New Pac-Man TV Series Could Tackle Racism

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Pac-Man TV Series Could Tackle Racism

A Marvel movie producer wants to revive the Pac-Man TV series in 3D, and he wants it to have more depth than just fighting ghosts: It could tackle social issues like racism, too.

This gets filed under "wait, what?": At an E3 2010 gathering celebrating Pac-Man's 30th birthday, Marvel producer Avi Arad dropped a bomb - he wanted to bring the iconic yellow puck back into the limelight with a TV show. The show would be created with CGI animation, and also filmed in stereoscopic 3D for those with fancy-pants new 3D-capable televisions.

But that's not the weird part, oh no. I mean, Pac-Man isn't as famous these days as he once was, but he's still an instantly recognizable icon. Bringing him back for a TV show isn't a horrible idea; it'd certainly spark nostalgia in children of the 80s.

The weird part is just how much depth Mr. Arad imagines in the little yellow puck's world.

"We wanted to keep Pac-Man the same lovable guy he has always been, but [put him[ in the 21st century," Arad told Variety. "We [also] wanted to talk about real stories and ... see how they can relate to our lives, being in high school and being a teenager. At the end of the day, it's the story of a reluctant hero."

Here I thought it was the story of a guy who was gobbling down pellets and fighting ghosts. Wow, I must have missed a ton. But that's not all, because Mr. Arad also sees in Pac-Man the option to use fantasy elements to explore real social issues.

"We feel we have a unique opportunity to have an action adventure, human interest story ... [as] a filmmaker, it's a unique opportunity to get to know the characters you play. We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."

Will Ms. Pac-Man just be Pac-Man putting on a bow and lipstick as he explores his own gender identity? I guess we'll find that out, too.

(Via MTV Multiplayer)

John Funk:

This gets filed under "wait, what?"

Yeah, hopefully permanently filed.

Although, could it actually be worse than this...

Wait, what the shit? This is the craziest thing ever.

I think my brain just ate itself... what?

This guy is pulling stuff out of his ass.

What?...........................Really?......................Are you kidding me? Can Pac-man really tackle social issues, I' m mean what happens if he eats a power pellet? Does he go into a long exposition about the the equality of all individuals or somthing?

Where did they get racism, social commentary, and "reluctant hero" about a pie man that eats balls?

I think the producer is trying to tackle common sense with this one.
I have no idea how they're going to even attempt this one.

How will pac man tackle racism? I mean, all of the "Pacs" or whatever they would be called are yellow.

I really don't see this being a good idea at all. Here's hoping that this is the last we hear of it.

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

John Funk:

"We feel we have a unique opportunity to have an action adventure, human interest story ... [as] a filmmaker, it's a unique opportunity to get to know the characters you play. We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."

YES!

W...T...F Pac-man has no fucking story! Its about a thing that eats pellets, thats it!

Pacman! he could entertain us way back when, and now! He can fix our social problems too! All for been a small, part eaten yelloe pie!

Say whaaaat?

I'm sorry, but I just can't see-- for the life of me, even-- how this is anything other than a horrible idea wrapped in the trappings of a nostalgia trip.

/facepalm

This strikes me as not as weird as I initially thought. Think about how many old kids shows hit problems like their dads an alcoholic, gang violence, divorce, domestic abuse, parents running a racketeering operation in the basement, father being a traitor to the country, evil russians kidnapping poor red white and blue kids, uhhh bullying. So I can see somehow they would work racism into pacman. I mean the ghosts are different colors.

DON'T! DO NOT SCREW OVER THE YELLOW PIZZA MAN!

wat.

If they try to say Pacman is asian, or something of that ilk, how are they going to explain away his pill eating habbits, and his regular use of psychedelics?

Wouldn't this be potentially be racist in its self?

I fear that this venture will result in a story about this pill-popping junkie in a yellow ball cap hiding in a corner as he hallucinates that a quartet of evil spirits are after him. In his delirium, the hero basically goes on a rampage through the city.

I also fear that people will watch this movie, which will validate future attempts to make more like it.

He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land

So I'll take it Ms. Pac-Man will be saved for the Valentines day special?
(Update: For the Safe Sex episode of course)

Anywho, I'm gonna go with "......"

Never seen the original Pac-man show (Outside of part of a Christmas Special), but I think I'll go ahead and avoid this.
Still, if it brings in the Monies, they may as well go for it.

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Funk:

I'm sure that there's a ton of innuendo there. How about the ghosts coming out of the closet?

Colored ghosts are all hooligans who try to mob you in alleys for your dots.

jad4400:
What?...........................Really?......................Are you kidding me? Can Pac-man really tackle social issues, I' m mean what happens if he eats a power pellet? Does he go into a long exposition about the the equality of all individuals or somthing?

C'mon... It might be awesome, or So-Bad-It's-Good.

Like: Pac-Man and Gay Marriage!

My first tought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZptx6UQLk

I do see some potential in the idea. I just have a feeling that more likely than not, it's gonna be written pretty ham handedly.

ultimateownage:
Wait, what the shit? This is the craziest thing ever.

Amen, this is just batshait crazy. Do not tamper with things that were good because they were NOT used for these issues.

Yeah, he's racist towards ghosts until he learns of their plight and their struggle. If this actually does materialize and they do an episode on racism I can guarantee my mind will thoroughly be blown.

This is the most idiotic idea I've heard this month. How the hell is a Pac-Man TV series supposed to work? The game doesn't normally have a plot! There's nothing to elaborate on! It's like spinning a story out of Pong. This is going to fail.

Oh great... a re-imagining...

So, long story short, they are replacing Inky with a black ghost, Blinky with a Chinese ghost, Pinky with a gay ghost, and Clyde with someone from Texas?

Shouldn't this be filed under the "What the f---?! 0_o" category more than the "Wait, what?" category?

Uh... this is...

not good. Lol.

Although since an already horrible tv show adaptation was made before, this can't get too much worse.

There's an upside to this. A lot of people lately have been going into movies, planning on making it a cheesy, so-bad-it's-good cheese fest that has to be seen to be believed. Snakes on a Plane is a great example. However, a mixture basic competence tricking the filmmaker into useing sensible approaches, and the sense that the cheese is forced to produce the so bad its good effect, undermines most of these films and shows, leaving them...not necessarily bad, but far flatter then expected. With this man, judging from the interview, we finally have a creator who is genuinely batshit insane, with absolutely zero grounding in reality. It could rekindle that exhilarating sense that not only is this train wreck a glorious abortion of taste, but the creator seems to believe that he honestly said something of great artistic value. Delusion of this scale is so entertaining, it probably deserves a noble prize of some variety.

Dear God people are fuckin stupid. How the fuck did we as a species last this long is beyond me.

PAC IS YELLOW OMG MAJOR ASIAN INFLUENCE DETECTED. ASIAN PAC MAN WILL OBLITERATE PLANET EARTH.

Sometimes, some people DO need to be slapped in the face and called stupid.

This is one of those times.

It's not cruel, it's not mean. It's for his own good.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here