Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Awww. Is a shame, but, at least we know its coming unlike Ep3.

Still lusting to play it though!

So the cake really is a lie then?

It's great when games are released in an episodic format. this ensures that content can be released frequently, at a fairly steady pace. Additionally, many resources such as character models, weather effects, etc. can be reused, contributing to cheaper, shorter development time. It really is a win-win situation for both publisher and consumer, as consumers are often eager to begin the next installment of one their favourite series. A perfect example of episodic gaming is the half-li... LOLWUT? oh shi-

John Funk:

My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusing, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and bizarre new world we find ourselves in!

Ok that did tickle me, and also quite accurately portrayed how alot of us are undoubtedly feeling.

I do hope all these long production times are not the result of left for dead and team fortress updates, I'm bored of them and I can't take any more people complaining about episode 3.

John Funk:

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD
"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

I'm still laughing at this. I hate the fans, but Valve are awesome.

Maybe they should do the press releases for companies that get their games out (kinda) on time? They'd be unstoppable!

It's Valve.

They've only been on time with L4D 2.

The e3 announcement is never going to make up for all the disapointment its caused so far :(

However this hasn't been unexpected.

oliveira8:

Assassin Xaero:
I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>

They just said the surprise is Portal related...In big bold letters too.

Portal themed L4D3 map?

Oh, A Valve game delayed and no news about Half Life (episode)3? I'M SO SURPRISED!
Seriously, It's like they just do they on purpose for them to giggle at us while they watch us waiting in agony.

And there we go. Good job, Valve, again you live up to my expectations by delaying the only one of your upcoming games I'd possibly be interested in and throwing the collective hope of all your die-hard fans into a giant demon-possessed blender. If you'd expected your somewhat funny press release would distract us from your inhuman incompetence in regard to time management, rest assured that you have failed. Hard.

Why did they delay it, i really enjoyed the first one and was lookimg forward to the new one. Did anyone hear about the beta:(

But...that's impossible, valve never delay their games...

Think the odds were 1/1000000 that it would release on time.

Maybe Valves next project should be a Time Portal maybe then they could keep there release dates.

I do not mind at all. As long as they're using the time to make sure that the game is pitch-perfect in almost every single way, then I don't care how long it takes. If it means that Portal 2 will reach perfection, then so be it.

I swear to [deity], if there is not cake at this event, I will buy a hat, and eat it!

Valve is probaly the only company that can destroy all life on earth with their press releases and yes, they have the most awesomesauce releases. Or it's just 'cause I love Gabe. Probaly a little bit of both.

I bet they'll have a huge GLaDOS robot hanging from the ceiling at E3... wishful thinking, but that would be so cool.

Yes, I know I'm not entitled to anything. I know Valve creates amazing games and they should have as much time as they need to finish them. I know they're really trying to make Portal into something wildly popular--but my frustration continues to mount as chances to reveal another Half-Life game fly by them like a missed view between the trees. /poetic

So essentially, I'm totally okay with Portal 2 being pushed back. It'll be all the better for it. What really cheeses me off is the apparent lack of Half-Life news, still. I feel a burning desire to bang my head against my desk until my face is pounded flat and my hair is bleeding. DAMN YOU, VALVE TIME!

OH GOD DAMNIT. FFFFFFF... i was really looking forward to this so much. Damn you Valve and you're stupid development times!

Okay, so let me get this straight; Valve first confirms that Portal 2 WON'T be at E3, but instead will be replaced by a surprise. Fans then email Gabe Newell about the Half-Life 2 Ep. 3 image and what the surprise could be, and Gabe confirms that the image is fake and the surprise ISN'T HL2 Ep. 3. Then, as of today, Valve/Aperture Science announces that Portal is delayed into 2011 and also that the surprise planned for E3 is Portal related...

...STOP IT VALVE!!! JUST STOP IT!!! Just...AAAAGH!!! STOP IT!!!

/turns into anti-fanboy

John Funk:

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES FOR THE PS3 IS TOO HARD

June 9, 2010

Those guys really do have the best press releases, don't they?

They sure do, I just needed to fix that for you.
Or do they have a new excuse yet?

Assassin Xaero:

oliveira8:

Assassin Xaero:
I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>

They just said the surprise is Portal related...In big bold letters too.

Portal themed L4D3 map?

Nice save there. ^^

I bet they've made a portal gun!

Well crap.

At least they have a sense of humour about it.

All I ask is the release all their shit BEFORE 2012

You can never be too safe, you know?

You know, it would make sense to delay Portal 2 for a new Source engine, and IF Portal 2 were using a new Source engine, then a booth showing off "something Portal-related" that isn't Portal 2 could be a new Source engine.

John Funk:

My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusing, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and bizarre new world we find ourselves in!

Erm, I got a bit distracted there. Sorry about that.

... I love you.

OT: Well, no reeeeal surprises here. Valve doesn't seem to be too great at reeling out games particularly quickly [9 years for TF2, anyone?].

Is that... an actual press release? If so, that is AWESOME.

great i was geating excited but oh well im going to buy it any way also there better give away t shirts or some thing with this installment

Sarcasm FTW.
Ahw, no suprise really but still :(

Well, shoot. I want Portal 2 but I know Valve. They will delay a game until they think it's good enough. Patience is a virtue when you're a Valve fan but the payoff is oh so sweet.

Valve are you just trying to make your fans hate you at this point?

Maybe its portal on Source 2.0.

noooooo! we were so close to having no delays.... why do i get my hopes up?

This is Valve, so I'm not surprised at all. Just hope they give something worthwhile at E3.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here