U.S. Government Proposes "Internet Kill Switch"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 25 NEXT

I could understand the concept of closing off the internet to government buildings/servers, where the "sensitive" information is stored (although if it's that damn sensitive, it shouldn't be in a computer hooked to the internet in the first place), but not the whole of the internet (if that would even be possible at this point). Hell, that's the equivalent of turning off all the phone service in the US any time any terrorist activities happen. It wouldn't prevent anything (after all, if they are already in doing their "cyber terrorism", it's too late), and would just cripple the rest of the country that's not affected by the attack, essentially giving more power to the terrorist, not less. Complete fail.

GrinningManiac:
HA! Loving the mocking, Mr. Chalk. Cyber-this and Cyber-that

Mr. Government,
[/i]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means[/i]

OT: Is this just for the US? Cus I'm questioning why they would have any right to turn off British internet, considering A) They HAVE no right and B) We technically invented it

I thought that the US military invented it? please tell me more!

That would be the single most retarded thing to ever happen. What about people in other countries anyway?

GrinningManiac:

Mr. Government,
[/i]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means[/i]

OT: Is this just for the US? Cus I'm questioning why they would have any right to turn off British internet, considering A) They HAVE no right and B) We technically invented it

My United Technologies professor says that it was a joint project between North America,Britain,and segments of Canada.

Hmmm.

Mr. Grey:

craddoke:
Oh, Lieberman! What zany right-wing paranoid fear-mongering will you bring us next? And, more importantly, what civil liberties crushing solution will you propose?

Gut miranda rights? Check. Deny accused criminals other basic rights? Check. Pave the way for a government seizure of the internet? Check.

I could have sworn Lieberman was an Independent Democrat. So wouldn't he be left wing? Or is that the problem? I haven't paid much attention with politics, they've increasingly made me jaded and depressed.

Lieberman is registered as an Independant Democrat, but that's in name only. His views are VERY much in line with the conservatives and I doubt he's got much of a political career left. The more time goes on, the further right he's swinging.

I was sitting on the fence with this until they mentioned "Cyber 9/11" and they revealed the bill for what it really is.

Wouldn't that be counterproductive? Doesn't the Fed. Government want a way to get information to it's citizens in an emergency? They can't count on TV or Radio anymore because more and more people are like me and don't use either.

GrinningManiac:

Mr. Government,

And we'll pull out of Afghanistan if they do.

Ha, why? Like some super-evil Lex Luger's gonna hack into US goverment computers si bad that a killswitch is pressed?

Lizmichi:

Grouchy Imp:

Lizmichi:
Oh my good lord. I can see it now, so we'll lose words in our language and they'll be able to listen to us threw our TVs. If anyone gets what I'm referencing I will be surprised.

Although this sounds like another knee-jerk reactionary scare story to me.

Yay someone reads. Someone reads a good book too. Yea I hope this is just a farce so I don't have to start making sighs and find some way to DC and protest this. Cause I will.

...and I knew I'd get beaten to it. -,- Okay, but it's time for round two. If 1984 plays on our fear which books dystopia plays on our pleasures?

I was sitting on the fence with this until they mentioned "Cyber 9/11" and they revealed the bill for what it really is.

Anything to take away freedom in the name of freedom, huh? Fuck Lieberman.

Hmm. How are they planning to implement this exactly? I'm wondering if this is where they got their definition of the internet from:

Edit:Grr. Embedding disabled.

Woodsey:
Oh yeah?

Well the US government can suck my cock.

i Second this.

The trouble with all of this is that they can't just shut down the US internet. Yes, the internet was developed in conjunction with the British and several other countries, however, there is still a signifigant amount of hardlines and communications systems that are used to connect what is essentially "the internet" to the general public of the United States. Who owns these hardlines and sattilites? The United States.

An internet kill switch wouldn't be able to shut it down just like that with a virus or something, that just isn't feasible. What would more than likely happen is that when the order is given, all hardlines would be cut, essentially destroying communications with the sattilites. This would immediately cancel out the transmission of data from server to server, and shut down the internet. Would it only affect the US? The answer is a resounding FUCK NO.

Not every country can afford a communications web, so many countries piggyback off off the EU and US systems, thus avoiding the need to make their own. This is a problem, as the vast majority of these countries get that service from the United States, and if this kill switch were to be activated, the US and any other countries that use that comm system will be completely cut off from the rest of the world. Not only that, but a large portion of the internet's data is stored in US servers, which would devestate the internet if shut down. Even countries with their own comm systems would be affected, as many commerce and business sites are located on US servers, and a lot of foreigners and Europeans use US servers for their reliability and space.

Needless to say, that the very existance of this "kill switch" would be bordering on an international war crime. I can't even think about the abhorable disaster that could potentially take place if it were ever activated. Somebody seriously needs to step in and take charge of these incredibly unstable government officials.

TheRightToArmBears:
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

This is insane. I cannot think of any event that is even remotely feasible that would require the entire internet to be turned off.

I remember that in some post-apocalyptic movie the internet was turned off. Don't remember why though. Maybe they're getting ready?

Now it's time to setup our pirate IP stations. We each create a hacked wireless home moden and attach a massive antenna and a hacked torrent program on it.Whenever someone wants something snippits and bits from the website, people who already loaded the website, and people who are loading the website. They wave of knowledge will rush to them in a wonderful flurry. Don't forget to seed idiots. >.<

This sounds very cyber-serious!

Leiberman: I ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE INTERNETS!

The World: THE WHOLE THING?!??!

(EDIT: I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.)

That flase and homosexual, misleading and bicurions, wrong and ....not straight. Screw the US goverment thinking it could just turn off the internet when it wan'ts to the internet does no belong to anyone if they mess with the internet the internet will just mess them the ____ up.

feather240:

Lizmichi:

Grouchy Imp:

Lizmichi:
Oh my good lord. I can see it now, so we'll lose words in our language and they'll be able to listen to us threw our TVs. If anyone gets what I'm referencing I will be surprised.

Although this sounds like another knee-jerk reactionary scare story to me.

Yay someone reads. Someone reads a good book too. Yea I hope this is just a farce so I don't have to start making sighs and find some way to DC and protest this. Cause I will.

...and I knew I'd get beaten to it. -,- Okay, but it's time for round two. If 1984 plays on our fear which books dystopia plays on our pleasures?

That would be Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. Do I win anything?

thenumberthirteen:
Don't scoff at the risk this could be Cyber 9/11 times 1000!

The trouble with the internet is it was designed to withstand Nuclear attacks. You can't stop the signal.

Wow, that would be Cyber 911,000!

Cyber 9/11? How would that work? Do the terrorists attack a monument with a cyber suit or a cyberdemon? If so, we can just shoot it until it dies. Not joking though, the horrors of 9/11 can not be recreated on the internet. Mainly, people won't die, unless the terrorists somehow figure out how to turn our computer monitors into malicious floating cyber squids with chainguns and the screen filled with Osama Bin Laden's face. I doubt that.

To me, this sounds like an ability to switch off the internet whenever free speech or free access to information becomes too inconvinient for goverments.

Is this something to take that seriously? It feels as if politicians attempt to make people paranoid in order to impose laws that work to their own advantage in some way.

I just hope the cyber-officials can come up with some cyber-defense strategies for the cyber-events which cyber-threaten the cyber-lifestyle we've all cyber-become cyber-used to... cyber....

Seriously, "cyber" is to this article what "spcae" is to the Metroid series.

Dalton Frantz:

thenumberthirteen:
Don't scoff at the risk this could be Cyber 9/11 times 1000!

The trouble with the internet is it was designed to withstand Nuclear attacks. You can't stop the signal.

Wow, that would be Cyber 911,000!

Americans: LEIBERMAN, WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT CYBER 9/11's POWER LEVEL?

Leiberman: ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The World: WHAT 9000!?

Mr President, can you turn the light switches off? NO, NOT THAT ONE!

Cyber-resources? Like what? Farmville?

Running with the 9/11 allegory: shutting the entirety of the US internet holdings down when trouble comes a-calling, would be equivalent to demolishing the entire city of new york when the planes crossed city limits.

I got the ref Lizmichi.

Sadly it looks like its going that way.. complete OTT bull used as an excuse to give them more power, I'm in England and thats still scary.

Anyway I'm off to get some Victory Gin.

USA also wants insight in Europeans Bankaccounts to spot "Terrorism".

Fuck you, glad I don't live in such idiotic country. But I would emigrate if I graduate from college, Netherlands loves hoarding taxes over us.

GOD! why wont Lieberman just die already. The bastard is a traitor that left his party to split votes and win. He is a thieving, conniving bitch

This is insane. Doing something like this is totally unconstitutional.

Alright everyone, The Government here... We will be installing bombs underneath all your houses just in case your house should ever become a breeding ground for aliens!

That's what happens when you watch Tron on Alcohol and Anti-Depresants

Sounds like it could be used to just cut off the information supply at will. Too much like the powers of a dictator to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 25 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here