Gamers Don't Get to Keep OnLive Purchases

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Gamers Don't Get to Keep OnLive Purchases

Think you're buying that game on OnLive? Think again.

OnLive launched yesterday, but you might want to think twice before buying any content on the service. OnLive gives subscribers the choice of either renting a game for a few dollars, or paying a little more - up to $60 for AAA titles - for unlimited access. While playing games on the service requires an active subscription, an account can be suspended by the user at any time and for any reason. Should an account remain suspended for 12 months, however, OnLive will automatically close it, resulting in the loss of all content.

Sections 12 and 13 of the OnLive Terms of Service state: "OnLive will close your Account if it not resumed within twelve (12) months of the last suspension ... Closing your Account will immediately and permanently terminate your access to the Service using the closed Account; immediately and permanently terminate your access to all content, messages ... or anything that may be of value directly or indirectly associated with the Account, if any, whether purchased or not."

There's plenty to be excited about with OnLive, but unless you're willing to pay for the service forever, I'd think long and hard before buying anything on it. You might decide that some games are worth your cash - and not all games will cost $60 - as long as you aren't under any illusions that your purchases are yours to keep.

Source: Dvice

I still dont like the idea of it...I prefer my media to be tangiable..

This is going to become more and more common - with everything from video games to ebooks now that the subscription model is the new norm. I hope it's just a phase, but there's the nagging feeling that this is the beginning of the end for personal ownership of electronic media.

It's shit like this why digital distribution won't work.

Hmm, interesting. Though it is sort of a given that you'd be unable to access your content once your account was suspended, I never actually thought that they would delete your account.

I'll still sign up, though I'll be wary of what I buy.

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't even know what this is! Woo!

I don't see a place for this service. The only way it would be worth it is if you could buy games at an extreme discount. As it is you're paying just as much as you would for a console, you need to be connected to the internet to get and use your content, and you can't keep what you buy. It's worse than a console in nearly every conceivable way.

The one advantage it has is that you can play some PC games without needing a high-end rig but 1. everyone who would use this already has a computer 2. Mid-range gaming rigs are just one or two hundred dollars more than a bargain PC. Playing games at less than top specs might not be ideal but I think a vast portion of the consumer base would take the advantages of a full blown PC over what On-Live offers.

I'm glad to see someone experimenting with this technology and I'm hopeful something might come of it down the road but I really don't expect much from On-Live.

Ya know, I have an account, got the free year for this thing... but every time I sign in, it brings me to a screen saying that the service is launching June 17th.... and I can't click on anything else. I go back to the home screen, and I'm logged out. Not sure wtf is going on with that, but I'd kinda like to give my free year a go....

The Admiral:

So digital distribution isn't working? I'm pretty sure steam would disagree with you. So would my 152 games on there.

Soooomething tells me this is gona fail miserably...

They simply haven't advertised it enough, nobody knows of it or remembers of it =\

Also, this legal stuff has further discouraged me from using the system... doesn't that mean that, in the case that it shuts down due to unpopularity, you lose all your games with no refund?

The Admiral:

I'm pretty sure Steam is pretty successful digital sales. As far as losing your content, it doesn't seem any different than losing a character in an MMO when you get banned.

If you can see the point in this series of numbers then I hope you can see the point in the choices that the makers of ONLive is making.

Sometimes, we take breaks from gaming. I haven't played my PC much at times, and sometimes, for a year. No this isn't worth it.

Calumon: Could be worse, does the internet have to be always on? Oh right... Okay then.

Didn't I first hear about this two years ago, then haven't heard ANYTHING about it before now? Good advertising.

When I first heard about this I liked the sound of it. Now, the more I read into it...I'm gonna pass. I'm just not a fan of having to rent my games, and that's really all this is.

Also this-

Simalacrum:

Also, this legal stuff has further discouraged me from using the system... doesn't that mean that, in the case that it shuts down due to unpopularity, you lose all your games with no refund?

Destal:

The Admiral:

As far as losing your content, it doesn't seem any different than losing a character in an MMO when you get banned.

Maybe, but you don't pay 40 quid for the character on top of the subscription.

Wow, Onlive launched?
I thought it died out years ago.

Hmm... The only real niche I can see OnLive fitting is as a PC game rental service, and even then I think it'll be too expensive (subscription + rental fees = a bit much), especially compared to something like Steam and its sales.

The Admiral:

@Topic

This has officially destroyed any interest I have in OnLive.

That sucks.

Flying-Emu:

The Admiral:

@Topic

Yeah, I got banned from steam for no reason when I had like $70 on there, but I also on another account got taken away around $15-$30, so in conclusion, steam is a rip off.

Well as i understand the full 60$ price tag is for actually unlimited access to the game. I suppose most of the customers of such service will rather rent a game every now and then to play it when they actually want/have time for it instead clogging their account with thousands of games they lost interest in or found lacking.

The 'hardcore' crowd has their consoles/PCs anyway to be bothered with such novelties.

This is literally the first time I have ever even heard of OnLive. And I usually am quite knowledgeable in these things, Regardless, I have Steam, Retail purchases, and Impulse to go through. Why would I EVER want this (something that requires a subscription)?

Ridgemo:

Destal:

The Admiral:

As far as losing your content, it doesn't seem any different than losing a character in an MMO when you get banned.

Maybe, but you don't pay 40 quid for the character on top of the subscription.

Yes, you do. You have to purchase the game still.

The Admiral:

God how I love Steam. And one of the wonderful things about Steam is that I can still play content I own WHEN I'M DEPLOYED! As opposed to other methods or games that want you to have a live internet connection.

Seriously Developers & Publishers - you start taking the ability to game away from military people and you're going to have a lot of disgruntled people. Not that you really care about that I think (Blizzard with your no LAN play...).

Yes, you do. You have to purchase the game still.

Ahhh true. I spose people just think it's slightly different because they can buy games that you won't get banned from, if you get what i mean. Plus if you buy a significant amount of games which could tally quite high, the amount you'd lose from the account being out-right deleted would be substantialy higher.

Persi:

Flying-Emu:

The Admiral:

@Topic

Yeah, I got banned from steam for no reason when I had like $70 on there, but I also on another account got taken away around $15-$30, so in conclusion, steam is a rip off.

Ummm may i ask why you were banned in the first place, because in my experience Steam and Valve have been nothing but courteous to their users and will only ban you if you majorly breach their TOS.

Wait a minute! So you have to pay for the subscription AND the games!? WTF is up with that. At least with other similar models, like XBL, there are still uses for the subscription if you don't buy any games. This is just... retarded.

Fail. That sums up what i have to say. It kinda reminds me of an MMORPG deleting your characters after inactivity, which is hadrly done any more DUE TO COMMON SENSE but there are still some cases. What you're basically telling your customers is that their time and money is not appreciated, and that you don't even want the ones that quit back. Seriously, why should I or anyone come back to your service after you deleted my account? It's obvious that you don't want me back, is it not? 12 months may sound like a long and appropriate period, but if you plan to operate for any longer than that, this WILL happen, and you WILL alienate customers.

Oh, and it launched? Any "reviews" around? From the Escapist? Pretty please? ^^

BlueberryFalacy:

Persi:

Flying-Emu:

The Admiral:

@Topic

Ummm may i ask why you were banned in the first place, because in my experience Steam and Valve have been nothing but courteous to their users and will only ban you if you majorly breach their TOS.

No clue, it just said that my account was disabled, and I have no idea why.

Steam is a nice compromise. Plus, they have ridiculous sales all the time which all but guarantees that you can get the digital games cheaper than the disc-based counterparts. That makes sense. This is just shit, however. The games are already expensive enough. Now you want to charge possibly the same price for a digital copy, and I lose it if I cancel my service after a year? Fuck that.

I thank the Escapist for bringing this to our attention.

They just lost a highly potential constumer. Glad someone is reading them sections out for us. I am too lazy, admitted.

Persi:
]

How long ago?

BlueberryFalacy:

Persi:
]

How long ago?

Maybe a month? Because I tried to logg in after not logging in for a very long time, and then I figured out that I was banned.

I was wondering if your content would disappear if you stopped paying the monthly fee

OnLive is a definite no go now.

Hahahahahaha! It was already a crap waste of money that was never going to work before this! I can't believe how stupid this shit sounds! Seriously, this WILL fail. I would put money on it.

Destal:

The Admiral:

I'm pretty sure Steam is pretty successful digital sales. As far as losing your content, it doesn't seem any different than losing a character in an MMO when you get banned.

Except you broke the rules to get banned knowing the consequences. If you can't fit OnLive into your budget due to losing your job or w/e, you also lose access to all the games you ever bought, and run the risk of them disappearing in a year.

This is complete bullshit and I really hope no one bothers with this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here