Move Puts Heavy Rain DLC on "Indefinite Hold"

Move Puts Heavy Rain DLC on "Indefinite Hold"

Motion controls win out over DLC on Heavy Rain's cold streets.

If you're eager to explore more of the dark world of Heavy Rain, then you're in for some disappointment. Production of new episodes of Heavy Rain Chronicles has been put on "indefinite hold" while Quantic Dream adds Move support to the original game.

The first downloadable episode, a prequel entitled The Taxidermist, was given away free to those who pre-ordered the game, and was made available for purchase on PSN soon after the game's release. The second episode was supposed to feature the Origiami Killer as a playable character, but now its future seems uncertain.

According to Quantic Dream's Guillame de Fondaumière, Sony encouraged the company to focus on adding motion controls, rather than creating more content for the game. de Fondaumière said that work on more downloadable content might resume once Move controls had been implemented, but that Quantic Dream was more likely to start work on its next project instead.

Susan Arendt gave the Move version of Heavy Rain a try at E3. Look for her thoughts on it soon.

Source: Game Informer via 1up

I still hope that it will come out. I really liked Heavy Rain, and although the first DLC was pretty short, it was still enjoyable.

Aww, come on?
Seriously, who is going to get themselves a copy of Heavy Rain just because it has motion controls?
Now new episodes, that would be absolutely fantastic for people who already completed the game, got all the endings and trophies etc. (like meeeee).

Talk about a kick in the balls, but I found the game tedious so I cheer! I keed..

Who's making the decisions over there? Because he really needs to be beaten until he's sane.

Move support makes sense for Heavy Rain I guess. I am pleased that they might not bother with any more DLC after that, I'd rather see another full game sooner.

Time to drop a large spoiler.

So it begins...
A casual, and I pronounce casual the same way i would pronounce, for example "amoeba", gimmick hurting real gamers.
It was a good run guys, now lets all go buy a wii.

i just want them to port heavy rain to pc then i will be happy

Irridium:

Yep, to those who haven't played it, the news sounds better than it actually is.

But the thing about the motion controls... this is probably the only non-casual game that I can think of that motion controls would improve the game. I'm still not going to buy Move for it, but I can imagine that it would really help.

Well, at least move has less gimmicks on launch then Kinect...

Straying Bullet:
Talk about a kick in the balls, but I found the game tedious so I cheer! I keed..

Yea, I think any sort of change to the controls would help.
Good idea, I say

Wiggly gimmicks over content win again.
Bad move on Sony's part, this won't make people happy.

Carnagath:
Move support makes sense for Heavy Rain I guess. I am pleased that they might not bother with any more DLC after that, I'd rather see another full game sooner.

Can you please explain how that works? It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?

Saw it coming a mile away and sold off my copy. Could foresee zero reason to continue to keep it. Not like I'd ever play it more than once.

Not G. Ivingname:

Carnagath:

It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?

I guess it -was- mostly QTEs but I've personally never seen any so well implemented. Felt very natural and wasn't immersion breaking at all. Added to it, to be quite honest.

Straying Bullet:

That's actually part of Microsoft's ad campaign. They're the only motion based controller that allows you to directly kick your opponent in the balls.

That being said, if a game of this quality didn't make me go and buy a PS3, the extra cost of a motion sensing version of it sure as hell won't.

Not G. Ivingname:

Carnagath:

Can you please explain how that works? It is mostly just QTE's, how is that improved by adding waggling?

Well, all the Sixaxxis gestures will play better on Move, and I'm guessing they might replace some of the QTE's with some Move inputs that are a bit more interesting than just "Press X". When and if I buy the Move controller, I can definitely see myself giving Heavy Rain another playthrough just to see how it "behaves" after the update, while otherwise it would just be gathering dust on the shelf, and that's pretty cool. I definitely prefer a reason to play the game again to just another 30-minute long, 15$ DLC. This milking needs to stop and they need to work on their next game instead imho.

Screw motion controls. Who are these companies hiring to say "Add motion controls! It's all the rage!!!"

Hmm that sucks for ps3 users however I think that would be a good thing not to play the killer. The main way fear is caused is by the unknown which creates fear

The killer becomes detailed then the fear goes away

At least in my opinion

They managed to squeeze DLC into Heavy Rain?

Wow.

And to think I still remember when I didn't hate the idea of DLC.

That's expected. I'm still pissed about it though. How many people actually care about this Move thing? And how good is it anyway? I saw footage of it in action during a SOCOM demo, and it looked way off. Hell, all this motion control is irritating. Everybody has to put everything else on hold so they can all make stuff for something that will fail within a year anyway.

Irridium:

This is what I was wondering too. Did they just say that to make it sound cooler before the game actually came out?

And here is the perfect argument of why motion controls are gimmicks:

Adding it to a game is more important than continuing the story. Than SELLING DLC.

And you thought it was awkward when the wife/girlfriend/dog walked in on you during the sex scene before.

I don't really care, Heavy Rain was great don't get me wrong, but if they continue busting out 10 minute DLC's for 4.99 i'm not purchasing anything more.

I'm pretty sure most casuals won't be able to wrap their heads around this game as is.

I'm also pretty sure most real gamers have already played it, and were looking forward to dlc.

Huzzah for casuals!

I haven't finished it yet but even though I've pretty much just started the only thing going through my head is that this game will be one of the few that would be significantly improved with motion controls, so long as they're well implemented.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here