Dragon Age Anime in the Works

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dragon Age Anime in the Works

In a move that surprises no one, EA has announced that an anime based on Dragon Age: Origins is in the works.

It's no secret that EA likes to produce tie-in material for its bigger videogames. Novels, comic books, and movies have all been the popular forms of adaptation, though the latter has yet to really impress anyone. But the publisher apparently believes in the magic of movies, because it's just announced that 2011 will see the release of an "anime feature film" based on the critically-loved Dragon Age: Origins.

The project is being worked on by FUNimation, a company that produces, markets, and distributes anime in the United States. However, this is the first project that FUNimation's Original Entertainment team is going to be working on, so it's hard to say just what kind of quality we can expect from the film, though EA and Bioware want us to believe that it will be awesome.

"Anime is a great medium for us to continue the robust Dragon Age story," said Mark Darrah - Executive Producer for the Dragon Age franchise when the announcement was made. "Partnering with FUNimation ensures that we are delivering the exceptional quality and entertainment value that our Dragon Age fans expect."

So far, EA's animated films have been pretty weak. Dead Space: Downfall wasn't scary at all, largely due to lame animation quality and style choices, while Dante's Inferno was just a lackluster summary of the game's story (though the involvement of different animation directors for different parts of the story was, admittedly, interesting). Last year at E3, I spoke to the producer of Dead Space: Extraction, and he admitted that nobody at EA was really happy with Downfall. These previous films were made with Film Roman and Starz/Anchor Bay, which is probably why EA is partnering with someone new for this venture.

Here's hoping the third time is the charm.

Well, maybe. Just maybe. They might want to look at partnering with a Japanese producer just to get the style and quality down right.

Bioware: why? Why, why are you trying to fuck up everything awesome you have? First, the Mass Effect movie, and now this?
Why, Bioware? Why?

Alright, colour me curious. The last anime I watched that was based on an established series was Devil May Cry, which sucked big time. The only other one I watched was the Animatrix, which was pretty enjoyable as far as I remember.

hazabaza1:
Bioware: why? Why, why are you trying to fuck up everything awesome you have? First, the Mass Effect movie, and now this?
Why, Bioware? Why?

It's EA, not Bioware.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...WHY!?? WHY EA WHYYYYYY!?!?

*Ahem*, No, Just no, This wont work, I hope i wont need to watch it to understand dragon ages 2 story, I'm really not a fan of anime and so far the ones from ea i heard have been rubish, Game to film/anime/tvseris/ NEVER works.

Better question..why anime? If you have to do animated features, then make one; but the word "anime" just makes me think of Halo: Legends and the crap my sister watches....neither of which is a good thing...

I consider myself the optimist, yet I find it difficult to be optimistic about this.

I don't see Dragon Age as an anime.

Playing Dragon Age makes me think of the Lord of the Rings movies. Maybe they should go for a Peter Jackson movie instead.

Hmmmmm.

I Dunno.
It could work but, like you said.
From the last few Animated Films they had...im not so sure.

Ill just haft to wait and see.

Hmm... The Dead Space film wasnt all that bad, im intrested.

But what kind of anime is it going to be? Is it a Elfen Lied style blood bath or be mainly plot driven.

Im intrested, not passing judgment yet, just hoping thye dont fuck up.

I can see the styles clashing pretty heavily. Tokleinesque fantasy isn't something that would really lend itselt to an anime art style. That's just a presumption of course.

I will have to see it first to say anything.

No, no, no... This is an awful idea IMO. Why ruin an awesome game with a poor anime series? WHY?

Personally, I think a Dragon age Anime would rock.

This is an awful idea.

When the anime fad eventually blows over all these stupid wapanese tie-ins are going to look ridiculous. You notice how many American kids cartoons have that quasi-anime look to them now? They may be very cool and "now" at the minute, but when the US and Europe inevitably lose interest they are going to get very dated, very quickly.

SextusMaximus:
No, no, no... This is an awful idea IMO. Why ruin an awesome game with a poor anime series? WHY?

If you re-read the first paragraph, it's called a "anime feature film". It will not be series, it will probably be more akin to the Dead Space movie (only hopefully better).

As to the whole idea of an anime for this, I approve. The only way someone could "ruin a series" is if they made bad sequels or expansions. Even then, we still have the ORIGINAL PRODUCT which will always be badass.

Bring on the blood!

FargoDog:
I can see the styles clashing pretty heavily. Tokleinesque fantasy isn't something that would really lend itselt to an anime art style. That's just a presumption of course.

What about Record of the Lodoss War and Berserk?

At least they've got funimation working on this.

....oh my God. Please, I love this game, don't ruin it. There's no way in hell this'll work.

Rodyle2:

FargoDog:

What about Record of the Lodoss War and Berserk?

I was gonna say, I thought they already did a Dragon Age anime. It was just called Record of Lodoss War.

Anime is really a catch all term for any piece of animation nowadays reguardless of whatever art direction is taken

*Takes a deep breath*
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

This could actually turn out quite well. Some of my favourite anime is in the fantasy genre (Lodoss War, RG Veda, etc.). My real concern is working with an unproven studio. Sure it will keep the costs down but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Do. Want.

hazabaza1:
Why, Bioware? Why?

Let's wait to see them before we say whether they're crap or not.

thosta:
I consider myself the optimist, yet I find it difficult to be optimistic about this.

I don't see Dragon Age as an anime.

I could see it working as one, see also stuff like Berserk. However the problem is them trying to make it a movie. Something like Dragon Age could only work as a series, because only a series could be in-depth enough to actually make it feel like the game. A movie is far too short, and would undermine the sprawling narrative structure of the RPG even more.

Why Anime? Why not real animation?

ragestreet:
At least they've got funimation working on this.

It would have been fucking awesome if they actually got Studio Ghibli to do it... Though I honestly can't see that working.

BoogieManFL:
Why Anime? Why not real animation?

Anime IS real animation.

If it's with funimation it might be called Dragon Ball Age!

Great. Thanks EA. As if ruining some of my favorite games wasn't enough you now go onto not just murder one of my favorite games, but to also ruin anime for me.

I would go on to say more but i fear moderators wrath. Its offensive though. So feel offended!

Sparrow:
Do. Want.

hazabaza1:
Why, Bioware? Why?

Let's wait to see them before we say whether they're crap or not.

Never. It is my objective to boycott anything that could ruin my beloved games!
Jokes.

But seriously, I'll wait, but I highly doubt they'll be good.

No. No.. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Okay, fine, Japan, you win. Just don't make that shit canon.

I wonder why they chose Funimation to produce it, when they haven't made a single anime. Would've preferred it if an established studio like Production I.G. took up the task.

Weeeeeeeeeeell... If they hire professional Japanese anime artists and go with the seinen genre... I might have a nerdgasm.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here