Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

Portal 2 has been pushed back to 2011, which may have something to do with the cancellation of Valve's E3 event - which, by the way, Valve would like to remind you will be Portal themed so stop creating silly rumors.

My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusing, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and bizarre new world we find ourselves in!

Erm, I got a bit distracted there. Sorry about that.

The following just showed up as a missive from Valve, confirming that Portal 2 would not be released this year as had been intended. Like you're surprised.

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 -- Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.

Those guys really do have the best press releases, don't they?

Other than confirming that Portal 2 would be delayed like Portal 1, the announcement stressed that the Valve E3 Surprise was Portal-related. That's right, folks: No Source Engine 2, no Half-Life 3, no Half-Life 2: Episode 3, and for Pete's sake, certainly no Duke Nukem Forever. Just Portal.

Wow, it's almost like they'd like people to stop creating unfounded rumors or something.

Why am I not surprised?

EDIT: Portal 1 waon over 70 game of the year prizes!

Only Valve would have a Ghostbusters reference in a press release.

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You know what, Valve, I'm getting bored of this! Please, Gabe Newell, I will give you my first born son if you just put out a new Half Life game. I MEAN THIS.

*sobs into Half Life 2 t-shirt*

sad face

No surprises there. They may make good games, but they sure take their time about it.

Sometimes I get the suspicion that some studios actually do delay games to make them worse.

So after the developmental aberration of Left 4 Dead 2, we're back on Valve Time.

Good times man, good times.
What's the betting I'll hit 30 before Glados comes back again...

Who in the hell spread the rumor about Duke Nukem Forever?
Honestly, the game is dead. Lets all move on.

Anyway, I expect Valve to be demonstrating a real-live portal gun.

If the announcement is not Source 2 and not HL2:EP3 then I am not interested. For a company that takes so much pride in their community, they sure don't seem to be fucking listening to what they want.

w@rew0lf:
No surprises there. They may make good games, but they sure take their time about it.

Yes they do which is why half-life is great and movie tie-in games are not.

Surprise, surprise

Should write the article now for portal 2 delayed until late 2011!!!

My pre-order!!

That's what I get for thinking they've changed after keeping their l4d2 release date.

Heh. Valve is awesome.

I don't mind waiting to be honest. It's gonna be really cool.

Ahem. nothing to see here gentlemen. computer is bugging on me.

Aww... I checked yesterday and it said 2010.

Still, I thought it was too early at the time. I'm also disappointed about there being no Half Life or Source at E3.

Darn it, was really looking forward to this. Well, as they say...Valve Time :/

I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>

Happy face time. I wasn't to fond of Portal by the way...wait...isn't this a valve time kinda thing?

Assassin Xaero:
I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>

They just said the surprise is Portal related...In big bold letters too.

Aw, man! WHAT THE HELL VALVE??

Frequen-Z:
If the announcement is not Source 2 and not HL2:EP3 then I am not interested. For a company that takes so much pride in their community, they sure don't seem to be fucking listening to what they want.

My thoughts exactly, and what can they possibly have to show that is Portal-related and would make up for HL2:EP3, Source 2 and Portal 2? The only thing I can think of is free, functioning Portal Guns for all Steam users...

Reply censored....

Dont wanna say I told you so...oh wait...yes I do.
Score 1 for me.

John Funk:

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

Oh, well there you go. Valve releasing a highly anticipated title on time would destroy the space time continuum.

There are so many different rumours going around that Valve keep supporting or debunking, which makes me suspicious. Personally, I think when Valve announced the big 'surprise' for E3 this year, they knew it would cause all this speculation, so they're deliberately releasing new statements and press releases at every turn just to stoke the rumour fires. Which is great for them when it comes to publicity. And non of it wil actually matter.

I'm still convinced that it's going to be Source 2.0 announced. It makes sense, since Valve have been debunking everything so far, and there's very little it could be to do with Portal now they've said Portal 2 is being pushed back, despite what they've said. They would hardly confirm Source 2.0, or indeed any other runour, if someone accidentally hits the right note, would they? So yeah, I'm more than a little suspicious here...

John Funk:
Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, philosophical mess?!

You meant that to say "confusing", I think. Either that, or you meant it to read "Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, a philosophical mess?!" which is grammatically flawed but quite stylish.

What a surprise. Left4Dead 2 was most certainly an anomaly... or maybe it was released faster because it straddles the line between an expansion pack and a full game.

This is just getting stupid.

Frequen-Z:

^ this

So they cancel the Portal 2 press event, and are having a different "surprise" event that is Portal related. So one must assume its some new content for the original Portal, which will likely be free. Can't help but be a bit disappointed if this is the case.

Kollega:
What a surprise. Left4Dead 2 was most certainly an anomaly... or maybe it was released faster because it straddles the line between an expansion pack and a full game.

Where as this would be different than the HL episodes or any Valve sequel on the Source engine how?

It could be worse

All the more time to make more CAKE!

They could have avoided this. Valve announce release dates far too readily! Other developers are careful to make sure their game is released when they say it will be.

John Funk:

My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and confusing new world we find ourselves in!

Hay, birds fly, fish swim, Hilary Clinton wants to be president again, and Valve games get delayed.

Nevermind Valve's own timeline, how many games meet their first-announced release date anyway?

Well, I can't really say I'm surprised :P

Give your soul to satan and you get prtal three months earlier than when it normally comes out
i did it with dukenukem forver
best deal i ever made *flaming eyes and pentagram symbol on forehead* make the deal do iiiiit

OT: i hate delays and gabe newman

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or