all.

Anyway, I think Facebook deserves a salute or something for once. I wonder if the kids realised they were kidnapped before then?

MGlBlaze:

Sir Kemper:
Warms my heart a little.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Anyway, I think Facebook deserves a salute or something for once. I wonder if the kids realised they were kidnapped?

I guarantee that if they were taken when they were very young, then they probably had no read idea what happened.

Yeah, this story is really grey for me. The father and mother were split, adn the father ran off with the kids, denying his former wife's custody.

But he was ostensibly a good father who cared for the kids, and raised them.

So now this woman, who holds a legal claim, finds them and takes them back after 15 years, severing their relationship with their father, and leaving them in the custody of a woman they probably don't even remember, and have no relationship with?

If I were the kids, I'd probably be furious with her.

So yeah, legal justice was served, but are the kids "better off" for it? Unlikely.

-m

The Husband had an Awesome name, how dare she take those children away from a man they can tell there friends is called Faustino!.

Also..from Florida to California?.. ouch.. In my opinion, bad trade.
But thats a tourist opinion.

The Dad kidnapped the children when they were so young that they couldn't even remember their mother...

He has been their father for their entire lives, and have bonded and loved his father. Now this women that is apparently their mother has sent their father to jail, and are forced to live with the mother.

I can't actually see what is the bigger evil. It'd depend on the circumstances as to why the father took them, and the father and childrens living conditions, and we already know that they kids were in an average living condition, if they have time to waste on Farmville, it means they have power, a working computer and not under chains.

The Law was served.

And has shattered a family.

This mothers a bit of a bitch in my opinion.

Rainboq:
Oh, oh wow...

Facebook, I think you deserve a cookie, for once...

Only one cookie.

Great story, until he find out that Mark Zuckerberg sold their social security numbers to Somalia.

To all the people who are wondering about the guy and how she probably ruined their relationship, etc, etc...

The guy is a kidnapper who took the children illegally. How much of a decent guy can he be?

IT'S CHINATOWN I TELL YOU! CHINATOWN!

The father is really the good guy, and the mother is an evil and abusive monster who hired Jack Nicholson to use his Facebook skills to find her children!

Seriously though, I don't think the mother did the right thing. She should realize that she just isn't their mother anymore and that she isn't part of their lives, that she is probably destroying a happy family for her own sake.

DeeTee:

cainx10a:

What? It's the fault of the woman who lost her children, not of the father that kidnapped them? What should she have done, washed her hands of them? That's like blaming the cop that arrested you for ruining your life, not yourself for committing the crime.

It's not a matter of putting the blame on one party or another. Personally, I find that separation/divorce laws towards man are pretty unjust based on my assumption that Mrs. got a divorce and was able to keep both children. That would probably be why the Father kidnapped those children, ran off and start a new life (probably had to, and I doubt that was easy on his side to do such a thing).

Then again I'm making a lot of assumption, since I don't know the whole story.

But I find it abhorrent in this scenario to celebrate early.

Matt_LRR:
So yeah, legal justice was served, but are the kids "better off" for it? Unlikely.

-m

The morality is rather grey. On the one hand the father committed a pretty serious crime and should be punished for it and the children should be able to meet the person they were taken from, and the mother herself should be able to see her kids again. On the other hand, the father obviously cared for them (I'm not sure if he was a GOOD father or not, but that's beside the point) and the children are now separated from the one person they considered their parent and placed with a woman they don't know, as you stated.

No doubt the man deserves punishment for the crimes he committed, but what of the two teenagers caught up in all of this?

A bit of a dilema, to put it mildly...

Was the law truly 'just' or 'right' here?

uppitycracker:

More like the Quit Facebook rollerskate, as far as I know it flopped horribly.

Voodoomancer:

uppitycracker:

More like the Quit Facebook rollerskate, as far as I know it flopped horribly.

Most things like that fail miserably. Like the 'Youtube Blackout' stuff that happened. Of the people who say they will only maybe 1% actually do. It's a joke.

MGlBlaze:

Matt_LRR:

-m

The morality is rather grey.

Isn't pretty much all morality grey area?

cainx10a:

Uh, he STOLE them from their mother. He deserves nothing but the worse.

While that is heartwarming, taking kids who spent 15 or so years with the only parent they've ever known, and having to leave all their friends and old life behind has to be an insanely hard thing to do.

Again, the father was a dick and deserved to be punished, but will the kids be better off?

As heartwarming as this sounds I don't know a damn thing about the mother reported here even more so due to the fact that she wasn't named. How do i know she wasn't a bitch who verbally talked down to her kids while abusing several drugs and the father took them to get them away from that type of life? So many unanswered questions about this lady.

soren7550:

cainx10a:

Uh, he STOLE them from their mother. He deserves nothing but the worse.

I would actually praise my dad if he stole me from my mother. But that's just me I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6MxLYB8hM

SnootyEnglishman:
As heartwarming as this sounds I don't know a damn thing about the mother reported here even more so due to the fact that she wasn't named. How do i know she wasn't a bitch who verbally talked down to her kids while abusing several drugs and the father took them to get them away from that type of life? So many unanswered questions about this lady.

That's actually a very good point.

I'm rather worried now. More information is required on this story.

IHaveNoCoolness:
To all the people who are wondering about the guy and how she probably ruined their relationship, etc, etc...

The guy is a kidnapper who took the children illegally. How much of a decent guy can he be?

Sure, the guy may have sucked, but what about the kid's friends and their lives?
They've been taken from their old life and all their friends. And now have to deal with what their father, the only parent they've known for 15 years, committed an awful crime.

Plus, we know nothing about the father. For all we know he could have been a complete ass. But he could have also been a very loving father. For all we know he probably took the kids because the mother was a bad mother. And trying to get custody of kids away from their mothers is an insanely hard thing to do.

uppitycracker:

XD Oh my god, man! That was hilarious!

The kids probaly won't even realize they have been abducted. In all honesty, it's a good thing yes but the psychological factor is immense if you wish to deal with it.

I hope everything turns out well.

Wow. Just when I thought that Facebook was a worthless piece of shit, this happens.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here