Gabe Newell: Valve E3 Surprise Isn't Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

oktalist:

Sonicron:
...outdated expansion to an outdated game.

If you think that dated graphics make a dated game, you are wrong.

The original Half-Life is still one hell of a good game, and I don't consider it dated at all. (I very much disliked HL2 from the first time I played it, though.)

That said, I'm still eagerly awaiting Black Mesa Source. Going to be one big, beautiful nostalgia trip.

Fuck you, Gabe. Seriously. If you dare to pull a Duke Nukem on our collective butt I will beat your fat arse. FAN RAGE

Th new suprise? Valve is shutting its doors after portal 2 is released? No way?!

Thats it. Fuck valve, fuck Newell and fuck episode 3. I've waited so long that my expectations have gone off the charts so no matter the end result I'm going to be dissapointed. This is what happens when you wait too long for a game, you expect it to be God's gift to mankind and when (if) it comes out, even if it's good it won't be what you expected and you will be dissapointed. I hope he's throwing us through a loop and he really is revealing it at E3... But I really fucking doubt it

:(

Is it me, or does Valve act like a real tease when it comes to games?

My guess is that it's going to be Half-Life 3. I'm placing my bets now.

The Great JT:
My Guesses:

The Engineer Update
Meet The Medic
Meet The Pyro
Counter-Strike For Kids!
Counter-Strike: EXTREME GORE EDITION!!
Unnamed Left 4 Dead 1 DLC

haha that would be awesome

crowns18:

haha that would be awesome

Hello, Brother.

unacomn:
next version of the engine

Kazedarkwind:
new source Engine

The Infinite:
Source v2.0

Thankyou for saying things like "next version of" or "version 2.0 of" the engine, rather than claiming it would be a brand new engine, because that really ticks me off when people say things that imply Valve would create a whole new engine from scratch. They've *never* done that, and they should never need to (Source was based on the engine from the first Half-Life, which was itself based on the original Quake engine).

Still, it should have to be a pretty big update to warrant usurping a Portal 2 announcement.

Uberjoe19:
Is it me, or does Valve act like a real tease when it comes to games?

act?
They are a real tease!

This is hilarious! Can't wait to see what it actually is.

:( i seriously want episode 3! I am most displeased.

[double post]

PipBoy2000:
This sucks on ice :P

I REALLY hope it's not L4D3. That would be quite irritating.

Yup. L4D3 would be a let down after all this hype.

Well, I'm not surprised.

I'm still betting Icefrog has got something to do with this.

Ok, Valve, BioWare has officially surpassed you on my personal list of best game developers ever.
So.... take that I guess.

For all of you out there that got into his hype. Ya'll got pwned.

Why am I not surprised?

Come on, I dare ya. Ask me why!

buy teh haloz:
This is just a running gag, isn't it. Valve announces something big, OH SORRY IT ISN'T EPISODE 3. LOL.

They hire 30 people to monitor forums and share office jokes about our collective optimism.
They slap their thighs and guffaw and have a jolly good time.

I kept telling myself that I knew it wasn't going to be Episode 3. And yet I still feel disappointed. Not surprised, but still disappointed.

Well I hope its either a completely new IP or anything besides L4D3.

OK, this has to be the engineer update (probably going to be massive).
If it's L4d3 im gonna be pissed.

I think half life 3 that picks up where Ep2 left off

Steam for Linux

Hahahahaha...Episode 3 is illusory. The carrot before the horse's face, dangling, but always out of reach. Ya gotta admire Valve, frantically trying to not make millions of dollars on day one of a game release by never even making the game. Oh, you poor poor Valve fanboys, how you never realize you're being played...

GOD.
FUCKING.
DAMMIT.
/capslock

But seriously, come on Gabe. You've made 3.5 full games (L4D 1-2, Portal 1-2 [the first one only counts as half]) in the time its taken to make one. At the rate you've taken to make Episode 3, it better make everything else in existence look like absolute shit.

Whatever it is, valve has enough rabid fanboys that I'm sure it will blow up all over the forums instantly. Even if it's a fps (you know it will be a fps) about a monkey peeing on anthills.

You can also be sure that it wont be on the ps3 because it's too hard for them to do apparently.

TheSkaAssassin:
GOD.
FUCKING.
DAMMIT.
/capslock

But seriously, come on Gabe. You've made 3.5 full games (L4D 1-2, Portal 1-2 [the first one only counts as half]) in the time its taken to make one. At the rate you've taken to make Episode 3, it better make everything else in existence look like absolute shit.

Good things come to those who wait.
Valve are awesome BECAUSE they don't have release dates.

Kajt:
Well, if it isn't Episode 3 or Portal 2, I'll be expecting something brand new.

BWAH.

...oh, sorry. I just thought it was funny that you thought Valve would be making a new IP. Don't be silly, it'll be either Team Fortress 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. They might throw in a curveball and make a new Counter Strike though.

oktalist:

Sonicron:
...outdated expansion to an outdated game.

If you think that dated graphics make a dated game, you are wrong.

The original Half-Life is still one hell of a good game, and I don't consider it dated at all. (I very much disliked HL2 from the first time I played it, though.)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will play them, and remember.

Graphics are one factor, but in the end always the least important. The problem HL2 has is that while it rightly earned its place in the history books as a milestone in the evolution of game design, it has since been surpassed, if not transcended by a host of other games that decided to expand on its great design principles. It's the equivalent of Silence of the Lambs being an underwhelming film experience by today's standards, even though it is the original template for all movies of its particular kind that have come after it.

well the surprise is that on June 14, GLaDoS will flood the Valve offices with a deadly nurotoxin, and laugh as millions of fanatical fanboys slit there own wrists upon realizing that they will never get to see Episode 3.

The rest of us carry on with our lives.

GonzoGamer:
Even if it's a fps (you know it will be a fps) about a monkey peeing on anthills.

LOL - that would actually be AWESOME!

Well, I'm not surprised at all. No matter what they announce I'm sure the fanboys will praise it. Unless it's bad of course.

The surprise announcement is that Episode 3 isn't coming out this year.

Surprise!

thenumberthirteen:
What could the surprise be now? Team Fortress 3? L4D3? Portal 4, a game so awesome it tore a hole in time (the same fate that befell Duke Nukem)? Maybe a brand new game!

It is obviously going to be L4D3, and then he will also announce L4D4 in the same week.

Yay :) We can have something good in our hands instead of the same game a 4th time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here