Gabe Newell: Valve E3 Surprise Isn't Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Guess now that they've called it, this'll be the NEW Duke Nukem Forever- and ever and ever and ever

If its anything Mac related I will be annoyed, and same if its another TF2 or L4D update. New Counter Strike, Engine or Half Life would be ideal.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time I refer back to the Valve time graph for its own sake.

I bet 10 bucks that it's Left 4 Dead 3.

I skimmed the whole thread to see if anyone posted this "image", if it is on another thread i mush have missed that too, i found this looking for the fake picture the article mentioned:

I'm about as much of a valve fanboy as i can be, considering among other things that the only game i legally own from this decade is the orange box. And i recon that i'm a horrible horrible person for this, but when i saw it i just couldn't stop myself from laughing.

This is why we don't have HL2:EP3 yet

emily123:
one word
sheppard
anyone who would care will know what i'm talking about

Fanboy brains would explode all over the place, wouldn't want to clean that up.

Bek359:
Uggh, can't we at least get a tiny it of information on Episode 3? Even just a piece of concept art?

This is officially becoming sad.

Damnit, Valve... look, either tell the fanbase what's going on with the Half-Life franchise at this point, or walk away from it fully. If you don't have anything to say, say that. If you've given up on Freeman & Co., say that! It's pretty damn dickish to play coy and not even HINT at anything, meanwhile you've clearly got the time and resources to make a plethora of other titles and occasionally bitch at the PS3 for daring to exist. Cripes, at this point, I think the fans would settle for an 8-bit Final Fantasy-style RPG if it'd just finish the damn story.

Awww, I really hoped it was...

WAIT A MINUTE! What is it is...

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER?!

Sonicron:

oktalist:

Sonicron:
...outdated expansion to an outdated game.

If you think that dated graphics make a dated game, you are wrong.

Graphics are one factor, but in the end always the least important. The problem HL2 has is that while it rightly earned its place in the history books as a milestone in the evolution of game design, it has since been surpassed, if not transcended by a host of other games that decided to expand on its great design principles. It's the equivalent of Silence of the Lambs being an underwhelming film experience by today's standards, even though it is the original template for all movies of its particular kind that have come after it.

Oh, now you're dissing Silence of the Lambs, too! ;) /jk

oktalist:

Sonicron:

oktalist:

Sonicron:
...outdated expansion to an outdated game.

If you think that dated graphics make a dated game, you are wrong.

Graphics are one factor, but in the end always the least important. The problem HL2 has is that while it rightly earned its place in the history books as a milestone in the evolution of game design, it has since been surpassed, if not transcended by a host of other games that decided to expand on its great design principles. It's the equivalent of Silence of the Lambs being an underwhelming film experience by today's standards, even though it is the original template for all movies of its particular kind that have come after it.

Oh, now you're dissing Silence of the Lambs, too! ;) /jk

Well, uh... hmm... ... I suppose I am. So? Wanna challenge me to fisticuffs over it?! ;P

In all seriousness, I only watched it for the first time about a year ago, and after it I was like, "... Huh? That's what all the jazz is about?" That reaction of mine got me thinking, and after a while I ended up at the conclusion I just presented you with: The movie is, in my humble opinion, very much past its prime.

I am going to hunt you down MR. FUNK for raising my hopes for the year 2014 which will only be the year when they release starcraft 2 expansion 5 "the return of the reloaded swarm"
and L4D6 where the last surviving 4 zombies take on the human player swarms.

well obviously since he said it isn't HL2:EP3 it is HL2:EP3

It could still be HL3...It could still be HL3...It could still be HL3...

It would just be blatantly stupid of Valve to continue waiting to announce the next Half-Life game. And from what I've seen, Valve isn't stupid.

Well, its disappointing, but there are a number of things that could come from this.

#1 Engineer Update, bundled with the Final Meet the Team Videos, and finally a release of the Source Filmmaker.

#2 A new engine update to source.

#3 The full release of the new Counterstrike Update.

#4 A new IP.

Bek359:
Uggh, can't we at least get a tiny it of information on Episode 3? Even just a piece of concept art?

Concept art? Look at avatar. There were a few pieces of Ep. 3 concept art released way back. I took one (it was modded) but it exists.

Goddamn it! It's about time they stopped dicking around with crap like Mac support, Left for Dead and Team Fortress and got Half-Life finished. What is so sodding hard about keeping their promise of shorter, cheaper games with smaller development time spans between them? FFS!!!

It isn't Episode 3. I knew that.

However i'm keeping my fingers crossed for just Half-Life 3.

You really think they would take 6 years for just a 5-8 hour mini-game?

If they bring more of Freeman's adventures, it's coming in full game form.

gmer412:

Bek359:

Concept art? Look at avatar. There were a few pieces of Ep. 3 concept art released way back. I took one (it was modded) but it exists.

I meant one that wasn't several years old. An update of some sort, even if it was just a piece of concept art, is what I should have said.

It's Half Life: Full Life Consequences: The Game of the Machinima of the Fanfiction. Play as John Freeman who is Gordon Freeman's brother on his epic quest to live up to his family name and face FULL LIFE CONSEQUENCES!!! Fight with incredible new weapons like bear fists, neef, and the gun that shoots really fast(except you don't really use this one because bullets are too slow). Calling it right now.

As soon as it was said there would be a surprise, I knew it wasn't going to be Ep. 3. I can't say I called it because I didn't, but I had a hunch. I think it's pretty dumb of Valve not to have Ep. 3 done and released already, but whatever. One game series constantly being pushed back is not the end of the world. There are plenty of other game companies that actually stick to a schedule that I can give my money to.

If it wasn't for Steam and the cut Valve gets for distribution, they would be more concerned with releasing games. So, if you want to see Ep. 3, stop buying games on Steam. Seriously.

MasterSplinter:

Genius.

If this is true, and it isn't Gabe trying to pull one over on us, I propose an armed march on Bellevue, Washington.

All in favor?

<======Super Saiyan Vegeta IS NOT AMUSED!!!

Johnny Cain:
As long as it's NOT Counter-Strike I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

If it was a new coutner strike, and they said it would be coming to consoles, I would be so happy. I wouldn't be playing another FPS online ever.

How bout we just not buy any Valve product until they release Ep 3 I'm sure that will show them.

Yea I probably wouldn't be able to live up to that threat either.

At first I was like :(, but then I was like XP.

My theory: Screw it, and wait for E3 next Monday.

Rainboq:
Cue fanboy rage.....

VIKING fanboy rage...

Give us what we want, Valve

Bek359:

gmer412:

Bek359:

I meant one that wasn't several years old. An update of some sort, even if it was just a piece of concept art, is what I should have said.

Oh, well than I fully agree. C'mon, Valve, the secrecy is cool for a while but give us nothing for so long and some become dejected.

So disappointed.

from the few games i noticedin this threadt:TF3, Portal2, half life 2 E3, left 4 dead 3, portal 2 is the only one without a 3.
i am rooting for that one, or episode 3, because tf3 and l4d3 would have new characters. or new guns
that would suck.
there's no team fortress anymore without the spy, heavy, soldier,sandvich, kgb sg's or the rest, and 12 survivors and 1232 new weapons would be overkill.
maybe the surprise is: portal 2: episode 3. michelle would kick combined ass with gordon!
that would be AWESOME!

If it's Left 4 Dead 3 I'm going to strangle someone. Don't get me wrong, those games are good fun, but we got a new one last year. Personally, I'm hoping for a new box, maybe with updated Team Fortress, Counterstrike (I can hope, can't I?), Half Life Multiplayer, Portal 2, and possibly the new Half-Life whatever it's going to be.

i called it! i totally called it!

i really hope it's a new IP, but it's probably l4d3.

team fortress 3 would be nice.

I'll bet it's either Opposing Force 2, or Episode 3 (and he just said it wasn't Episode 3, to enhance the surprise. :P)

Well I don't mind waiting for episode three, because I'm not too big of a half life fan. Regardless I WILL pick it up and most definitely enjoy it, but when articles like this come up I realize the game can only improve and they can only make it better and better with a longer time limit. So valve fanboys, be patient, i'm sure your preecioooous will be worth the wait for you guys.

cream:

Johnny Cain:
As long as it's NOT Counter-Strike I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

If it was a new counter strike, and they said it would be coming to consoles, I would be so happy. I wouldn't be playing another FPS online ever.

with all do respect...HELL NO! if they ever make CS for consoles, there will be a bloody riot...i garantee it

Heh, I knew it wasnt going to come out in this turn of the decade
( Pssst. I think Gabe Newell ATE it). Portal 2 has already been anounced, L4D3 and TF3 would just be absurd, and DoD so old, most people don't remember it.

I can only guess a new series. (or the anouncment of HL3 rather then ep.2)

Boooo...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or