Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'd prefer if Half-Life 3 didn't come out until at least 2013 or even 2014. I'd much prefer it if it were 8th gen graphics rather than the current 7th gen.

Magnalian:

No way in hell can my computer run that. I'll 'settle' for Portal 2, thank you very much.

Well the only thing I'm hoping for is if it comes out on the 360, since I have a shitty ass PC.

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

Found it on a Google search. Its suppose to be a "Perhaps it will look like this" and I'm hoping it will.

I'm hoping better. xD

Hope it would look like Crysis 2.

noooo! cuz then my terribly old pc cant play it!!!!!!!!!!! lol

anyways:

PLEEAAAASSSE!!! please let it be half life 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going ahead with Half Life 3 instead of Episode 3 has been my hunch for the last year at least. I'm just not sure there's any other good excuse that it isn't out yet.

HTID Raver:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

Found it on a Google search. Its suppose to be a "Perhaps it will look like this" and I'm hoping it will.

I'm hoping better. xD

noooo! cuz then my terribly old pc cant play it!!!!!!!!!!! lol

anyways:

PLEEAAAASSSE!!! please let it be half life 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here, but Im hoping it will come out for consoles as well.

I wouldn't be surprised. It would make sense since I highly doubt that Portal 2 is going to be running on the same engine that powered the original game and some special things about Portal 2 mentioned in that one Game Informer magazine would be almost impossible to do in the current Source Engine.

John Funk:
...Valve big man Gabe Newell put the kibosh on that idea.

Don't you mean he put the kabobs on that idea? I mean, the guy's huge.

I kid, I kid (thanks for being such a great sport, Gabe!), but I love the thought of Half-Life 3. I mean, You'd think they've gone as far as they can with Half-Life 2.

I so hope that this is true, a Source Engine 2 accompanied by Half Life 3 would just be the dogs b******

Fingers, toes and unmentionables crossed it's a legit story

The Austin:

Dr. wonderful:
...Please HL3...please HL3...Please HL3!...

...Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360... Please HL3 for 360!

Maybe if we wish hard enough, Gabe will listen.

Anonymous source huh? You know what, pics or it isn't happening. I'm not getting my hopes up for this.

I mean, I can somewhat reason my way into this making perfect sense, but I won't do it. The entire point of Source is modularity and adaptability, They can run it on all the platforms they need it run on, what could justify a ground up recreation? Did they get sick of using Hammer and command line tools?

Dr. wonderful:
...Please HL3...please HL3...Please HL3!...

AT LAST A new FULL game. watch the emphasis on CAPS...

Y'know... a while back a thought popped into my head along the lines of:

"... they've been taking a long time working on Episode 3... perhaps it'll be more than an episode... perhaps a full fledged game even.... "

So if this turns out to be true.... called it.
I wouldn't mind a Counter Strike 2 either...

Also, if this post sounds a little strange, my bad... I just woke up after not sleeping for two days... I'm confused and annoyed.

Christ, they haven't even resolved issues with the old Source SDK, both of L4D games have been sort of... well, left for dead. Portal, a pinnacle of game design is getting a sequel that isn't showing up yet (and probably won't be released anytime soon) and EP3 is hundreds of years away.

Yeah, I bet they're gonna unveil a new Source and a completely new epically big installment of Half-Life. /sarcasm
I really wish we could have a new Source engine and the new SDK naming shenanigans (Source 2007, Source 2009 etc.) hint a bit to that, but I think Valve bit off more than they can chew for the moment and won't be making any spectacles such as that soon.

I've always hated that the source engine loaded in sections. It irritated me because I could sense where the compartments were, and would occasionally step back into a previous area accidentally, only to have to sit through a protracted loading screen 3 times. Other engines out there have so much to offer already, they'd really better pull out the stops for Source 3 if/when it's made public.

@Marik2
That artist's rendition or whatever it is is dead sexy, btw.

I bet it's Icefrog's (The creator of DotA in WC3) game. Valve hired him, and since this isn't likely HL3 (Sorry guys, I don't think we'll see that until after Ep:3) or Portal 2, then it makes sense to me.

The last time I got a brand-new computer was when HL2 came out. I got a monster rig that lasted quite a long time. HL3 will likely be when I get my next monster rig. Good times.

Valve has to keep Half Life going. The games are just so damn good.

Took their time, Source is rapidly becoming crap.

Valve needs to stop neglecting half-life! As much as it pains me to say this, they should drop everything (portal 2 included :,( ) and finish that series.... Its been far too long and fans are beyond tired of waiting

This probably means I'll have to upgrade my computer

Crap.

John Funk:

EcksTeaSea:
If they wont show EP 3 why would they show HL 3?

Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.

Makes sense. Gotta love the rumor mill band wagon that always comes around when E3 is just over the horizon. I'll wait til things get official before I get excited.

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

I'm hoping better. xD

That's too much IMO, then not many people would get to play it. You know?

Call me a cynic, but my money's on B.

I'm pretty sure there were rumors about this like 6 months ago :P

An anonymous source. No, I don't believe it. I'm going to wait and see. Maybe Valve will leak it on YouTube.

Anonymous source?
I said the exact same thing on this forum in the comments of the last article about Valve at E3.

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

I'm hoping better. xD

Not quite. If Valve do their incredi-optimizing, it probably won't be as system demanding as cryengine

Megacherv:
I think that it's going to be called the Ce engine, if that's what's announced

I think I get what you're going at here:

Half-life 1: goldsource engine
Half-life 2: source engine
Half-life 3: ce engine

Subtracting four letters each iteration.. aah...

No wait, I believe it was called goldSrc, not GoldSource. Anywoo, nice idea there :D

then what is the 4th iteration going to be called?... 'gine? O.o

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

I'm hoping better. xD

Not if its on consoles :P

The Bandit:
Everytime someone mentions Half-Life 3, I feel sorry for them. You poor, optimistic little children.

In seven years they will look back and say, "At least they released test footage from Duke Nukem Forever."

And I shall mock them, as I play the soon to be announced Left 4 Dead 3: 2 Ways in, 1 Way Out

Lowbreed:
If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)

If it were a new Counter Strike, that's a Valve game I would actually consider buying. I fucking loved Counter Strike.

dochmbi:
I'd prefer if Half-Life 3 didn't come out until at least 2013 or even 2014. I'd much prefer it if it were 8th gen graphics rather than the current 7th gen.

Knowing Valve, when we're in the 8th gen they'll be releasing them to finally look like 6th gen games.

Yeah, I'm gearing up for a huge disappointment. Sorry to be pessimistic, but if Newell himself isn't showing up, I'm thinking it's going to be disaster.

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Marik2:

Aylaine:

Where is THAT from? o.o

I'm hoping better. xD

Not if its on consoles :P

It wouldn't look as good, would it?

When will people learn...

'Anonymous source' either means: 'we made the entire thing up in this article for publicity' or 'some guy is screwing with the publisher and making shit up'

Really how does an 'anonymous source' have any credibility at all? It could be anyone.

However I'm definitely hoping and expecting something Half-Life related at E3.

Okay, now it's just getting annoying.

Zhukov:
Okay, now it's just getting annoying.

Oh yeah, cause that ship didnt sail 3 years ago. /sarcasm.

Lowbreed:
If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)

noooo........... *shudders* explaining is due in a future rant...

Aylaine:
-snip-

Where is THAT from? o.o

someone who could make an extremely amazing picture, but forgot what the crowbar actually looks like..... what a genius.

OT: I'd probably be happy with whatever came from them.( Except for aforementioned counter-strike(IT's time to put the dead horse out to pasture please, to me it almost feels like CSS is like the GMod servers nobody visits anymore.)

Well Things it probably isnt:
New Team Fortress, their are currently fondling TF2 to try something new. and they probably wouldnt waste all this hype on some new expansion to the existing game.

Mod-to-game, while Valve does love them modders, I havn't seen any rampant successful mods the same way pretty much how all of Valve got their games.

Steam-related, I mean the client has its own news service, and unless its some complete overhauling mega change, it wouldn't be worth the hype.

HL2 Ep3, for obivous reasons, although they are Vavle, they might pull a fast one on us.

Things it could be

HL3, Obvious from the article we are commenting on.

Complete new game, Although unless its something made of gold, it would be over hyped the second it was announced.

The Finding of the Holy Grail, as it turns out Jesus was actually the first Vortigaunt. Who knew?

That all our hopes and dreams will be fulfilled(game-wise, pervs.) at some future date. If this was the case there would be no E3, all the people who would have attended will be rioting for a months.

Or something else.

Meanwhile at the Electronic Entertainment Speculation and Prediction (EESP) Headquarters

Army Spokesman: EVeryone, please have a seat.

Seven days ago, on June 2, 2010, the Valve Corporation canceled a special event at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (also known as E3) concerning one of their upcoming games.
As many of you may know, the Valve Corporation is responsible for several of the Gaming industry's most critically acclaimed games, among them Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. The planned event at the Electronic Entertainment Expo was to promote the upcoming sequel of Valve's second most awaited sequel to the 3D puzzle game Portal.
On the Second of June, Valve sent an email to various online Video Game news agencies, the message is the following:

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise. However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word "surprise", of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you'd like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

Thank you for [[RECORD SCRATCH!!!]]

PS: The surprising record scratch is also not the surprise.

The upcoming game of Portal 2 has been the result of an Alternate Reality Game and Viral Marketing campaign on March, and the E3 event was hinted during a Valve presentation at the Game Developers Conference on March. Therefore, such a cancellation after a period of purposely fueled hype is extremely unusual.

During this period of time, the Valve Corporation was also developing a third episodic installment to the game Half Life 2, considered one of the greatest video games of the industry and the Valve Corporation's finest work. Their previous episodic installments, Half Life 2: Episode One, and Half Life 2: Episode 2, were released in no more than two years from the previous installment. As of three years from the release date of Episode 2, Episode 3 has yet to be released.
Half Life 2: Episode 3 is currently the most awaited game being produced by the Valve Corporation, and all content for the game has been kept under tight confidentiality.

Since the recent cancellation of the Portal 2 event for the Electronic Entertainment Expo, our department has traced a significant increase of hype from the Valve fanbase. In light of the cancellation of the event, various Gaming websites and discussion forums have made the speculation that the "surprise" replacing the Portal 2 event is no other than Half Life 2: Episode 3. Multiple images of promotional material for the new Valve event at the E3 (figure 1) have also fueled rumors that Episode 3 will be revealed in place of Portal 2.

However, these images were declared to be fake by the Valve Corporation, and the head of the Valve Corporation, Gabe Newell, has personally denied that the new "surprise" at the E3 is in any way Half Life 2: Episode 3.

Based on observations of various Primary sources, the EESP has made the following general possibilities about the Valve Corporation's presentation at the Electronic Entertainment Expo:

-The event is indeed the revelation of Half Life 2: Episode 3.
-The event is the revelation of both Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Portal 2
-The event is neither Half Life 2: Episode 3 or Portal 2.

Observations based on other sources including Anonymous sources, unofficial online evidence and development of Valve Corporation's other games and products point to the following possibilities:

-The event is the revelation of a new Graphics Engine and a successor to Valve Corporation's current Source engine.
-The event is the release of one or two of the remaining class trailers for Team Fortress 2.
-The event is the revelation of the third installment of the Left 4 Dead series.

The Electronic Entertainment Speculation and Prediction department is continuing to monitor this event and the Valve Corporation, and we will establish more accurate predictions once more information is released or discovered.
The Electronic Entertainment Expo is set to run from June 15 to June 17. Hopefully, our Department will produce a much narrower prediction before that date.

Any questions?

Reporter: Yes. According to one of our sources, Valve Corporation posted a hidden image on their company website hinting that they're releasing Vaporware#1254, most commonly known as Duke Nukem Forever. Is this true?

Army Spokesman: Well, that would still be very improbable. Duke Nukem Forever is currently being developed by 3D Realms, and the Valve Corporation has ownership of neither Duke Nukem Forever or 3D Realms. Furthermore, since the cancellation of the Portal 2 event, there has been a large increase of hoaxes concerning the Valve Corporation's new "surprise" at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, so your source may not be a most valid one.

Any other questions?

Good. Any further questions or inquiries should be submitted to the EESP public relations center. Thank you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here