Catch Video Games Live for Free

Catch Video Games Live for Free

Can't make it to a Video Games Live performance in person? PBS has got your back.

The Public Broadcasting System (PBS) is known for airing educational and cultural programming that you generally won't find on other networks here in America. It seems that Video Games Live, the orchestral performance created and produced by industry composers Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, is classy enough to get a 90-minute airing on the channel.

The channel has put together a four minute trailer (at right) to promote the event, and it certainly does a great job of making the performance look appealing for viewers of all ages. Of course, getting someone like Jamie Lee Curtis to provide testimony about the show certainly helps, too.

According to PBS, the performance will, "[consist] of never before televised live musical performances from the Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, God of War, Civilization, Chrono Cross, StarCraft and Guitar Hero franchises, including a musical journey through Classic Gaming, will make its national premiere on July 31 and air throughout August 2010 on PBS stations."

Officially, PBS is going to start airing the show on July 31 and will be selling CD/DVD/Blu-Ray packages of the performance through November. The DVD sounds like it could make for some pretty entertaining viewing, with over three hours of bonus material being included.

If you live in Northern California, though, you're in for a treat: a sneak preview of the performance almost two months in advance. PBS's KQED Public Television 9 will debut the event tonight, June 7th, at 7:30 PM and will repeat the airing at 1:30 AM on June 8th.

Source: PBS via Joystiq

I doubt we un the UK will get a chance to see it...well, heres hoping on Youtube!

I may have to get my mitts on a copy of the Digital Versatile Disc.

I never thought I'd be so exited to watch anything on PBS.

I love VGL, I saw a live show once and it was pretty awesome. I even keep the autographs of all the composers sitting nice in my shelf.

Okay so who else noticed them nonchalantly throw that couple of second scene of the girl with elf ears on behind the voice over at 3:50. I was like... um yeah, elf ears at the symphony what is the world coming to...

Thank you SO much for this thread. My wife bought me tickets for our anniversary last year and the show was cancelled. We were refunded our money but the tour never came back to our town. I look forward to recording this one.

I'll find a way of getting this even over here in the UK but come Novemeber I'll get it imported on BD or DVD. Let's hope for no region coding.

You lucky Americans! I will definitley be getting the blu ray and btw Jamie Lee Curtis, Final Fantasy has worlds much closer to Avatar and much more imaginative and original than World Of Warcraft.

They're playing One Winged Angel? I WANT FUCKING UK BROADCAST NOW!

Calumon: I want a ticket!

eh.. Jamie Lee Curtis? Does this mean there will be a WoW commercial with her?

Does this PBS have a video on Demand section for non US-citizen?

That dude just rocking the fuck out on the Cello(?) during one winged angel is the most metal thing I've ever seen.

This show actually played in my town less than a year back, was sadly too broke to catch it but I'll certainly watch it on the box if I get the chance.

Jamie Lee Curtis, I have a new found respect for you. I would so love you if you were thirty years younger. :D

Shameless plug for one of our older videos:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/gdc-2009/661-Video-Games-Live

If you have a chance to see it live, don't think twice. Just go. You will not regret it.

Wasn't much of the World of Warcraft footage the ending animation from Warcraft III's Human campaign? It's a brilliant scene, so I don't blame them, just thought I'd mention it.

And yes, the electric guitar versus cello duel was a brilliant touch.

Damn, wished i lived in the US, ar well i'll just enjoy my free heathcare.

So, who from NorCal is going to record and torrent it for the rest of us? :)

Dang, this is awesome. Now I don't wanna wait for July D:

TheBlackKnight:
Does this PBS have a video on Demand section for non US-citizen?

They do indeed have a Web video service, but looking at the list of programs, it looks like they only have their regular shows available, not special events like this. But, since it's a non-commercial station whose sponsors don't get any money from broadcasts, I have a hunch they wouldn't have a problem with people torrenting the show.

EDIT: Did anyone else hear Graham Stark's "Hey guys. Russel Here." in their heads when it cut to the gratuitous closeup of the crow?

Warcraft 3 Deserves to be all over this.

It was fantastic when it came to Dublin, I was lucky enough to win the Guitar Hero contest out in the foyer before the show and got to play Sweet Emotions with the Orchestra, and got myself a poster signed by Koji Kondo! Tommy is a great guy as well, really funny, and knows how to rock a Castlevania.

Here's hoping they have the Halo Theme.

I went to Video Games Live in Vancouver, and since I had gone to see FF Distant Worlds a couple months before that, I wasn't really impressed by the quality of sound in the venue, or the overload of corporate sponsorship, but my friends ended up in the costume contest and had a decent run at it, plus they had Vampire Killer playing near the end in their Castlevania medley. And they had an awesome Megaman medley, too. Not sure if I'd pay that kind of money again especially with stage lights being focused directly into my eyes for so long, but if they performed in the Orpheum instead, or at least improved the sound quality for the back seats and ditch those damn lights, I'd go again. They got the entertainment part down, but the sound quality was pretty dodgey and I paid good money to hear good music.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to enjoy a broadcast on PBS if only because it's a live concert, and I am a borderline audiophile who rages at poor-quality recordings. Live orchestra suffers the most when you lose a lot of the beautiful sound immersion.

1:36-1:44 = Martin Leung. An -amazing- pianist that I grew up with. We used to play Sonic games together (back when they were good).

I'm embarrassed to admit we shared the same piano teacher at one point in time. The guy always had like... 10x more talent in his little pinky than I had altogether. If I remember correctly, he composed one of his first pieces in grade-school.

He's pretty cool because he's also a very nice guy.

FYI, he's also this dood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZki6TcY4w

What do you know, something on PBS worth watching that isn't Antiques Roadshow or Red Green (Red Green was on PBS, right?)

1:10 to 1:18

What a sad mockery of classical music. For shame.

Why oh why do you have to bring up VGL? Are you trying to rub salt in this wound, is your heart so black that you delight in tormenting me?

2010, the year Video Games Live didn't come to Edmonton, it makes me a sad panda. Loved the '08 show, loved the '09 show, and was SO looking forward to VGL2010, but there is not going to be one. No VGL till mid-lade 2011.

How can some DVD or TV presentation make up for not getting to see it live? It's not Video Games Live if not live, it's just Video Games, and not a very good one as the only controls are "Play" and "Stop".

Brotherofwill:
1:10 to 1:18

What a sad mockery of classical music. For shame.

Where was it ever said this was classical music?

Khell_Sennet:
Why oh why do you have to bring up VGL? Are you trying to rub salt in this wound, is your heart so black that you delight in tormenting me?

2010, the year Video Games Live didn't come to Edmonton, it makes me a sad panda. Loved the '08 show, loved the '09 show, and was SO looking forward to VGL2010, but there is not going to be one. No VGL till mid-lade 2011.

+1
They were susposed to come to Toronto this yea but that got pushed back to 2011. Though I guess VGL on TV is better then no VGL.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here