Joker Won't Return in Nolan's Batman Films

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Joker Won't Return in Nolan's Batman Films

Christopher Nolan has no plans to cast another actor as the Joker in future Batman films.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but Batman Begins and The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan has confirmed that the Joker won't be recast in his upcoming third Batman film. He also discussed a couple of other villains that won't be making the cut.

When asked by Empire if the Joker, played by the late Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, would make an appearance in what we'll refer to as Batman 3 for now, Nolan "emphatically and unhesitatingly" said: "No." He understandably added that he doesn't "feel comfortable talking about it."

Nolan didn't reveal which villains Batman will go up against in Batman 3, but he did say that both Mr. Freeze and the Penguin aren't making the cut. The lack of Mr. Freeze is understandable, because despite his tragic back-story of wanting to save the woman he loves, he's still kind of just a dude that freezes stuff. The Penguin could have been a formidable opponent though, if rebooted properly. This leaves a few major known villains like the Riddler and Catwoman for Nolan to tool around with, unless he goes with characters that are less mainstream.

As for where the story of Batman 3 could go, Nolan plans to wrap it up pretty tightly. "We particularly like where we are taking the characters and what the ending is," he said. "[This film will be] the ending of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story."

Nolan is simultaneously tackling the next Superman movie, putting quite a lot on his plate. Batman 3 is scheduled to hit theatres on July 20, 2012.

Via: io9

Thank god he's respecting Ledger's memory here.
I personally can see The Riddler and Catwoman the most likely m'self

Well, the first film kind of went along with the less well known villain thing (at least from a non comic book reader's perspective), so it wouldn't surprise me if they cast a similarly unlauded character for Batman to do battle with.

No Penguin? :(

Understandable, Joker is done now, let him rest for a time.

Still yay the penguin!, I hope he has those Penguin butlers of his.

Good, no-one could do it better than Ledger!

I would call out The Black Mask. Perfect for Nolan's mind f-ery.

Tom Goldman:
Batman 3 is scheduled to hit theatres on July 20, 2012.

That's a little ambitious, why not just leave it at "Summer 2012"? I'm not even getting involved in any of the "Who's the villain going to be?" discussions. Based on the first two movies, I trust it will be whoever fits best with the story that Nolan wants to tell.

good hes respecting Ledger instead of hiring some one else to take his place he chose the lawful-nuteral decision

Just get Johnny Depp to play the Riddler. or better yet, use a villain that hasn't been in any movie yet like killer croc.

Well, let's see if they can make a good movie without the Joker. Maybe they can make a Gang War using Riddler and Black Mask.

I thought this was oooold news, I swear I remember reading Nolan saying he won't do Freeze or Penguin weeks if not months ago?

Considering Batman's extensive rogues gallery, eliminating the ones he's dealt with doesn't narrow it down much. I'm hoping for The Riddler, but I'd settle for Bane or Killer Croc too.

While it's understandably so, I still had a little bit of hope for an appearance of the Joker.

I mean, he's Batman's arch rival.

Clayface please Mr Nolan, with Hugo Strange just for kicks, oddly enough I see Strange as a perfect fit to Nolan's Batman universe because he's changed over the years so having him in a different guise wouldn't be so weird.

Is Killer Croc a better character in the comics than he is in Arkham Asylum? I see quite a few people wanting him to be the villain in Batman 3 but all I've seen him in was Batman:AA and he's one of the dullest characters I've ever seen. He just goes on about eating people all the time, and that's it. He's even more boring than Batman himself in that game.

Drakmeire:
Just get Johnny Depp to play the Riddler. or better yet, use a villain that hasn't been in any movie yet like killer croc.

Somehow, I believe you might be on to something there. By the end of the film I wouldn't even be able to comprehend reality without going slightly insane.

I'm glad he's leaving the Joker alone, nice way to give a "hats off" to Heath Ledger. I desperately want the Riddler, because I loved him in Batman Forever.

I'm going to keep shouting about Hush until the movie inevitably comes out and is Hush free. Isn't Hush the anti-Bat? Add in Riddler and you have an interesting concept: You have Batman hunting Hush and, Hush hunting Batman in a very Deathnote sort of way with The Riddler sitting in the shadows, pulling strings and, sending Zodiac-like letters taunting Gordon, Batman and, *gasp* Bruce Wayne?

HARLEY QUINN DAMN IT!

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I've said this before on here, but I'd love to see Harley Quinn as a troubled teenager who becomes obsessed with the celebrity-like nature of the Joker's legacy. I think it would work if she was a minor plot point in the first act, she wouldn't even need to be all that action orientated, just show her screwing up some juvenile anarchic scheme, then follow it up with seeing her in counselling or something.

Then you can spend the rest of the film developing the Riddler or whomever.

Plotwise, Harley Quinn would be a good casting choice now. We can set up a new backstory for her and have her looking for 'the Batman' to get revenge on him for the death of her beloved Joker. It could really work well, provided they set up the right backstory for her (plus, any excuse to see a hot actress play a hot character ;D).

Added to that, I'd have the Riddler in the third film, since it's the final one and the Riddler would be well placed to be brought in with a plot where he's looking to take over the vaccuum of influence over the city's criminal underworld that's been left vacant by the Joker. If we assume Nolan will stick to the traditional two main villains plus mobsters formula he's used so far, we could have that work pretty well. So far it's been:

- Scarecrow; Ras'al Ghul; Carmine Falcone.
- The Joker; Two-Face; Sal Maroni.

So we could easily add:

- Harley Quinn; The Riddler; new mob boss to replace Maroni now he's also in prison.

If handled well that could make for a great story, but it should stay at two main villains though, since adding more would just make it feel overstretched and dilute the effect of the first two. Though if they do cast the Riddler for the third film, the actor would need to be the right one, otherwise we risk losing what made Scarecrow and Joker so great in their films (and two of my favourite Batman villain portrayals to date).

Who cares, Joker was the star of the movie either way. Really loved it when he came into play.

Can't it stop being about ledger for ten seconds? If he hadn't died just after it really would never matter to anyone that he did do it. I think they aren't recasting purely to avoid the worst kind of retard strong nerd rage it would give them rather than respect for him, I'm willing to bet Heath doesn't give a shit about whether or not there is a new joker. If handled with proper writing and the correct actor another joker could be awesome, he escapes arkham and has his face completely changed and lives a whole new life as somone else with the Red Hood secret identity while Batman is busy chasing the jokers ghost the new him is busy fucking him around.

I see very few options besides the Riddler. Which is a good thing because the Riddler is probably the best fit for Nolan's psycho-villain approach.

I see major problems with characters like Clayface, freeze, and Ivy. Nolan is sticking to a semi-real world science in these movies. you can't really have zero-degree villains, amorphous blobs, and carnivorous plants.

I still think Zsasz is the best fit for Nolan's Batman films.

It's too easy for the Riddler to just end up looking like a poor man's Joker.

ColdStorage:
Clayface please Mr Nolan, with Hugo Strange just for kicks, oddly enough I see Strange as a perfect fit to Nolan's Batman universe because he's changed over the years so having him in a different guise wouldn't be so weird.

That's actually not a bad idea, Basil Carlo (the first Clayface) started out as a deranged actor who went crazy and dressed up as a slasher villain that he'd previously played. Then he killed a whole bunch of people.

Other than that I'd say the Black Mask would be a pretty good villain for the Nolanverse, after all with the criminal power vacuum from the past two movies, a psychopathic but none the less intelligent criminal like Black Mask could easily gain power as a mob boss.

I'm still pretty disappointed that the Penguin won't be in the movies, I know he's not the most intimidating villain ever but his modern incarnation as a sort of low level mafioso/snitch would be good for the movies.

I think the Riddler is the obvious choice for the next villain, maybe as a sort of eccentric super-detective like the guy from the Mentalist. Then he'd go crazy and try to beat Batman by being the ultimate supervillain.

Also, Two-Face felt like a wasted opportunity, he was still great in the movie, but it did seem like killing him off was a waste of a good villain.

This is probably a good idea, but I still think Michael Shannon would have made a good replacement. Watch his performance in Revolutionary Road if you don't believe me.

Didn't it come out that Maggie Gyllenhaal had signed up for TWO Batman films with Nolan? So the obvious thought would be for her to be Catwoman. She wakes up from coma kinda crazy, seeks revenge and yet still has the hots for Bats.

Drakmeire:

Personally, I really wouldn't like Johnny Depp playing the Riddler. I don't know what it is about him, but I have yet to like him in any movie he's been in, or the movie itself (this could be because I don't like any of Tim Burton's movies though).

I don't think Killer Croc is a very likely character either, since Nolan seems to be trying to keep the Batman universe realistic in his movies (or at least, as realistic as you can get with a billionaire ninja who beats up criminals dressed like a bat). I would however agree, and would like to see a lesser known villian in the next movie. The problem is finding a villain who is realistic enough to fit into Nolan's universe, and interesting enough to fill a 2.5 hour movie.

This could be a pretty tough decision, and Nolan has a good chance of going with the most likely characters, Riddler and Catwoman, but I really hope he might expand to fit a lesser known character into the movie, like Scarface, or someone similar.

N-N-no Mr freeze? :(. Ok now chill everyone, there must another character cool enough to ice the ice based puns?

TheZapper:
I still think Zsasz is the best fit for Nolan's Batman films.

It's too easy for the Riddler to just end up looking like a poor man's Joker.

Zsasz was actually in Batman Begins. He's the low-level thug that Crane gets released early on.

Lord George:
N-N-no Mr freeze? :(. Ok now chill everyone, there must another character cool enough to ice the ice based puns?

No, the puns have been put on ice.

They can always try to do Bane as he was intended: an intelligent strongman who managed to overwhelm Batman, and break him. Hell, it could lead a recuperating Bruce Wayne to take time off at the circus, seeing the Flying Graysons and the tragedy that befalls young Dick. While that's going on, Bane can been shown as attempting to control Gotham's underworld. This can lead him to ally himself with Tony Zuko, the man responsible for the Grayson's deaths.

Throw in a montage of Bruce healing and Dick training, then have it lead up to a rematch with Bane, which can now be in Batman's favor for he has a partner who can help him. Finish if off with them apprehending Zuko, show Batman and Robin doing something...err--Batman and Robin-ish? And roll credits.

You can pick this apart for all it's worth, but keep in mind this is a movie I just made up on the spot. I personally would love to see Clayface adapted to the silver-screen, but that can't really happen, given how grounded in realism the Nolan films have been.

id like either riddler or clayface(despite however unlikely), but thinking about the batman series....

i forgot the guys name but i always liked that man that keeps taking a swim in a pit that would make him younger again to extend his life, which also made him extremely angry and attack anyone he sees after just coming out of it. He always referred to batman as "detective" and his daughter was a love interest for batman? that character (and daughter obviously) seems like a VERY interesting direction for Batman 3 to go. and with Rachel dead Batman gets a new love interest out of it.

can someone remind me the guy's name, i am no batman expert but i remember this villan well in the batman cartoons of the 90s (which were AWESOME)?

TheZapper:

Lord George:

No, the puns have been put on ice.

That's a bit cold, don't ya think?

Aren't puns fun? =D

i woud prefer to see some of the lesser used villans, like scarface and dummy, clock king, or the mad hatter, done properly they could be great, though i was sorely unimpressed with nolan's version of scarecrow, that could have been handled alot better.

ryuke2009:
i forgot the guys name but i always liked that man that keeps taking a swim in a pit that would make him younger again to extend his life, which also made him extremely angry and attack anyone he sees after just coming out of it. He always referred to batman as "detective" and his daughter was a love interest for batman? that character (and daughter obviously) seems like a VERY interesting direction for Batman 3 to go. and with Rachel dead Batman gets a new love interest out of it.

can someone remind me the guy's name, i am no batman expert but i remember this villan well in the batman cartoons of the 90s (which were AWESOME)?

Ra's al Ghul, he was Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins and he was quite different from the source material.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here