Gabe Newell: Valve E3 Surprise Isn't Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Valve, I love you. I've always loved you and I always will. But seriously? You don't get people's hopes up like that. That is not cool, man. Of course, who am I kidding. It's going to be something great anyway... right?

Counter Strike: Condition Zero: Source?

Edit: There has been utter complete silence since January from the team making the Black Mesa mod for HL2... Valve takeover maybe? Getting a little hopeful there...

emily123:
one word
sheppard
anyone who would care will know what i'm talking about

As awesome as that'd be, I highly doubt it. Valve doesn't actually own the rights to Opposing Force as;
1: it wasn't made by them
2: it's story isn't cannon with Half-Life.

Then again, neither was Blue Shift, but some Barney story spin-off would be pretty God damn cool too.

And to those that are speculating that it's going to be some Tactical Intervention announcement, I can promise it's not. TI isn't being made by Valve. It's not their game. It's the pet project of one of the original creators of Counter-Strike. He left Valve to go work on this game practically by himself. Time will tell if he made the right move.

On topic, my guess is it's going to be one of three possibilities. First could be that Gabe's pulling our collective legs (so to speak) and it will indeed be Episode 3 (or the scrapped idea of Ep3 and just Half-Life 3). Second, it could be a new engine. Something that isn't quite as likely as you'd think since they'd planned on having Source evolve over the years. Lastly, it could be a new IP. Any of these seem very exciting to me. My hope is Episode 3 but I'm betting on the other two.

Just addition to my earlier comment, it's more in Left4Dead, I'm going to hurt someone.

If it's not episode three, it's probably the much needed support for the console versions of their games (looking at you, TF2 on the 360).

Yeah I didn't get my hopes up for episode 3.

I hope it's a new IP.

Portal 0 - Chell Shocked
Details the rivalry Aperture Science with Black Mesa, betcha.

*Puts on Darth Vader suit* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Random Argument Man:
How about a brand new IP?

Although, I would be pretty happy if it's TF2 for mac and free.

What, like they did with Portal for the Mac? That would be awesome, free TF2 for everyone!

I am in no way someone who thinks that Customers have THE RIGTH for particular Sequels.

It just pisses me of when you give me a story and don't continue to tell it to the end.
That pissed me of on Halo2 (wich i say has the best script of the 3 Halos) that pissed me of on Legendary (wich besides it's mediocre quality had an fairly interesting premisse) and it pisses me much more of on a good game like Half Life and Half Life2.

It just fricking creates tension in me.

VegetaPrinceofSaiyans:

cream:

Johnny Cain:
As long as it's NOT Counter-Strike I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

If it was a new counter strike, and they said it would be coming to consoles, I would be so happy. I wouldn't be playing another FPS online ever.

with all do respect...HELL NO! if they ever make CS for consoles, there will be a bloody riot...i garantee it

They have already made counter strike for consoles. It was on the original xbox. They brought TF2 to consoles, why wouldn't counter strike work?

I hope that this won't be like blizzard and Starcraft 2 with 12 years between games.

Just dont let it be a new Counter Strike

Well, i can at least ascertain that their will likely be a ep:3 some time.
I mean hl2 was released in 2004, ep:1 in 2006, ep:2 in 2008, so therefore...
Also i seriously doubt that they would ever leave the series hanging like this.
My guess is that it's source engine 2, so that for ep:3 they can do those "large scale battles" they talked so eagerly about previously.
Either that or they are indeed planning on showing ep:3, except giving the idea of a surprise leaves their options open (They could just show portal 2 or something should plans not go accordingly, like a demo map not working due to engine bugs.)
Just mah fan-boy-2-cents.

Kajin:
I seriously doubt we'll ever see Episode 3, because it's been so long since Episode 2 they might as well scrap the whole thing and pick up the story where they left off by starting work on Half-Life 3 itself. Maybe that's the surprise?

I'm probably wrong, but weren't the episodes supposed to be Half-Life 3 in the first place, released episodiclly, but then they got misnamed as Half Life 2: Episode Whatever, instead of 3? I think I read that somewhere...

Either way, its almost unheard of to call that much work non-canon, particularly when they're that good. So I doubt it. It WOULD be a suprise though.

I'm hoping for Episode 3, but if not then a whole new franchise. Another Left 4 Dead would enrage everyone from what I've been hearing, and Portal was fine on its own. And Valve hasn't got a bad franchise so far (that I can think of...)

I think Valve secretly worked out a business deal to finish off Duke Nukem Forever.

Dammit! Well, at least portal 2 is coming out. OR IS IT???

Is it bad that I recognise exactly which part of the game that screenshot is from?

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

...*sigh*. Well, so much for that.

Still, what could the surprise be? I'm hoping a not-sequel.

maybe it is a new series?
like in
not Half-life
not Portal
not TF
not CS
not DoD

maybe?

I am coining the term now.

Half Life: Forever.

Don't cry, it's going to happen.

Episode 3 will be new Duke Nuken.

Studio is just doubting it will be as good as previous two games. So they rather not risk it and loosing their credibility.

They are probably going to take the smart-ass approach and say that its not episode 3 but just Half Life 3. That way they technically didn't lie but they just withheld the truth a bit. Watch it happen.

Proteus214:

Jack and Calumon:
I'm betting Half Life 3.

Calumon: We can hope...

That's what I was thinking myself. I figure that Episode 3 is just going to turn into a full sequel altogether.

It's either that...or a Half-Life movie?

maybe a half life movie made through the new source engine :D

What?!?! 2014?! Oh those sons of *bleep**bleep**bleep**bleep* they can go straight to *bleep**bleep* and then *bleep* till they*bleep**bleep* sideways.

OT: I hope this will be worth the wait of my favorite theoretical physicist.

Team Fortress 3? L4D3? What else?

Halo Life 3?

Was anyone REALLY expecting it to be episode 3?

My vote goes to it actually being Portal 2 (and they're just screwing with us for the lulz), or most likely, something to do with TF2 (Engineer update or Meet the Pyro), or the Left 4 Dead DLC.

Hell, a whole new game was more likely than Episode 3.

thenumberthirteen:
What could the surprise be now? Team Fortress 3? L4D3? Portal 4, a game so awesome it tore a hole in time (the same fate that befell Duke Nukem)? Maybe a brand new game!

I honestly have no idea how a TF3 would work, though they have said before that they would possibly make one some day. I think they are busy making cash off the first one though at the moment.

Left4Dead 3 is a possibility...they better make it unique/different and interesting though.

I'm actually hoping for a whole new franchise altogether to be honest. Something almost entirely different.

Meet the Medic and the Pyro: Medic IS the Pyro

It's not gonna be Half Life 2: Episode 3

It's gonna be Half Life 3.

Boosh.

Tharwen:
Is it bad that I recognise exactly which part of the game that screenshot is from?

Not even a little, it's a very memorable part, the point when HL2 went from interesting to non stop kicking ass.

cream:

VegetaPrinceofSaiyans:

cream:

Johnny Cain:
As long as it's NOT Counter-Strike I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

If it was a new counter strike, and they said it would be coming to consoles, I would be so happy. I wouldn't be playing another FPS online ever.

with all do respect...HELL NO! if they ever make CS for consoles, there will be a bloody riot...i garantee it

They have already made counter strike for consoles. It was on the original xbox. They brought TF2 to consoles, why wouldn't counter strike work?

Why don't they announce counter strike and TF2 cross platform support?

On second thought I'd rather them announce Left for Dead 5.

LordOfInsanity:
Hahahhahahahaha....hahaha....haaaaaa.

Why am I not surprised? Plus, you never know. Could be false-information on Gabe's part. But oh well.

Yeah, Valve is so evil and we love them for it.

The surprise will be herpes.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

I hate to burst everyones bubble, but it's Frogger... The movie!!

I hope to god it's not another L4D. My best bet is a new game all together.

I'm guessin' Left 4 Dead 3. The controversy was so awesome the first time, we want to do it again.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here