Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

Valve's mystery E3 surprise may not be Half-Life 2: Episode 3, but one unnamed source is claiming that it's the next iteration of the aging Source engine - and perhaps Half-Life 3.

In our industry, the moments surrounding E3 is always a time of year for surprises and announcements, and this year one of the biggest mysteries is, "Just what the hell is going on over at Valve?" While the PC developer had initially been planning to show Portal 2 off at a special event next week, it suddenly and abruptly canceled the event.

Rumors and (faked) images made the rounds, leading many to speculate that it would be the long-awaited announcement of Half-Life 2: Episode 3, but Valve big man Gabe Newell put the kibosh on that idea.

Now, a source who "wished to remain anonymous" has told VG247 that the announcement will be the reveal of the successor to Valve's Source Engine. If that doesn't pique your interest, how about this: Given that the major iterations of Source have thus far been headlined by the Half-Life games (HL1 on GoldSource, HL2 on Source), the source (that is, the other kind of sources) says we could also see the announcement and reveal of a full-fledged Half-Life 3.

Don't get too excited just yet, though. This is still an anonymous source and their information could be wrong - or could be little more than guesses. Dampening speculation is the fact that Valve's Newell will not be attending E3 - and if this were Half-Life 3, you'd think he'd probably want to be showing up, yeah?

Either way, we do know one thing for certain. You don't just cancel a big event for a big game right before E3 unless A.) you have something huge to replace it with, or B.) things are actually in one hell of a mess under the surface.

I know which of those two we'd all prefer.

(VG247)

If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)

...Please HL3...please HL3...Please HL3!...

Well considering it's valve I doubt things are a mess under the surface.

Everything but the pubic hairs crossed for a great announcement.

Hmm, it would be sexy to see...SUPER SOURCE in action. Still, I'd really like some info on Episode 3 a lot more, but didn't they say they wanted to make HL3 basically what Episode 3 was supposed to be anyways? ;O

Hmmm, interesting...

Such a move would certainly make up for the 6 bloody years that they have made us wait for Episode 3... and it is true that the Source engine is becomming a bit dated.

I hope it doesn't lose what makes the Source engine great though, namely the facial expressions bit.

If they wont show EP 3 why would they show HL 3?

Dude, Source two is going to be awsome, even though it will take ten years to come out

Everytime someone mentions Half-Life 3, I feel sorry for them. You poor, optimistic little children.

meh don't really care, I just want more portal.

E3 has come round fast this year...
I hope its Source engine, with the amount of brilliant games that have been made using it, I hope it gets its long deserved upgrade.
Oh and HL3 should be fun too : D

i was thinking about this today during an exam, probably not the best time, wondering whether it would be a totally new ip or whether valve would announce l4d3, then i remembered someone mentioning that source was getting old, so i reckon it will be source 2, then i come on here this evening and i read this, i must be amazingly smart, shame i probably failed my exam

EcksTeaSea:

Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.

Oh my god, Source 2. I can just see all of the cool shit this will make possible on Garry's Mod.

This bit of news is so awesome that I just died and instantaneously came back to life!

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:

Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.

Yeah, I thought about that the second after I hit post. More thinking is required next time for me.

EcksTeaSea:

Exactly, ValvE needs to make an episode 3 first so they can provide some closure for the plot of the first two episodes before they can release Half-Life 3, which (presumably) would have a completely different plot than the episodes.

Stop...planting...beautiful dreams...in my head!

I just know Valve will let me down on this one. Damn you Gabe, you've gotten arrogant! Make me believe again!

Dr. wonderful:

...Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360!

Eukaryote:
Oh my god, Source 2. I can just see all of the cool shit this will make possible on Garry's Mod.

You would probably have to pay for a new Garry's mod, though. If they spent so much time, resources, and money making a Source 2, they aren't going to give it away for free so you can add it to all your games with the old Source engine. They would lose so much money on that.

Lowbreed:
If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)

Counterstrike is currently being beefed up, so your wish is granted!

anthony87:
Well considering it's valve I doubt things are a mess under the surface.

Ermm, you do remember the release of Half Life 2 right? you know, in September 2003?, that was messy.

Aylaine:
Hmm, it would be sexy to see...SUPER SOURCE in action. Still, I'd really like some info on Episode 3 a lot more, but didn't they say they wanted to make HL3 basically what Episode 3 was supposed to be anyways? ;O

Yep, Half Life EP 1, EP2 and EP3 were essentially meant to be Half Life 3.

But judging by how Valve have kept quiet and the tech test they did with Portal, EP2 and L4D it seemed to me they were upgrading Source for a full HL3 experience.

I think they really want to blow everyone away like they did with HL1 and HL2.

Airsoftslayer93:
i was thinking about this today during an exam, probably not the best time,

Depends, what exam was it?

If it was an exam at MIT for theoretical physics with extra curriculum activities such as pushing a crystal into something, then thinking about Half Life would be perfect.

Fellas, it's not Half Life 3. If Portal 2 is running an updated version of the Source engine, why the hell would they make an entirely new Source engine and then develop another game with it at the same time?

Unless they're switching, but that's highly unlikely. Also, Newell not attending E3 crosses out any chance of something as major as Half Life 3. It just won't happen.

Consider your bubbles burst, :(

On the off chance that it IS Half Life 3 though, don't get excited because it probably won't be out for another 2-3 years.

Hmm Left 4 Dead 3:Bill's Revenge,Opposing Force 2,and Day of Defeat 2:Reach

they wouldn't release a new source engine if their flag ship is sinking (i mean HL series ending in one 6 hour episode) so if they reveal source 2 then i'd expect a HL3.

Gabe Newell, if you're reading this i will give you my first born if you do that

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:

What people seem to forget is that this is Valve. You know, those guys that took six years to make Half-Life 2.

If they had been working on Half-Life 3 with an updated Source engine since 2004, then yes. The rumor has much more appeal. But, they haven't. They specifically planned three episodes for Half-Life 2. The only Half-Life 3 they could have been working on is a Half-Life 3 that takes place after Episode 3.

So, here's what people are hoping: Since 2004, Valve has been working on HL3 (presumably with Super Source). After 2007 they realize Episode 3 is taking too long (it would actually make more sense for this to happen after 2008, but I'll be nice and throw you guys a bone). So, between 2007 and now, they scrap the crux of their HL3 plans and decide to integrate Episode 3 into HL3. These are two games with apparently different engines. And now, after doing all that, they're somehow ready to announce it just two and a half years later.

No. That's just insane.

Then again, Valve did release L4D2 in a year, so who knows? Maybe we're already living in the Twilight Zone.

Source 2 makes sense. The source engine could CERTAINLY use an overhaul. I can see a lot of people being quite disappointed, but I'd welcome this. My money is still on L4D2: Episode 1.

Has anybody thought that the anonymous source is us? I mean isn't this exactly what we were saying when we found out it wasn't going to be Portal 2 or Episode 3?

Cheeky bugger from VG247 probably just read the forums here and made us into an "anonymous source", making it easy to get a basically content-free article up on the site.. which we dutifully re-report on here.

I always had my suspicions about this Portal 2 business. It came off as a stunt, made all the more bizarre by how quickly the obscure hints were outed. Nerds take for granted how nerdy they are, I suppose. But more importantly, it came off as a premature stunt, seeing as virtually nothing about the game was revealed.

But we'll see. HL3 would certainly compel me to get through HL2...maybe...ehhh. I'm just not super-hyped about getting back into the fan-boat thing. Plus the alien face muncher jumping into the teleporter is high on my list of WORST PLOT DEVICES EVER.

*cough* but, um, yay Valve!

Must not get excited, must not excited, must not...too late.

Aylaine:

Well hopefully Super Source will look like this.

Just you watch it's going to be the Engie Update.

The Bandit:

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:

What people seem to forget is that this is Valve. You know, those guys that took six years to make Half-Life 2.

If they had been working on Half-Life 3 with an updated Source engine since 2004, then yes. The rumor has much more appeal. But, they haven't. They specifically planned three episodes for Half-Life 2. The only Half-Life 3 they could have been working on is a Half-Life 3 that takes place after Episode 3.

So, here's what people are hoping: Since 2004, Valve has been working on HL3 (presumably with Super Source). After 2007 they realize Episode 3 is taking too long (it would actually make more sense for this to happen after 2008, but I'll be nice and throw you guys a bone). So, between 2007 and now, they scrap the crux of their HL3 plans and decide to integrate Episode 3 into HL3. These are two games with apparently different engines. And now, after doing all that, they're somehow ready to announce it just two and a half years later.

No. That's just insane.

Then again, Valve did release L4D2 in a year, so who knows? Maybe we're already living in the Twilight Zone.

The thing is, Newell said that the three HL2 episodes are essentially Half Life 3:

In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Valve revealed that the just-released Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and the forthcoming Episodes 2 and 3 will serve as the third game in the series. Rather than make gamers wait another six-plus years for Half-Life 3, the developer thought people might appreciate playing the game in smaller chunks if they didn't have to wait as long.

----------

Throughout the interview, Newell refers to the episodes as Half-Life 3, and points out that they aren't considered expansions. Whereas Half-Life was about the G-man grooming Gordon Freeman to be a hero, and 2 was about how the G-man uses his creation, the episodes (Half-Life 3) focus more on the G-man and how he reacts when he loses control of Freeman.

Source: IGN

It's an old interview, but it remains Valve's official stance on the matter. Considering this, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they decided to change that philosophy and make a full-fledged third game instead.

The Austin:

Dr. wonderful:

...Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360!

...Please HL3 for PS3... Please HL3 for PS3... Please HL3 for PS3!

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Well hopefully Super Source will look like this.

Where is THAT from? o.o

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or